The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Clevinger

Glock slim 9mm

When is Glock going to make a slim 9mm? They have one in the .45. Am I wrong to assume they are probably working on this?

I love the G19 I have and everything, but it would be great if they had a slimmer version.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:50 PM   #2
MontyCop05

Probably not gonna see that. I'd be very surprised.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:54 PM   #3
MontyCop05

Your talking the "slimline" G36 not the "SF" versions correct? If so, I highly doubt Glock will be making a single stack for any other caliber platform. Would be reducing capacity for very little gain. Other manufactures have those bases covered in smaller packages. Take a look a Kahr.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:57 PM   #4
chris in va

Yup, just bought a Kahr K9 myself. You really should look at the polymer 9mm's if you haven't already.
Old March 29, 2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Clevinger

Quote:
Other manufactures have those bases covered in smaller packages. Take a look a Kahr.
I've looked at Kahr and Walther's efforts, and I don't think I trust either one. I've read too much about problems with both (I really wanted to like the Walther).

With the popularity of concealed carry going up, I think the first manufacturer to make an ultra-reliable (think G19 reliability) single stack 9mm that's light is going to make a ton of money.

Let's be honest: the options there right now--surprisingly--are really bare.
Old March 29, 2009, 03:39 PM   #6
chris in va

Actually, the reliability issues are mostly with the 45acp versions. Have a look at the P9 and PM9. The CW9 is a cheaper version of the P9 with cost cutting parts (MIM, less machining, one mag etc). But it costs about the same as a Glock.
Old March 29, 2009, 04:46 PM   #7
varoadking

Quote:
Let's be honest: the options there right now--surprisingly--are really bare.
That's becasue it would take some doing to top the PM9...
Old March 29, 2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Clevinger

Threads like the following have permanently scared me away from Kahr.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hlight=kahr+p9
Old March 29, 2009, 05:33 PM   #9
varoadking

Quote:
Threads like the following have permanently scared me away from Kahr.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hlight=kahr+p9
If you own any guns, that manufacturer has had it's own set of issues...

So, what do you trust?
Old March 29, 2009, 05:35 PM   #10
rhenriksen

I bought my G23 at least 10 years ago, and while I really like it, it's been thicker than I wanted for a carry gun.

Bought a Walther PPS in 9mm the weekend I discovered one at a gun show (hadn't been following the gun scene for years, didn't know about the PPS before I laid eyes on one). Have shot about 500 rounds through it, it's worked flawlessly & is far more comfortable as a carry gun (for me). Still love my Glock 23, but the Walther fills the 'flat' role really well.
Old March 29, 2009, 05:36 PM   #11
LanceOregon

Quote:
When is Glock going to make a slim 9mm? They have one in the .45. Am I wrong to assume they are probably working on this?

I love the G19 I have and everything, but it would be great if they had a slimmer version.

It is already available for sale on the market today, in both 9mm and .40 S&W. The gun is called the Walther PPS, and it disassembles exactly like a Glock, and has the same type of trigger system, too. It even looks quite similar, as you can see:

And here is a photo comparing how extremely thin it is, compared to a Glock 26 ( on the left ):

The gun also makes the Sig 239 look big. Here is my Walther PPS on the right, and my SIG 239 on the left, in a comparision photo that I took myself:

Old March 29, 2009, 09:55 PM   #12
AdamSean

+1 on the Walther PPS. I own one in .40 S&W and I absolutely love it. I have been complaining about Glock making a slim 9mm for over 6 years now and believe they will never make one. Get the PPS, you won't regret it.
Old April 2, 2009, 02:41 PM   #13
NEtracker

I need to try one of those PPS models.
Sometimes, the G19 seems a bit fat...
www.mallardspring.com
Old April 2, 2009, 02:59 PM   #14
Chesster

The G19 2nd generation is about as close to perfect as I have found for my hand. No slimline needed.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old April 2, 2009, 03:11 PM   #15
PhoenixConflagration

For me, the loss of a few millimeters of thickness don't balance out with loss of so many rounds. For occasions where dress requires something more concealable than a G19 or G26, then at that point you need a good pocket gun. Like a LCP or Seecamp. Or maybe those new, super-light Taurus .380's if they prove to be any good. I'm not sure I see that great a need for an "in-betweener."
Old April 2, 2009, 03:32 PM   #16
NEtracker

I mix and match,
G19 gen 2, 3913, 642, Seecamp....
Something is better than Nothing!
www.mallardspring.com

Last edited by NEtracker; April 2, 2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added
Old April 2, 2009, 05:37 PM   #17
Chesster

Quote:
I mix and match,
G19 gen 2, 3913, 642, Seecamp....
Something is better than Nothing!
Rule 1. Have a gun.

