The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 11, 2012, 08:44 PM   #1
federali

Recommend a Safe?

I have a large, long-gun safe, actually, a fire cabinet, but it's very old and I don't know how long it can withstand a determined effort to break into it. I'd like to acquire a new and smaller safe, about the size of a college dorm refridgerator, exclusively for my handguns and misc. small valuables. In searhing the net, I found many listings but I really don't know which safes are truly entry-resistant and which can be cracked by a seven-year old.

Might you guys recommend some safe companies known for quality products?

Many thanks for your help.
Old January 11, 2012, 09:51 PM   #2
dev_null

I bought a Liberty some years back. Pricey, and weighs a ton, but fire resistant and strong. http://www.libertysafe.com/
Old January 11, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3
shoptroll

Ditto. Can't go wrong with a Liberty.
Old January 11, 2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Don H

I've noticed around here that there are a lot of used commercial burglary safes about that size that are decently priced. Perhaps that might be the case in your area.
Old January 12, 2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Fargazer

You've got several factors to consider; how you evaluate them will determine what you need:
  • Type of threat
    • Smash and grab, trying to get in and out as fast as they can.
    • Burglars willing to spend time searching the house and opening cabinets / locked rooms / chests.
    • Professionals willing to bring serious equipment.
  • Time
    • How fast will the police arrive? The faster they respond, the less secure a container you need.
    • Are you in an isolated area, or are there neighbors often about?
  • Value of your guns
    • The more valuable your stuff, the more money it's worth to invest in security.
    • How much of your stuff can be replaced with the proper insurance policy, and how much is irreplaceable (sentimental value, or one of a kind items)?
Without answering those items, it's hard to give specific advice, though DonH has an excellent suggestion to look at used commercial safes. There are a couple simple things you can do to help, regardless of whatever solution you choose:
  • Make sure any equipment that could break into a safe is locked up. Nothing like being robbed using your own sledgehammers, bolt cutters, and so on.
  • Fasten down any container you use; if you don't, you risk the burglars taking the whole safe and open it at their leisure.
  • Keep your firearms out of sight of guests and contractors.
Do a search for posts by a1abdj; he runs a professional safe and vault company in the St. Louis area, and has given excellent advice on this type of topic in the past.
Old January 12, 2012, 10:10 AM   #6
JonnyP

My vote would be for a Sturdy. I love mine. Just google Sturdy Safes and check them out.
Old January 13, 2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Chilli9880

If you're looking for something that's strictly a handgun/valuables safe, this is the perfect one for you. You can screw it into studs and down to a shelf. Its extremely easy to set up and easy to access. I have 3 pistols comfortably inside plus about 3 boxes of shells plus about 5 different clips inside. Take a look... if you don't like this particular safe, this website has many other options.

http://www.gunsafes.com/SportLock/Sa...arge-Safe.html
Old January 13, 2012, 01:07 PM   #8
ngragg

Recommended safes

Old January 13, 2012, 02:08 PM   #9
a1abdj

Quote:
I really don't know which safes are truly entry-resistant and which can be cracked by a seven-year old.
Anything with a lock will be entry resistant, it's simply a matter of whether that resistance is for 2 seconds, or 60 minutes.

If you need a "truly entry resistant" safe, then what you need is something with a UL TL-15 or higher burglary rating. None of the safes mentioned so far would come anywhere close to offering this type of protection, except the used safes mentioned by Don H.

Craigslist is a great place to start if you're willing to get something used, but you really need to know what you're looking at. A real local safe and vault company will cost you more, but you'll know exactly what you're getting.