The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 16, 2016, 01:31 PM   #26
ammo.crafter

wild

HBIC splendidly states my feelings completely.
Old January 16, 2016, 01:36 PM   #27
rebelcountry27

ammo crafter, may I ask why?
Old January 16, 2016, 04:19 PM   #28
rebelcountry27

I tell ya what then, any member who is not comfortable with this, I understand. But that means you do not have to reply either. You can stand behind your choice, but dont try to hurt someone else's post.
Old January 16, 2016, 04:25 PM   #29
Freethought

Uh huh. So now you're an arbiter of who may or may not post? You do realise that you just alienated anyone who was setting in the fence in this , don't you?
Old January 16, 2016, 04:34 PM   #30
rebelcountry27

Everything I say someone has something bad to say against it. This all started by me posting a polite post. All I am saying is if you don't care to do it, then you do not have to. You have your thoughts, and I have mine. I dont have to like what you do, but I am not going to set here and bad mouth it either like some have towards me. It is a simple matter of if you don't like it, then you dont have to worry about it

And I think you took my words out of context. I was meaning that if you are against what I am asking, but you feel other members may be for it, then you can decide if you want to help or not.
Old January 16, 2016, 05:15 PM   #31
Freethought

Oh for Christ's sake , show us all where anyone badmouthed you? Folks detailed their reservations , they asked you specific questions. That's how a discussion forum works for crying out loud.
Old January 16, 2016, 05:16 PM   #32
rebelcountry27

I tell ya what then, if you do not like it, then just not worry about reading it. It is that simple

And it was stated earlier by a fellow member that some on here are a bit badgering on certain aspects. So, if you dont like my idea, then just dont keep posting on this subject then

And instead of instigating, why dont you inquire. I did not sign up here to be spoken to like a complete idiot. I signed up figuring that I would meet the same kind of people I have on other forums. On the contrary, I have met the exact opposite. Instead of friendly conversation, it turns to how I am trying to get someone to commit an illegal act by sending a dummy round.
Old January 16, 2016, 05:51 PM   #33
Paul B.

Rebelcountry, sit down and take a deep breath. Where the problem lies is not in refusing to help you OK? There is a certain group of federal agents known as the BATFE who just love to entrap people and put them in prison and take their firearm rights away forbloodyever. Them dudes don't cheat fair. They don't know you. Hell they don't know me and you can check to see just how long I've been a member of this site.
I'm more than sure those here who have wildcat cartridges would be more than happy to accommodate you once we can be positively assured we're not breaking any laws. A $10,000 and up to 10 years in the Graybar Hotel is not something anyone of us here relish.
I can understand you being upset but look at it from our side of the fence. It's a gamble none of us are willing to take until we know how the law stands on the subject. OK?
Paul B.
Old January 16, 2016, 05:56 PM   #34
rebelcountry27

And I dont want any trouble with anyone here either paulb. I have no problem what so ever with answering anyones questions. But that is the trouble, no one seems to want to ask. So, let me go about this a different way then. What can I do to help in this situation? How is the exchange of a dummy round grounds for illegal activity? What can I do to help in the aid of easing everyone's thoughts? By no means do I want to be the one bad apple. So I ask all members, what can I do to help explain and help cure the problem I have created?

Part of the reason I am having trouble understanding on my end is that this is a site that is meant to help further the knowledge of each member. That is one of the reasons I signed up, to further my knowledge. Would it be easier to just ask for a spent case? Or that the case and projectile be seperate? I want to truly help, and not argue.
Old January 16, 2016, 05:59 PM   #35
Freethought

Think ya tell me what to do? Want me to clue you in to some reality as regards that one?

Straight up , you're acting like a damn Yankee and showing your a**.
Old January 16, 2016, 06:02 PM   #36
rebelcountry27

Freethought. I am not trying to tell you or for that matter anyone else what to do. And if you care to insult me, then I think that shows who is being the rude one here. My comment was made that if you are not comfortable with my subject on this post, then you do not have to keep posting.

And by the way, I date a yankee. So keep those thoughts and issues to yourself please
Old January 16, 2016, 06:11 PM   #37
us920669

For what it's worth, I just sent a dummy round through the mail to Lee so they could make me a custom crimp die, so I'm sure it is totally legit. I don't have any dummy rounds to spare, but I'll tell you about my experiences.
I once had a rifle chambered 30-06 AI, probably one of the most common. I could see it had more capacity, but the rifle only had a 22" barrel, so I never really got much out of it. It was never going to equal a 300 WM, or even a 300 H&H (a great semi-obsolete cartridge that deserves to be preserved), so I finally sold the whole kit and caboodle.
I got a deal on a bunch of loading stuff in 404 Jeffery, so naturally I set about building a rifle to shoot it. I settled on a standard length Interarms Mauser. The Jeffery case falls between standard and magnum lengths, so I got it to work by taking about 20 or 30 thousand off the neck and using a cast bullet that was a little shorted than max. I guess that was sort of a wildcat. It was a lot harder to get the 30-06 action to feed those fatsos. I ended up taking most of the metal off the ridge down the middle of the follower and it worked great, even upside down, as befits a CRF action. I loved that Jeffery case. In fact, all these new short fat magnums are based on it or something close, although they're not exactly the same, I guess so you have to buy the proprietary brass.
I began to tire of 404 Jeffery. There are stories of old British rounds that wont chamber in new rifles, and there seems to be some disagreement on the correct bullet size. There aren't too many bullets available in any case, so I gave serious consideration to a wildcat called 416 Howell. It's the 404 case necked down and blown out for greater efficiency, and I bet it's a real gem. In the end, though, I decided to save a bunch of money and move into the 416 Ruger. I've got my dies and brass, and the barrel will come in someday. I'll post my results when I have some.
Old January 16, 2016, 06:15 PM   #38
rebelcountry27

