The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 11, 2008, 09:43 AM   #1
steve1589

A warning for 300WSM owners!

A 308 Winchester will fire in a 300WSM chamber. The cartridge will burst and has the potential of causing injury. I have a customer that has two identical Remington 700's. One is chambered for 308Winchester and the other one is 300WSM. He got them mixed up and fired a 308 win in the 300WSM. I was skeptical until I pulled the bolt out and looked at the bolt face. When the cartridge burst it transferred the headstamp lettering to the boltface. It read 308 Win. It did not hurt the rifle or the shooter. I heard of another case yesterday from a gunsmith buddy of mine. The rifle was a Model 70 Winchester chambered for 300WSM. That rifle didn't fare as well. It wrecked the extractor, blew the floorplate off and broke the stock. The shooter has a face full of burnt powder and case fragments.
Old January 11, 2008, 05:52 PM   #2
steveno

paying a little more attention to detail would have prevented from happening in the first place
Old January 12, 2008, 02:11 PM   #3
brickeyee

One gun at the line, one kind of ammunition at the line.
Basic safety.
Old January 13, 2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

wrong catridge

Sir:
Yes, there are many cartridges that will fire in the wrong chamber. As has been pointed out - use the right cartridge in the right rifle - and - the barrel on a conversion rifle must be stamped with the correct cartridge its chambered for. To avoid this is a lack of attention and cannot be excused!

Yet, Ackley found that given neck clearance and proper headspace that larger caliber bullets would fire through undersize bores given the right neck clearance.
This was done ONLY as an experient - don't EVER try it.
Harry B.
Old January 14, 2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Martyn4802

Look, we're all responsible for what we do. Putting the wrong round in a rifle is not being responsible. Yet, being human, we all make mistakes. Fortunately, in this case, the price of learning responsibility wasn't fatal.

Martyn