Rule 2. Use the gun you have.

I often have a Smith 37 or 38 in my pocket rather than the G19 IWB. Summer time, thinner clothes, too much butt in my pants already, etc......
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old April 4, 2009, 09:44 PM   #18
allenomics

It would be great if Glock introduced a single stack 9mm. If Glock reads these posts, let me suggest that the stock's length be modeled after the G19, not the G26. I'd be a buyer!
Old April 4, 2009, 10:20 PM   #19
Catfishman

If Glock made a single stack 9mm I would buy it. I can't believe they haven't already done it. I believe Glock's reliability to be superior to all other semi-autos.
I bought a Kel-Tec 3AT. But the .380 it to light for me and I can't stand the super long trigger pull. Can anyone tell me if either of the 9mm Kel-Tecs have a better trigger?
Old April 5, 2009, 12:20 AM   #20
cbailey

I have been wishing Glock would make a single-stack 9mm for some time.

Yesterday I went to the local gun store with the intent of buying a G26 for ccw. I held one and it didn’t seem all that more concealable than my G19. I handled a couple single stacks (Walther PPS and Kahr PM9). Both looked to be high-quality and very well-built. The Walther felt great, very slim. My only complaint would be the height of the slide (just looks kind of ungainly) and subsequently what looked to be an unnecessarily high bore-axis. The Kahr was smaller than the Walther (and possibly pocketable), with nice clean basic lines. Only obvious drawback was that it's a two-finger grip, like the G26. I made an impulse-buy and bought the PM9. I hope it demonstrates reasonable reliability and durability, it looks to be such a neat little pistol.

But if Glock had something similar to either of those two, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Probably would have cost less.

Last edited by cbailey; April 5, 2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: sad spelling errors
Old April 5, 2009, 02:15 AM   #21
LanceOregon

Quote:
Only obvious drawback was that it's a two-finger grip, like the G26. I made an impulse-buy and bought the PM9. I hope it demonstrates reasonable reliability and durability, it looks to be such a neat little pistol.

Go to the KAHR online store at:

http://www.kahrshop.com/

And order the PEARCE Grip extension. It increases the grip on the PM9 so you can get all three fingers on it.

I got these for my PM9 right after I bought it:

Old April 5, 2009, 07:21 AM   #22
CDW4ME

I did read the responses in the other thread before posting.

My wife has a KAHR P9 that has been trouble free. She is not a gun person. I keep hers loaded with Remington +p and maybe once a year she shoots it, with the ammo she carries, for familizaration and make sure it still works. She doesn't like the feel of Glocks. The P9 is her favorite gun ever with S&W CS9 in 2nd place.

I bought a PM9 (when the first came out) and after not that much shooting I noticed a crack in the slide; KAHR replaced it and it's been fine ever since. I shoot Cor-Bon and Remington +p and never have a problem.

I also bought a PM40 (when they first came out) and I had some problem ( I actually don't remember what it was) and sent it back to KAHR. They fixed the problem and the entire barrel had been polished to a mirror shine (as a bonus); it was obvious they had spent some time on it. The PM40 has been trouble free ever since. I typically shoot Golden Saber in it.

While I did have an initial problem with the early production guns KAHR took care of it and I like them for easy cary and concealment. I'm a Glock fan (love em), but the Kahr is slightly easier to conceal and thus fills a nitch.

I also have a Kel-Tec P3AT that had to be sent back after initial purchase because the magazine release needed a stiffer spring, they took care of the problem and it's worked fine ever since (so it's not just KAHR).

I wasn't at all happy when I had issues with a new pistol, but the problem was fixed and they are a frequent carry gun.
Old April 5, 2009, 10:29 AM   #23
OhioAAA

The only slim thing comes out of Glock's door is a G36 in my knowledge. I think they made the 45 with a single stake magazine instead of their traditional double stake magazine.

Never had a problem with my Kahrs.They are great guys after the initial break-ins!

Last edited by OhioAAA; April 6, 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old April 5, 2009, 11:31 AM   #24
Ozzieman

I think this is a good question, I own a G26 and really like the gun but it is a little on the chunky side.
A single stack 7 or 8 round Glock would be in my safe if they made one. I personally don’t see it happing soon since it will be a major redesign for the gun since most Glocks are all very close to the same dimensions for width and mag shape.
Now if they would only add a manual safety!!!!
I know, I said something EVIL, never mind what I said, Glocks are PERFECT just the way they are built, changing any thing will just ruin a superior design.
Old April 5, 2009, 11:37 AM   #25
Conradm

afaik, the slimmest full size 9mm on the market is the SR9.