The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2011, 06:00 PM   #1
setfreejoe

1964 Winchester model 1400

My father in law gave me a 1964 Winchester model 1400 this past weekend. Low serial number and I also called Winchester to verify the year built. It has been sitting in a case for over 26 years now and looks brand new. I field stripped it and noticed the sear assembly was sticking pretty bad and would not work the hammer at all. I took it out and worked on it a little with some CLP and got the sear hammer moving pretty good but low and behold I can remember the orientation of how it fit back in. Also I need to know how the disconnector spring is orientated in the disconnecter?.........I think I may have got everything taken care of but when I put it back together I noticed that the bolt slides freely in the in the slide arms and fits like it is supposed to but when I put the trigger assembly back in the receiver I am unable to then pull the bolt back. HELP PLEASE!

Last edited by setfreejoe; November 28, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old November 28, 2011, 06:21 PM   #2
oregunner

Here is the manual. I don't know if it gets that specific. http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/...l1400_om_s.pdf
Here is the schematic.
http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/win1400.htm
Mark

Last edited by oregunner; November 28, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old November 28, 2011, 06:45 PM   #3
seansean1444

u need to pull the bolt back so it locks then put the triger group in if i remember correctly
Old November 28, 2011, 06:53 PM   #4
setfreejoe

Thanks! I did download the manual and schematics as well. I talked to a local gunsmith who will charge me 10 bucks to put is back together if there is nothing broken. I know it has to be something simple and stupid for an old paratrooper like me.
Old November 28, 2011, 07:02 PM   #5
setfreejoe

Also do I need to buy a rifled slug barrel or can I safely shoot slugs through the smooth bore. It says full on the barrel so I am assuming it is already a full choke.
Old December 2, 2011, 02:51 PM   #6
munson1

Slugs in Full Choke

Hi
Try some slugs in full barrel. I had a Ithaca 37 pump with a deer & Full choke 30in Barrel. One day while shooting for Deer Hunting. I got the idea of trying the Full Choke barrel with slugs. Well I was most impressed with the group. Never put the Deer Barrel back on & never missed another Buck. That was 30yrs ago. Try that Full barrel !!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ken
Old December 2, 2011, 03:30 PM   #7
bitttorrrent

makes you appreciate a good gunsmith even when you try something simple.

I took apart and fixed up an old bb gun 1911 replica and it took hours to get it back together. I scraped my knuckles, couldn't get the trigger to place back. And this was just a metal bb gun. Finally got it and the trigger is actually pretty nice. I just use pretend since it is an old 1 shot handgun, but I would never attempt a full dissassembly with a real gun.