The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2016, 09:06 PM   #26
rclark

I am using the same single stage (Hornady - Pacific) that my dad and I bought back around 1980. Still going strong. Besides dies and shell holders, the only 'extra' that I can think of is the RCSB hand primer. Oh, and a set of check weights for the scale (which turns out it is still right on anyway, but piece of mind). For the price of just one revolver or pistol, you can have a really nice setup.... Last your a life time and be able to just shoot more of what 'you' want to shoot, not what the factory makes that you have to live with.

And no, not cost effective, just allows you to shoot a lot more for the same price. Ok with me .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; January 13, 2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old January 13, 2016, 09:19 PM   #27
Nick_C_S

Notice how these hard-core loaders almost always have Dillon progressives, and RCBS single stages?

Just sayin'.
Old January 14, 2016, 12:48 AM   #28
rtpzwms

here is a link to a reloading calc for you. You know the cost per round for factory ammo.

http://ultimatereloader.com/tools/re...ts-calculator/
Old January 14, 2016, 07:42 AM   #29
stubbicatt

Maybe put some feelers out to other shooters at the range to see if any of them hand loads, and ask a couple if they would show you their setups. Maybe let you assemble a few cartridges under their tutelage, and see if it is something that appeals to you?

Another question to ask yourself is how risk averse are you? This is a subjective factor that needs to be considered. I remember shooting my first hand loaded cartridges, in 45 ACP. I put the pistol in my left hand, reckoning that if it blows up, I would rather do without that hand than my right hand. I have progressed past that stage, but I am very careful with case inspection, and have learned over the years to choose cartridge/firearm combinations which have fully supported chambers and redundant safety features. Having experienced two kabooms does that to a fella.

When you say "target" loads, perhaps you mean match ammo or perhaps you mean plinking, I don't know which. But if you are talking match ammo, then you will definitely save money very quickly. I say this because if you compare Federal Match ammo costs to your costs for making similar cartridges, the savings stack up quickly. If you are comparing the cost of "blasting" or "plinking" ammo, like Wolf (the dirty dog) you will likely not save money.

To me, the benefits of hand loading include savings, but more importantly I can make cartridges that are not commercially available. I shoot a lot of 32-40 and 30-30 with cast bullets, and reduced velocities using powders like IMR 4227. I can tailor my ammunition to my needs.

Like the others here, I enjoy not being dependent upon a supply system that has been sporadic at best here these last few years.

Last edited by stubbicatt; January 14, 2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old January 14, 2016, 07:54 AM   #30
MrWesson

If you shoot cast or even better cast your own bullets you can save quite a bit of money per round(assuming you have a lead source).

You will not however "save money" you'll just shoot more .

If i have a cheap/free lead source(already have a stockpile) I can reload 1,000 rounds of 9mm for $45 so you tell me?