The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 25, 2002, 08:14 PM   #1
LASur5r

Fastest rig...How fast?

In a real self-defense situation, your life may depend on getting your gun out of it's holster pretty quick.

What kind of rig do you stake your life on and how quick is quick enough?

I'm still experimenting, so I'd appreciate your input.
Old March 26, 2002, 07:44 AM   #2
jar

Which holster I use depends on the situation. I use a High Noon Holster Mr. Softy for IWB carry. It's certainly not fast but allows very good concealment.

When wearing a suit coat or over shirt allows a belted rig I use the Topless or Need for Speed. They are both from High Noon Holster. I always order ming ligned because the lining reduces friction and also stiffens the holster some. The biggest difference between the two is the amount of cant. The Topless has a slight FBI cant while the Need for Speed is almost a horizontal rig.

see High Noon Holsters
Old March 26, 2002, 08:12 AM   #3
New_comer

In the film "Silverado" Jeff Goldblum simply flicked his arm and out came a Derringer. Now that's fast! I don't know if they still make rigs like that nowadays.

A fanny pack could also do the trick. Simply pull down the velcro-ed front pouch and draw out your full size gun! But it may be easily made out.

There may be other methods that i haven't heard of or read about, but AFAIK, these two methods are the fastest, though may not be the best for you...

New_comer

USP9F, Remington 870

"It not in the size of the thing, it's how you use it..."
Old March 28, 2002, 01:56 AM   #4
skeeter

The first holster that i had that was really fast was a discontinued Ted Blocker teflon lined holster for my Colt Trooper. It was fully lined with a thick peice of white teflon ( with matching speed loaders). I liked it because if it got wet ( which never happened) the gun would stay dry. Next fastest rig was an Alessi horizontal shoulder holster with its pull through retaining snap for my Detonics Combat Master .45. What I carry now is by far the fastest. It is the factory plastic Glock holster with a light coating of Mitch Rosen's "Liquid Lightening" ( a silicon gel). The gun with Hogue rubber slip on grips just fits my hand perfectly and it just SNAPS out of the holster faster than I can even believeor anything else I have ever tried.
Old March 28, 2002, 08:46 PM   #5
popnokick

Pocket carry can be pretty fast. Howcum? Picture this - your spider sense is tingling as you move closer to Condition Red, so you put your hands in your pockets. Nothing unusual to be seen by anyone.... except that your gunhand has closed your fingers around the grip on your 9mm pocket pistol. At this point, you are more than halfway through your draw, even though it is not obvious. 9mm compact pocket-sized pistol? Yup - there are several available now that can be carried this way - and more on the way.
Old March 29, 2002, 09:50 PM   #6
blades67

I practice my draw from concealment so that it happens in under two seconds.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old March 30, 2002, 12:15 AM   #7
Tol

I have a few responses. They should be taken with a grain of salt.

Speed is far less important than comfort to most people. A comfortable holster is one that you'll be more likely to carry. You'll print less too.

Given similar holsters: <10% of the speed with which you present is a result of the holster. 90%+ is a result of how much you work with what you have.

Picking your outfits carefully is worth more than holster selection.

Most important of all IMHO is thinking about your surroundings. The best holster in the world can get clogged up pretty quickly if you have a winter jacket zipped, sitting in a car with a seat belt on.

A good belt will speed things up as you don't have that lag when you start your presentation.

-On to your real question-

A jacket over a Galco Concealable is mighty darn quick for me. Yup, I've done my fair share of presenting from it. I'm on my second after wearing out the first.

I find well designed fanny packs extremely fast. I just don't like them.

IWB is quick, but not as comfortable for me.

Galco Fletch isn't as quick but is quite secure and very easy to conceal with just a sweatshirt.

Good luck, try to present and dry fire enough that you start breaking things on your gun.
Old April 2, 2002, 03:05 PM   #8
9mmepiphany

it is really about (for me) what i would stake my life on and am able to carry concealed without have to tale pain pills (if you have back pain you'll understand)

for me it is a open top belt holster (OWB)...because the IWB just tweaks my back...worn just behind the hip with the muzzle over the rear pocket.

i'm using a alessi ACP for my beretta 92/96 during the chilly months and a glock 19 during the summer in their belt slide or a forbus paddle

how quick is enough?... quicker then the other guy, smoothness and accuraccy before speed.