The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2015, 09:53 AM   #1
SEHunter

Where are all the Hornady Interbonds

A couple years ago I switched from Nosler Ballistic tips in my 30-06 and Barnes TTSX in my 300 Wby to Interbonds in both. I shoot 165 gr in both if these 30 cals and wanted to consolidate my components. This bullet shoots very accurately in both guns and has performed well on deer sized game. I thought it turned out to be a good compromise. Velocity on the 06 is 2850 and 3250-3300 fps in the Wby.

I went to get some 130 gr IBs for my new .270 but nobody has them in stock anywhere? I haven't found any explanation but I just thought it was ironic. Brownells and Midway aren't even allowing back orders. Guess I need to find a different bullet for this gun. I'll be around 3100 fps. This gun will be primarily used on white tail deer. I want to stay with a polymer tip non-cannelure bullet.

I'm looking again at the Nosler ballistic tip, Winchester ballistic silver tip(basically the Nosler bt from what I understand), and the Sierra game King. I've never used the SGK but have heard they are a good shooting and effective bullet on thin skin. I usually try to shoot my deer in the boiler room but I still want to avoid a bullet that explodes before exit. What does everybody think for an accurate bullet in a .270 deer rifle?
Old December 19, 2015, 12:01 PM   #2
snuffy

Well here's my theory; Hornady is currently switching all their plastic tipped target bullets to a new tip that does not melt in-flight. It is part of their new earth shattering announcement last month. They have a set number of bullet machines, that means they have to switch them all to make target bullets, they can't make bonded hunting bullets.

As for which bullet to switch to, if you're worried about bullets holding together, IOW a bonded bullet, the Nosler accu-bond is as good as the Hornady interbond. If Federal would make the fusion bullet available for handloaders, it too is a good accurate bonded bullet. Speer/ATK had a deep-curl bullet for a while, which was the same plated/bonded technology as the fusion bullet, but now they're gone as well.

This a game of chance us handloaders are forced to play. We're totally dependent on what the big ammo companies let us have to reload shells. In my over 50 years of loading, I've used a bunch of different components. One which I wish I could still get is the Remington .357 158 jacketed hollow point bullet. It's scalloped jacket would form the prettiest mushroom, and it held together even at top .357 magnum velocities. All of a sudden, they stopped offering ANY bullets for handloading anything.

I suspect that Hornady will again sell the interbonds, they just have to get caught up with the target line of bullets. I think they will also put the new high temp tips on the hunting bullets.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 19, 2015, 12:16 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Hornady told me if I didn't like the SST's I was using in my 6.5 to switch to the Interbond or Interlock for deer hunting for more bullet weight retention.

I told them I wanted 140 grains and they quickly told me to just go to the Interlock.

Who knows what Hornady is thinking. I want new technology and they send me back to the old reliable.
Old December 19, 2015, 02:55 PM   #4
std7mag

In 7mm, they are on the shelf, in my basement...
Old December 19, 2015, 03:45 PM   #5
SEHunter

Oh ok. Interesting. You would think at this point in their successful business that they could prepare for a model change of one type in a way that wouldn't affect availibility of others but what do I know.

I may give the SGK a try. I've never used Sierra bullets but I've heard a lot more good than bad testimonies about the Game Kings. At one point I was all about the Nosler/Winchester C/T ballistic silver tips because I thought the lubalox coating would decrease fouling and maybe add free velocity but I never could get better than .8" to 1" groups. That's not bad but with the same gun and components, I was able to get the Hornady IB to shoot consistent sub .5" groups at 100 yards. Then I started paying attention and realized nobody on the boards ever talked about using them.
Old December 19, 2015, 04:27 PM   #6
snuffy

Quote:
Hornady told me if I didn't like the SST's I was using in my 6.5 to switch to the Interbond or Interlock for deer hunting for more bullet weight retention.

I told them I wanted 140 grains and they quickly told me to just go to the Interlock.

Who knows what Hornady is thinking. I want new technology and they send me back to the old reliable.
Well, the SST IS an interlock, it just has a plastic tip instead of a soft point lead tip.

Hornady came up with the ""interlock"" to be like the Remington core-lok bullet. Sad to say the "interlock" is a tiny ridge that is SUPPOSED to grip the lead core, preventing the core from separating from the jacket. The rem core-lok has a much larger, thicker part of the jacket that DOES prevent the core from slipping out of the jacket. In other words, the Hornady interlock is a joke! Good part is; it reliably expands, mushrooms, and is a good cup & core bullet. Reasonably accurate as well.

I was one of the first to get and test the Hornady interbond bullet. Shot through water filled milk jugs, caught, then examined.

Notice how the lead sticks to the jacket even when turned inside out. Weight retention is 80-85%.

Cartridge is the 300 WSM.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 19, 2015, 05:53 PM   #7
Blindstitch

140 Grain SST reduced to 53 grains.

Basically they said this bullet was only suppose to have about 30 percent weight retention and just short of explode on contact. Vs the Interlock that is suppose to have 70% or greater retention.

The SST may have in Interlock ring but they aren't the same bullet.
Old December 20, 2015, 12:25 AM   #8
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
The SST and Interlock are the same bullet (The SST is the Interlock with a tip). But yes, the InterBOND is a premium bullet that will give better retention of weight.
Old January 14, 2016, 08:53 PM   #9
SEHunter

I reached out to the Hornady sales dept this week on the status of availibility for Interbonds and I got a response via email today. I was told that they "should" be available some time this year. This YEAR?, I thought. I guess I'll have to choose another bullet and redevelop, unfortunately. I had excellent loads with great accuracy and velocity worked up in 2 rifles with the Interbond.

I need a bonded bullet for my .300 Wby so I guess the obvious option is the Accubond. I tried the TTSX and wanted it to work very badly but could never get the groups I got in that rifle with the Interbond.

It seems Hornady isn't too worried about getting the Interbond back on shelves. Maybe they are that into the GMX, I don't know. As for my 30-06, I may just go to the SGK but want a tougher bullet for the Wby.