The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2010, 03:30 PM   #1
azphx55

Supplies at Crossroads of West Gun Show?

The first Crossroads gun show since I started reloading (about 2000 rounds of 9, .38spl, .40, .45) is coming to town this weekend, and I wonder if anybody can tell me if I'll be disappointed if I go expecting to bring home a backache and a half of SWC, plated and FMJ in various weights and calibers?

I know I've seen powder and primers while shopping for ammo, and I've seen bags of brass on tables, but I never looked for or noticed a large selection of bullets.

Thanks
Old September 7, 2010, 04:02 PM   #2
azredhawk44

I don't remember being impressed by the prices of any local vendors of bullets.

You'll probably see "Billy Bullets" there, which are molybdemum coated cast lead bullets. They're popular with the guys at Rio Salado's pistol groups (IPSC, USPSA, TNS, ICORE, etc) but I think he's overpriced for what he sells.

You might see Berry's Plated Bullets there, too, since he's based out of Utah.

I'm so disappointed by bullet prices nowadays I just buy from Mike at Mastercast. I just did an order of 10k with him, so I'm good for at least a couple years. Total shipping on a 10k bullet order was a mere $40-odd dollars.

http://www.mastercastbullets.com/home.html

Including shipping, you will be hard-pressed to beat his prices. Especially if you buy in volume.
Old September 7, 2010, 04:05 PM   #3
demigod

I haven't been to a gun show in many years. It doesn't pay off when you have to pay $5 to park, $12 to get in, and it's the same old nonsense every time.

I can order plated bullets from Berrys with free shipping and forget the hastle of the gun show completely.
Old September 7, 2010, 07:28 PM   #4
noylj

You should go to a gun show for the enjoyment of crowds and seeing all the varied things for sale. I'm happy even if I don't buy anything. However, the key to a gun show is that it is a GUN show and that is where you can a deal. Any business that shows up, like at a flea market, is not simply there to sell so they can pay their bills. Look for the little guys off in the corners.
PS: J&G Sales will be bringing a whole mess of guns to the show...
Old September 7, 2010, 07:28 PM   #5
azphx55

Thanks much!

I had been putting off ordering from Berry's until I had seen what the gun show had, and hadn't come across MasterCast, yet. I think I'll put a couple of orders in now.

My wife wants to look at range bags, holsters and magazines, so we'll go anyway, but I won't plan on any heavy lifting.
Old September 7, 2010, 07:54 PM   #6
TXGunNut

I used to like gun shows, not so much lately. Learned a lot looking at stuff and talking to folks there. You'll see things there you're unlikely to find anywhere else. Just like when you were buying ammo some vendors will let you leave your purchases under the table until you're ready to leave. Check prices on things you want and make a list before you go. Never know what you'll find.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 7, 2010, 08:02 PM   #7
noylj

You should go to a gun show for the enjoyment of crowds and seeing all the varied things for sale. I'm happy even if I don't buy anything. However, the key to a gun show is that it is a GUN show and that is where you can a deal. Any business that shows up, like at a flea market, is not simply there to sell so they can pay their bills. Look for the little guys off in the corners.
Old September 7, 2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Jim243

Only thing I've found at gun shows is once fired brass at reasonable prices. Bullets are cheaper on line, but your wife will be happy and will find what she is looking for.

Try here for good prices on bullets.

http://www.rmrbullets.com/

Jim
Old September 7, 2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Crankylove

Quote:
However, the key to a gun show is that it is a GUN show
They used to be. The last few years when I have gone to the local "gun" shows, they seem to have turned into the knife/jewelry/kids toys/flameless candle show...........with a few tables with guns thrown in as an afterthought. There are still some decent deals to be found, but be prepared to haggle............and don't get your hopes up about selection and prices, they seem to be on par (or above) with what my locals stores are asking everyday.
Old September 8, 2010, 09:15 AM   #10
Sevens

There's a couple key things that pretty much make most of the gun shows similar.

First is that with the advent of the USPS flat rate Priority mail boxes, buying bullets and having them shipped is a pretty damn good deal and tough for folks to get close to those prices at gun shows and still make a profit that is worth the time and energy investment. And it's heavy duty work for any dealer that does gun shows to haul around plated or cast lead bullets. Rifle bullets, not so bad -- there's more money in smaller quantities and you don't break your back or the suspension on your mini-van hauling some rifle bullets to shows. But cast lead? Lordy!

Powder and primers are a different ballgame because those are hazmat items and while you can get tremendous savings when you buy in bulk from an online source, you have to purchase enough to cover the shipping (not too bad) and the added hazmat handling fee ($25.) Get some buddies together and split the costs and everyone wins.

So buying powder and primers at the gun show is more likely than picking up handgun bullets. Problem I've had is that gun shows will absolutely gouge on primer prices if you are in the middle of a "crisis." Powder doesn't seem to be quite as bad, but primers at a gun show always seem like sucker buys -- like they really don't intend to sell them to regular customers, but more to new buyers or panic buyers. I've seen some primer prices at gun shows that make you do a double take.

For plated bullets, I'm very happy with the quality, performance, price, service and quick shipping from Berry's direct.
https://www.berrysmfg.com/default.aspx?n=320428
Old September 8, 2010, 11:58 AM   #11
HappySig

IMO it's just not worth it, there has been some very valid points posted here. Here in Las Vegas the last gun show I went to charged me seven dollars to park and $15 for an entrance fee. And the crowd was unbelievable. From your post I cannot ascertain if you have been to a gun show or not. But, if you haven't, it's a good experience to go once, but I will never go to one again.

as another poster stated they've turned into knives\swords\flameless candles\junk shows, the last gun show I went to was about six months ago or so and had a minimal amount of reloading supplies, one vendor had a few thousand cases of once fired .223 brass, I could not find any primers nor any powder, I was surprised to say the least. But, if you do go to buy ammo, bring a hand truck, if your local venue allows them.

As stated before by other posters, you can buy reloading supplies cheaper on the Internet and not have to deal with the hassle. Mike from mastercast is great to deal with. And there are other vendors on the Internet that sell quality products at reasonable prices, even if you do have to pay the delivery charge.

One last thing, and this is something that I didn't realize, but makes total sense. You really don't know what kind of vendors are going to be there, therefore if you go and pay the parking fee in the entrance fee, and fight the crowd, and the gun show really doesn't have any reloading supplies that you can use or the prices are totally outrageous, it's a total bust and a waste of time.
Old September 8, 2010, 03:44 PM   #12
oneounceload

Last time I went to the big Reno show, I brought a handtruck because I always loaded up on primers and .22 ammo (I remember cases of .22 (6250 rounds), for $95 OTD)..They always had good selections of cases, ammo, and decent guns - at least a few years ago anyway.......

Tags
fng , gun show , supplies