The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 11, 2009, 12:59 PM   #51
langenc

Roast muskrat.

For Thanksgiving-wild turkey and roast beaver w/ cranberries picked on my sons property.
Old November 11, 2009, 01:23 PM   #52
grymster2007

Nothing today.... but one of the guys at work is supposed to bring me some elk and a vendor said he was bringing Bison.
Old November 13, 2009, 11:04 PM   #53
Colorado Redneck

Elk loin steaks last night. Couple of days from now elk hamberger chili. The steaks from this critter are going fast. Cooked some up on the grill for some of the kids a week ago, and all I got was one bite. Dern kids ate it all that night, and me and momma had to settle for beef rib eye. Last night momma said "Your going elk hunting again next year!" I vote for that!

Going deer hunting this weekend. Hope that brings home more meat. Make that into summer sausage.
Old November 13, 2009, 11:44 PM   #54
MontanaS

Just finished a plate of antelope kabobs, antelope cheezy brat's, and olive oil marinated vegetables grilled on the barbie.
Old November 14, 2009, 01:14 AM   #55
Rangefinder

Nothing! Not even aa damn stick of jerkey---and only two days left on our tags! I'm so sick of the rich-rich--mine-mine attitude that seems to have bought up so much private land here in southern Colorado... I'm originally from Montana, but the old-timers I've met here say it wasn't much different not too long ago than where I came from...
"Have a private land tag? Sure---got my herd tucked up into that draw over there--but we see plenty of game crossing over in this direction. Take whatever you can tag, it keeps 'em out of the hay stacks."

But now?? "We only have guided hunts--it's gonna cost you X-dollars each for the morning to take you out to a spot to sit" -OR- "Oh, we don't hunt our land--we bought it so we can come up here on the weekends and watch all the pretty animals..."

Guess what--I'm not interested in supporting some twit's 10,000 sq. foot weekend "hunting lodge" so all his buddies can fly in from who-knows-where, or sympathyzing with some other moron with Disney-delusions. But I wouldn't mind putting a little meat on the freaking table. Man, I'm sick of people who think they just "need to get a piece of the country", experience nature, whatever twisted little story they like to tell themselves, but will stop at nothing to take the country way out of the country they want a part of so badly, and think cash earns the right to. All hail the all-mighty dollar...

/Rant (maybe...)

Had no choice but to take 4th season draw this year (private land only tag) because my wife was due with our little girl somewhere right in between 2nd and 3rd general season---wasn't about to be out stomping around the mountains during that time (right on time, too--Oct 13). And wasn't too worried--I figured there HAD to be some decent land owners here somewhere that would atleast let my son fill his tag--first time going after his own elk. Nope--I was wrong. All the decent folk here have been bought out and sent packing. If you don't have plenty of green bills hanging out of your pockets when you pull up, you don't even get to look over their fence. Out of four districts our tag covers, a month worth and hundreds of miles driven trying to contact people, make arrangements, and try to possibly work out someplace that might let us walk a ridgeline, and we're still SOL. Out-of-state trophy-hunters coupled with plenty of financial backing have effectively ruined and taken a near-monopoly on one whole section of what was great hunting and the last opportunity for some of us average working-class types to put some winter meat in the freezer. So unless something truly amazing happens in the next 36 hours, looks like its just gonna be.... beef....

/RANT (for real... for now anyway...)

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old November 14, 2009, 02:55 AM   #56
telemark

I have been eating my bear sausage 2 times a week for breakfast, elk steaks about the same frequency but am down to my last 10-15 pounds, and deer burger about once a week. I just got a big doe the other day, still need to fill my buck tag, and I hope there is an elk out there with my name on it. I got to make room in the freezer cause there is still 2 weeks left in the season.
Old November 14, 2009, 12:19 PM   #57
JohnO

Elk burgers last night. Nothing like a great tasting, guilt free, burger.
Old November 14, 2009, 05:55 PM   #58
deerstands339

Deer sausge... MMMmmm....

