The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2011, 09:25 PM   #1
deepcore

Forster Co-Ax Shell holder conversion

Aside from the obvious loss of the ability to not need a set of shell holders for all the calibers you load for.
Is there any other "disadvantage" to converting a Forster Co-Ax to use "conventional" shell holders.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:24 AM   #2
bbqncigars

Using 'conventional' shell holders can result in an off center condition unless properly set up. In the few cases I need to use a fixed shell holder, I reduce the bottom rim thickness so the press jaws can grip it.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:09 PM   #3
deepcore

The off center condition can exist even if you use Forster conversion plate?

Is taking material off of the shell holder a lot of work? I'm thinking you have to make sure you get it the same level all around.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Clark

I have fabricated the shell holder jaws, fabricated the wear plate, and fabricated the shell holder jaw housing.

Last year I came up with a system of two assemblies that I can swap large to small in 10 seconds while blindfolded. That was simply capturing the jaws and springs between the housing and wear plate with a screw.

This year I came up with an improved housing that is stronger, clears the jaw adjustment screw, and captures the springs. I made a dozen and sold them.

In all that time I was never tempted to make co-ax jaws that capture an X shell holder, but you might enjoy doing that.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 19, 2011, 07:56 PM   #5
bbqncigars

Now that's just easy on the eyes. I wish I had the space for a vertical mill. Why do I have the sudden urge to sniff some Dykem?