The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2014, 08:39 PM   #1
357 Python

Antique percussion shotgun

Over the last weekend I was at my brother's home and we looked through some things our dad had. One thing we found was a double barrel percussion shotgun. The gun is in such bad shape it would not be worth $100 for scrap metal. It appears to be in 20 gauge. I am trying to clean it up so will will be a decent looking wall hanger. The maker which is engraved on the side locks is Norris & Brother. On the barrel rib in a very lightly engraved manner is what I believe to be the words "Warrented Trust". The only thing I can find out is that the company was in operation sometime during the Civil War. I know this may be a long shot but if anyone knows anything about Norris & Brother I would appreciate any information given. I will never try to fire it because of its condition but it would look nice on the wall.
Old January 30, 2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

Do not clean anything until you know what you have.

http://www.collectorebooks.com/gregg...ns/Lot-446.htm

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; January 30, 2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old January 30, 2014, 11:25 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Go easy on the cleaning. Use 4-0 steel wool and oil or brass wool and oil to clean the metal, and a wood cleaner on the stock. No sandpaper or wire brush, please. The gun shown by Dreaming is a fairly high grade gun and if yours is similar it may be worth a bit of money even in poor condition.

Jim
Old January 30, 2014, 11:39 PM   #4
357 Python

Thanks. The only cleaning I have done is to clean the surface rust off with oil and a rag, then some very fine steel wool and more oil to keep the rust from reforming. The wood was cleaned with mild (diluted) Pine-Sol then Old English furniture polish. No real shining or true polishing has been done yet. The gun itself has no value that I can see. My dad got it when his employer died. The gun was kept in a basement that flooded quite often. I am just trying to make it some what presentable and to keep the deterioration to a minimum.
Old January 31, 2014, 09:15 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

SxS shotguns were imported from Europe, literally, by the boat load. Ones such as yours turn up often and seldom have much intrinsic value. The names on them are usually the end seller not the builder. I would go ahead with the cleaning, hang on wall and enjoy.
Old January 31, 2014, 02:22 PM   #6
McShooty

All good thoughts here. I would add that while hammer doubles have never excited much collector interest, they are among the most interesting looking wall hangers, especially if you find one with pretty damascus barrels. Folks who don't know much about guns usually enjoy hearing about how they worked. If there is some family provenance, so much the better. Sometimes I think the site could have a category called "Grandpa Guns."
Old February 1, 2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Fishbed77

How about a photos or two?
Old February 8, 2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
SxS shotguns were imported from Europe, literally, by the boat load. Ones such as yours turn up often and seldom have much intrinsic value. The names on them are usually the end seller not the builder.
While that is certainly true there were many shotguns made in the U.S. Not every old SXS was made in Europe and quite a few of them bring good money. Norris & Brother were made in Baltimore and good examples will bring close to 2,000. Depending on how bad yours is it might still be worth more than the average Belgian made shotgun in good shape.
Old February 8, 2014, 04:25 PM   #9
PetahW

FWIW, I don't hold high hopes for it's "condition"/value, given it's been wiped with steel wool (even in oil).

Old February 8, 2014, 04:30 PM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
FWIW, I don't hold high hopes for it's "condition"/value, given it's been wiped with steel wool (even in oil).
Given that it was covered in surface rust there would have been no patina to be saved so no harm done. It would still hold some value. Probably more than if it was still covered in rust.
Old February 17, 2014, 09:44 PM   #11
357 Python

Thanks for all the information. As to its condition my dad inherited it from his boss and it had been left in a damp basement that flooded a few times. The barrels are horrendous. The left side hammer will not stay at full cock. Both nipples are rusted to near oblivion. There seems to be an obstruction in the right barrel. The ramrod won't go all the way back when inserted properly but when inverted it goes all the way in. All it is good for is a wall hanger.
As for photos right now I don't have any way to post photos yet.