The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 15, 2011, 03:13 PM   #1
flatstick

Bullseye Shooting Question

Guys,
New to this forum thing.
I have a question:
Is it legal to were light weight gloves in 50ft. 22cal shooting. I was told I could be disqualified if I used them. Thanks
Old October 16, 2011, 03:41 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

There is nothing specifically outlawing gloves per se. However,if they can be perceived as providing artificial support then they would not be allowed. For club level matches I doubt anyone would complain. But if the event is a REGISTERED match it would be best to ask the referee or match director for an opinion rather then risking a DQ.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old October 26, 2011, 07:10 AM   #3
tuj

You can't use gloves. I believe its been discussed on the bullseye-L list before.

Also interesting tidbit, apparently its illegal to wear a watch on your shooting wrist also... not sure why.
Old October 26, 2011, 07:38 AM   #4
spacecoast

Quote:
apparently its illegal to wear a watch on your shooting wrist also
My guess would be that anything that could be construed as adding mass to your arm and helping dampen recoil would not be allowed.
Old October 26, 2011, 07:45 AM   #5
darkgael

Yep

I have been instructed by Officials at matches - when I have forgotten to do so on my own - to remove my watch and a bracelet that I wear on my shooting arm.
No gloves.
Pete
Old October 26, 2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Casimer

+1 on no gloves. But you can modify your pistol's grip, which may accomplish whatever you're looking for from the gloves.
Old October 26, 2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I was shooting with a broken wrist and had a leather wrist band to help hold things together while I shot. Nobody said a word till I got to Georgia for my first All Army match and they made me take it off because it was an artificial brace. I drank a lot of water and took lots of aspirin to get through that match.

Anything that might help your grip or stiffen/support your shooting arm or hand is verboten. Apparently I shouldn't have been wearing it in all the matches leading up to this one but nobody noticed and I got away with it. Just to be safe and not cause hard feelings I would just skip the gloves.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 27, 2011, 10:03 AM   #8
tuj

You can get some sticky spray or modify your grips if you are having trouble getting a good hold. I can't imagine its recoil that's bothering you.