The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2011, 11:53 PM   #1
praetorian97

Case head sep

Just got done checking 760 rounds of 223/556 for CHS. How often do you guys find cases about to separate? I hear I'll know when I feel one with a paper clip but so far nothing.
Old August 16, 2011, 05:42 AM   #2
PA-Joe

Head separation primarily occurs with bottleneck cases. You should be able to get 5-10 reloads before any signs unless you are over working the shoulders or are reloading very hot.
Old August 16, 2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Hog Buster

It’s been my experience that cases split or primer pockets get blown out long before any case head separation occurs. I guess that if you have excessive head space it may occur more often in auto/semi-auto weapons. The last, and only, case head separations I’ve ever had was with a Browning 1919A4 many years ago, caused by improper head space adjustment. I never check cases for it anymore.