I hear ya us. I have a springfield 03 with an 18" barrel. Had that length when I bought it. Hopefully it will become a .358 norma mag soon. Interesting read tho, as I have always wanted a big bore. I have even threw up the idea of doing a .425 wr on the springfield
Old January 16, 2016, 06:24 PM   #39
us920669

Reb, I think the biggest you can go without serious retooling is 475, and the mind of P O Ackley conceived a wildcat that is basically just a straightwall belted magnum, like 375 basic. It wouldn't be that hard to ream yourself, just get a 475 blank and the cart isn't much bigger. I would like to do that in a M1917 action, plenty strong with a very generous mag box.
Old January 16, 2016, 06:28 PM   #40
rebelcountry27

When it does get done, it will wear a brand new barrel. Heck, got the dies, so now I just need the gun to go with it

I always loved the old griffin and howe springfields, so kind of what started my passion for it

Just have to figure if I want to get it drilled and tapped for a scope, or use the lyman peep that is on it now
Old January 16, 2016, 06:47 PM   #41
us920669

For stopping something that's right on your doorstep, you can't do better than a peep.
Old January 16, 2016, 06:48 PM   #42
rebelcountry27

Definitely right. Sorry for getting things sidetracked for a few. You are welcome to pm me if you care.
Old January 16, 2016, 06:58 PM   #43
Freethought

That explains why ya got all butthurt and started slinging orders around and acting like we all owed you something.

Get something straight , I don't take orders from you , nor do I owe you a damn thing whatsoever , furthermore acting like a damn petulant child having a tantrum won't get you much here or anyplace else.

Now grow up. You started a PUBLIC thread and of other folks decide to post in it and discuss things then pretty much all your gonna get with your orders is frustrated when folks don't follow 'em.

I pointed some things out to you NICELY including the fact that you were potentially alienating some folks who were setting on the fence on this issue.

Here's how that goes from THIS quarter , I currently load for 14 different wildcat chamberings , hell will freeze over before you'll see a dummy round from this source. That mighta been quite a bit different if you had just acted in a civil adult matter instead of like a damn bratty child that didn't get what they wanted immediately.

You may have that " rebel " in front of your name but you damn certain don't have any degree of Southern manners or code of respect.

Last edited by Spats McGee; January 17, 2016 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Removing profanity/asterisks
Old January 16, 2016, 06:58 PM   #44
us920669

It's OK, I'm getting called for dinner. I'm dead in the water on projects - gotta put a transmission in my Acure.
Old January 16, 2016, 07:01 PM   #45
rebelcountry27

Do what you care free thought, I will just ignore every post you put up.

I never did try to insult you, and if I came across that way, then please accept my apology. The last message was more out of frustration, but I do get what you are saying. If my comments were coming out that way, then I will accept that I did act like an a** So again, I do apologize
Old January 16, 2016, 08:18 PM   #46
Unclenick
Staff

Rebelcountry,

Asking to buy dummies on the board is ultimately OK, but you do have to follow the board's buy and sell rules which are posted here. They include that you have to be an active member for at least 30 days before you can start a post in the gunshow forum, which is where most buying and selling occurs. The Handloading forum also allows it, because it is so specialized, but the rules are the same. So you've got most of a month to go yet before you can put up a post of this type, and for that reason I have to close this one. If folks are willing to send you dummies for free, that stays out of the buying or selling element, and you can stay in touch with your positive responders by Private Message either to receive free ones or until your 30 day probation period is up. You just can't solicit sellers quite yet.

My read of the law is that Frankenmauser had it right that there are no legal restrictions on mailing dummies. They are sent around all the time without anyone having to show an ID or prove their age of anything. I appreciate concerns expressed about entrapment, as stranger things have been done. And with selling outside U.S. boarders, there probably are restrictions and risk of arrest so that should be avoided. But dummies have been bought and sold in catalogs and on the web for a long time without even so much as an age inquiry about the buyer. Tons of dummies converted to flashlights, pens, and keychains are also sold all the time without interference.

If you want to sell an oddball expensive case as a dummy, then wait until your paperclip hook feels the pressure ring thinning and you know you have to retire it anyway. Saves you a lot of expense.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Closed Thread