The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 20, 2001, 04:58 PM   #1
LBC

This scenario struck me as I was driving home today.

Let's say you become involved in a use of deadly force confrontation in the parking lot of a chain restaurant. It could be a carjacking, or an attempted armed robbery, or a violent physical assault. Take your pick. The fact is it's you, armed, against one other person, also armed.

The restaurant is located at a busy intersection. You are behind some cover, i.e. a large mailbox or a telephone pole. You are being fired upon. The assailant may be coming towards you. He is in such a position that if you shoot and miss, your bullet could travel across a heavily travelled road, or into the restaurant. If you step out from behind your cover, you have a cement wall as a backstop.

What do you do?

LBC
Old March 20, 2001, 07:56 PM   #2
gryphon

Retreat into such a position that you can get out, or put him at a suitable backstop.
Old March 20, 2001, 09:26 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The reason for all that practice is so you don't miss.

The reason for spending some time thinking about the "what ifs" of this very sort of situation is so you have some chance to control your emotions--so you don't miss.

Some people are born with "coolness under fire"; some acquire it, and others never, ever get there. Nobody ever said it was easy--nor do I. Somehow, you just have to create a mindset of "high speed boredom", behaving as though the Bad Guy is nothing more than a moving target at an IPSC or IDPA match. Do I have it? Can I do it? I don't know. But I practice and I think about "What if?"

In that parking lot, of course, it's real life, and the only trophy that counts is 1st place--you win, you survive.

(Bill Joprdan said it all in his book, "No Second Place Winner".)

Good (censored) luck...

Art