The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2016, 05:17 PM   #1
Doyle

Apparently Widener's has a new owner

For those who are Widener's Reloading customers, the ownership has apparently changed. A member of another forum I'm on noticed that the website had changed, some items were no longer listed, and some of those that were listed had higher prices. So, he called to find out what was up and finally got them to admit that Stan Widener had sold the business.

Unfortunately, he wasn't able to gather any info about the new owner(s). If anyone here learns anything, please tack it onto this thread. Many of us have used Widener's as a trusted source of supplies.
Old January 8, 2016, 07:11 PM   #2
zeke

Maybe they just bought the name? A distinct lack of usual stock, excepting the ms bullets?
Old January 8, 2016, 07:55 PM   #3
JWT

Thanks for the heads up. They have been one of my most used on line vendors. With this input I'll go slow with them to see it the change impacts service, delivery, or prices.
Old January 9, 2016, 12:07 PM   #4
F. Guffey

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/18...ld.html&page=1

I would like to give credit to the first person that discovered the change.

F. Guffey

I did notice a manufacturer of black type rifle was told they were going to sell and agree to get out of the business. It is said they were doing business in Connecticut; while doing business they were inspected. They were found to be working on full autos and they had receivers that had not been logged in. The full autos and the receivers that had not been logged in were the same.

Last edited by F. Guffey; January 9, 2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old January 9, 2016, 01:12 PM   #5
TMD

Quote:
I did notice a manufacturer of black type rifle was told they were going to sell and agree to get out of the business. It is said they were doing business in Connecticut; while doing business they were inspected. They were found to be working on full autos and they had receivers that had not been logged in. The full autos and the receivers that had not been logged in were the same.
Stag Arms, old news. Well about two weeks old anyways.
Old January 9, 2016, 01:42 PM   #6
F. Guffey

Old news? I thought there was a remote possibility a few reloaders did not know. I thought the reason for being told they will sell their business and stop and decease from ever getting involved in the manufacturing of arms answered all of the questions.

There seemed to be a question as to why Widner sold, some members seem to believe they were betrayed because no one told them before the sale. Back to ‘old news’; they were told they were going to sell their business, it would seem the Government extended a courtesy.

F. Guffey
Old January 9, 2016, 02:11 PM   #7
TMD

Had no clue about Weidners selling, hopefully their customer service won't change. As for Stag, our loving Government ordered them sold because of bad record keeping. Sadly they were let off with a warning for the same violations a few years ago and apparently didn't learn their lesson. Also their CEO Mr. Malkowski was fined and will no longer be allowed to own operate or be involved with firearms companies.
Now back to Stag, my guess is they aren't going anywhere anytime soon but will have new owners on paper. Most don't know but they are a subsidy of CMT (Continental Machine and Tool) who have been in the AR business for a very long time and are the major supplier for Colts AR parts. About 10 or 12 years ago the CEO started Stag Arms and Mr Malowski us his son in law or son, not certain but is related.
Old January 9, 2016, 02:22 PM   #8
Smoke & Recoil

I just visited their site and found hardly any reloading components. So what's
special about their business ?
Old January 9, 2016, 06:21 PM   #9
Marco Califo

Quote:
I just visited their site and found hardly any reloading components. So what's
special about their business ?
You just visited the new site. There is nothing special about the new site.
Apparently their old site, of early internet vintage design, but many great deals, is no longer.

I have no idea what Guffey's Conneticut/auto/firearms maker stuff was about. Widener's did (used to, on the old site) sell some surplus guns and parts kits, including a AK-47 clone demilled parts kit recently, and surplus guns, ammo, supplies, etc.

A moment of silence is in order.
Old January 9, 2016, 07:52 PM   #10
Slamfire

Expect prices to go up. New owners mean lots of debt that has to be paid off.
Old January 13, 2016, 12:58 AM   #11
Marco Califo

So now they have added more products and some products look familar (brass, bullets), but the PRICES are not anywhere near what they were.
Old January 13, 2016, 10:23 AM   #12
higgite

Re Stag Arms, they broke Fed law more than once and were fined heavily and told by ATF to get out and stay out of of the business of manufacturing firearms. Google it.

Re Widener's, hope the old owners made a killing on the sale and hope the new owners discover the benefit of low prices/high volume sales. Yes, I believe in unicorns, too.
Old January 13, 2016, 10:34 PM   #13
Marco Califo

What, if any, is the connection between Wideners and Stag Arms?
Old January 14, 2016, 11:23 AM   #14
Doyle

Quote:
What, if any, is the connection between Wideners and Stag Arms?
Absolutely nothing. The Stag Arms thing was brought up in a "thread pollution" post.
Old January 20, 2016, 08:01 AM   #15
Mike40-11

I noticed this and contacted them as well. They are also no longer an FFL. And prices are indeed going up. That's a shame. Widenar's has long been one of my favorite suppliers.