The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 6, 2008, 11:34 PM   #1
dmozer

Montana Elk hunt

How good are the public hunting lands in MT, or are there better states for public elk hunting? My Dad and I would like to do some spot and stalk, even if we don't both get an elk or deer it would be an awesome experience getting to hunt the woods with my dad. Also, how many bonus points would it take to nearly guarantee success in drawing?
Old September 7, 2008, 10:22 AM   #2
kraigwy

Montana's good, dont know about their point system thought. I know out of state people have good luck with draws in Wyoming. Lots of government land for elk hunting here. Western Wyoming and the Big Horns in Central Wyoming give out lots of non-resident elk and deer tags. Its too late this year but if you are interested next year check out the WY Fish and Game web site.

If you do deside on Wyoming for Elk and Deer, let me know, I can tell you where you can get some monster bucks in the Big Horns.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 7, 2008, 11:03 AM   #3
dmozer

I am looking ahead to next year or the following year. So I will have to check out Wyoming.
Old September 8, 2008, 09:38 AM   #4
NRA4life

I drew a MT Deer A tag (either sex) with only 1 preference point this year. You can draw the combo deer-elk about every other year.