Venison Sausage
Ground venison
Ground pork fat
Morton's Sausage & Poultry Seasoning
Pork casing

Mix ground venison with ground pork fat at 2-1 ratio.
Sprinkle Morton's Sausage & Poultry Seasoning over meat and knead into the meat with fingers until seasoned at rate of 1 pkg. seasoning to 12 lbs of meat. Stuff into pork casings as links or as rope sausage.
Old November 14, 2009, 09:28 PM   #59
Christchild

Been too warm for deer, apparently, so far, but Squirrel smothered with Onions and Gravy over Rice, tomorrow!

Curse this Southern Weather!!! Need some cold!
Old November 15, 2009, 02:02 AM   #60
NikonHunter

No pics at the moment; sorry, but did someone mention venison chili?!!!!! Dang, that just made me mad. I want some.... NOW! LOL! I also see the pic with what looks to be some jalapeƱo' peppers too. Mmm good.

A tip for chili lovers... add a bit of brown sugar. It really adds a unique flavor. Not much, just enough to get a hint of it.

NikonHunter
Old November 15, 2009, 07:47 PM   #61
Christchild

UpDate...

5 Very Healthy Gray Squirrels... Smothered Down with Onions and Garlic, well seasoned, with a Mild Roux to thicken the Drippings into a Gravy... Served over Rice.

TIP: Gumbo File' (ground Sasafras) is for more than Gumbo!!! Koowee!

Cooler Weather (whenever that happens) will likely yield Venison and/or Wild Pork.....Will report...
Old November 15, 2009, 08:56 PM   #62
Daryl

Had buffalo tenderloin tonight.

Baked sweet 'taters on the side, with some orange cheesecake for dessert.

and enough left of each for my wife and I for breakfast.

Daryl
Old November 16, 2009, 04:02 AM   #63
moose fat

This evening we had Eskimo Stir Fry with rice.

-2 lb. of August moose (pre rut, can cut with a fork), cut into cubes.
-Marinate in soy sauce and Worchestershire Sauce, maybe equal amounts, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, mixed well and allowed to set for a couple hours. If you have Yoshida's use that instead of the soy sauce and brown sugar.
-Heat the Wok and add peanut oil then a splash of Sesame oil, fry/boil with the marinade and render down a little and add Oyster Sauce, about four tablespoons, and render down to a thick sauce.
Serve over white rice and with whatever greens are on hand.

Last edited by moose fat; November 16, 2009 at 04:04 AM. Reason: or Yoshida's
Old November 16, 2009, 07:45 AM   #64
troy_mclure

im defrosting some of last years deer sausage my boss gave me. its kinda gamy, from an old buck.

and im not a big fan of louisania sausage, so i break it up and use it as filler for meat loaf or soup, or what ever.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 17, 2009, 06:33 PM   #65
Adventurer 2

I'm not the best cook but I eat what I fix.
Pheasant dumpling and noodle soup with just a hint of #6 shot.
Old November 18, 2009, 05:56 PM   #66
cole k

Well for breakfast I had wild hog bacon and sausage and fried deer steak with red eye gravy, grits, scrambled eggs, and homemade biscuits with homemade pear preserves.
Old November 18, 2009, 08:19 PM   #67
Dr. Strangelove

Venison Beef Stroganoff hamburger helper. Tasty stuff!
Old November 19, 2009, 01:01 AM   #68
zahnzieh

venison Sauerbraten style. Marinated neck in vinegar,red wine, bay leaves, peppercorn, sugar,salt for 4 days. Dump out marinade,rinse. Stewed in slow-cooker for 5 hours using pot roast sauce mix So tender w. unique flavor Yumm
Old November 19, 2009, 02:05 AM   #69
Rangefinder

Man... You guys SUCK!!! All I have left is a couple packs of elk liver from last year! Not that that's a bad thing, but I wanted to smoke a hind quarter this year in the new smoker... But NO! Got Robbed! Seriously, this whole thread is just salt and vinegar in the open wound!!!

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old November 19, 2009, 11:39 AM   #70
Christchild

Quote:
Man... You guys SUCK!!!
RangeFinder!!!