The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2009, 01:36 PM   #26
Farmland

When I was younger I use to pick up range brass, it doesn't excite much any more. I settle on buying new brass then wearing it out myself. The cost to buy new brass isn't that expensive and most of all if I have a case failure I caused it.

However when I am at a range I like to be able to pick up my own brass. If I am going to go to any range that prohibits this then I will shoot steel case ammo which means I will buy some just to shoot at that range.

Brass is still the cheap part of reloading especially when you start to count how many times you can reload it.
Old September 6, 2009, 02:12 PM   #27
Sevens

Quote:
The cost to buy new brass isn't that expensive and most of all if I have a case failure I caused it.
All my brass needs to be closely inspected. The time for inspection is after it's been tumbled and it's clean, so you can see it. Another cursory look after it's sized, since the sizing operation is quite stressful.

That's where you prevent case failure. Trusting new brass that you bought to be better than brass that's been reloaded is a recipe for a problem.

You can't buy your way out of the responsibility that goes with handloading. So I'm much happier to save the expense of buying brass new and using perfectly good brass for reloading.
Old September 6, 2009, 03:06 PM   #28
Farmland

A.) I never said not inspect any brass.
B.) Excess pressure or over working of brass can produce hidden defects that can & will pass a visual inspection.
C.) We are in agreement that new brass is a good option.
Old September 6, 2009, 03:21 PM   #29
Kyo

when i decided i was going to start reloading i started saving all the shells i used at the range before i even got the press. I wish I would have saved them all, but it didn't occur to me till later that I could reload for so cheap. Anyway, grab a few boxes of reloads and fire them off, save the brass.
my range lets me take what I fire cause I either bought the box and can do what I want with it, or I come in with my own loads. If I shoot 100, I take 100 shells. They don't have a problem with it
one of the ranges near me charges about 25 bucks a box for 50 reloads of 45's. the other is about 18. they keep all the brass they can get because its cheaper for them to go to Atlanta Arms and Ammo.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.