The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 22, 2010, 12:41 AM   #1
DasFriek

I need an AR style red dot for M&P 15-22

I just picked the gun up today and tried not to impulse buy like i almost did. The gun will be used for plinking and target shooting 50 -100 yards.
Ill say a price first, $150-$200 but if its exceptional maybe $250 but thats pushing it for a plinking .22 ya know?
I know i like the low MOA sized dots of 3 or lower, But ill admit im no very experienced. I know i prefer just a small dot over cross hairs and other picture sights, But swappable styles is a plus. Since this isn't a battle rifle i don't think ill add a carry handle or sling as that just adds bulk, Unless the sight needs it.
Remember i have no handle so the sight will need to be tall, Or ill have to spend more on a handle or a riser which add money and id rather invest in a better sight.

It appears as usual online will be my best bet, So please make sure its a reputable company if you suggest something.
Sure i can just add a $30 Tasco, But i only get to 50 yards with those and with a rifle thats just wasting the gun.

I think i prefer the tube type over a flat panel holographic type,but if you can tell me why it would be better id look into it.

They had this on clearance for $103, But would require a $30 riser or a carry handle. Its a great red dot imo from what i could see threw it. But the 25mm size would make it harder for target acquisition?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00200E0HM/...SIN=B00200E0HM

They also had a Vortex StrikeFire which had a screw on 2x magnifier that would be good for 100 yard target shooting. But still a good wide view un-magnified for 50 yard range.
$150 wich seemed ok for what it offered. I cant find anything online about this exact models, But it had rubber covered buttons on the left side and mounted with a 1" scope riser.

Last edited by DasFriek; January 23, 2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old January 22, 2010, 04:51 AM   #2
Crunchy Frog

Take a look at the BSA holographic sight that Midway USA has on sale for $50. Switchable reticles. For that price you can hardly go wrong.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:31 AM   #3
RUT

Best bang for the buck... right here.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.s...9&categoryId=5
Old January 22, 2010, 09:14 AM   #4
DasFriek

Frog- Those aren't bad for the money, But generally have large dots due to high 5+ MOA and only good to about 25 yards for my crappy eyes. Ill admit i probably could do a 3" group at 50 yards with a sight like that at best. It also would require a $50 handle or a $30 riser added to the price to even use the sight to bring its height up enough to have it in a natural height to see threw comfortably.
On a budget and with a pistol that would be a good combo, But with a Rifle and a $200 budget i think i can do better.

RUT- Any experience with those? As i would agree thats one heck of a sight specs wise for the money. The closest competition is the Barska Electro sight for $99 and i have a hard time seeing the reticle that isn't blurred or a double image on that scope.
So if anyone have testify to this Primary Arms sight i would much appreciate it! Even links only about it, Ill Google and research as far as i can myself. It looks also magnifiyers are an easy add on with this sight which should be affordable also. This does look like a sweet deal if i can find reviews to back its specs up.
Have you dealt with that company with CS and reliability of products?

Ive found this sight if all else fails, $150 online so its not bad but does go up to $165 shipped.
Bushnell Trophy [730132P]

I will admit i would like to add a small quality magnifier for 100-200 yards range shooting, Just for plinking of course so i don't need $600 Trijicon ACOG's
Old January 22, 2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Carne Frio

I have two, one on a Ruger 1022 and one on an AR15. They work fine.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/vortex+strikefire/
Old January 22, 2010, 03:03 PM   #6
RUT

>>RUT- Any experience with those?<<

Yes, I have one on my Sig 522. For $99.00 you can't beat it, especially for a .22 application. I also have the Vortex Strikefire (as someone else mentioned) on my AR, but felt the Primary Arms unit was a better choice for my 522, especially at $50.00 less. Google it if you haven't already, and most of the comments are quite positive.
Old January 23, 2010, 02:22 AM   #7
DasFriek

RUT- It seems you like the Vortex better than the Primary Arms if its on your AR and the PA on the .22
I fixed my OP as the scope i was trying to describe but mis named was the Strikefire which i look at locally and liked, But i knew very little about it and wasn't so impressed by the 2x adapter when looking threw it in a small gun store. It seems it has the most to offer and even tho the dot is 4 MOA it didn't seem that big.

Tell me if im wrong. But i can buy the StrikeFire locally with the high AR mounts for $149 as i like to support my local shop.
It also adds the 2x doubler which will get me 100 yard shots with my crappy eyes.
It also looks a bit more sturdy that the Primary Arms,but heavier.
The big one is the recitals are just dots,i hate ANYTHING other than dots.
The also seem to have a great CS support and lifetime warranty.

I wished i had just bought it 2 days ago when i bought the rifle, But i opted to pay down on a loan i owned my dad as i wasn't sure on what to buy and wanted to research it. Its not that often i stumble upon something hap hazerdly which happened to be my best option.

Does ANYONE DISSAGREE with my putting the Strikeforce on my 15-22?

Im still looking at the Bushnell Trophy 1 x 32mm MP Red Dot, Matte [730132P]

Last edited by DasFriek; January 23, 2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old January 23, 2010, 08:20 AM   #8
RUT

>>It seems you like the Vortex better than the Primary Arms if its on your AR and the PA on the .22<<

I had the Strikefire first, which is why it's on the AR. If I had to do it again, I'd probably still do it this way, although I have no real reason to think one is better than the other. If I were in your shoes I'd go for whichever one you feel comfortable with, as either will do the job quite adequetely.
Old January 23, 2010, 10:32 AM   #9
DasFriek

Thanks, I understand.
My reasoning is the Strikefire has the single dot reticle which i find easiest to use and has little chance of blurring,i think my glasses cause this with reticles with T's and cross hairs.
Secondly the doubler adds the ability to shoot at 100 yards wich i know i cant do with a 1x sight.

I used a Tasco Silver Antler on my .22 pistol i just sold as the idiot shop owner cared more about charging me $60 for a $30 scope knowing it was a muzzle loader scope which didn't fit my gun but with only one hold down screw to hold it on. Anyhow i could do 2" groups with that pistol at 25 yards which was as far as i could effectively use it. Further out the dot covered to much of the target to be effective.
This is why i feel the Primary Arms will only allow me to shoot too 50 yards with the nice small dot, But without the magnifier built in i cant do 100 yards.

I know i can always add a doubler or tripler behind the sight, But id rather do that down the line as it will make the price 2x as much to start with.

If i was fine with just 50 yards the Primary Arms would be my choice.

Im still accepting suggestions from anyone who thinks they have a good one.
Old January 27, 2010, 12:24 AM   #10
Carne Frio

The Strikefire has a lot going for it. Switchable between
red and green, included mount and doubler.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:11 AM   #11
Double Naught Spy

I had one of those Bushnells shown above. It did not hold a zero very well. I am sure that can happen with any maker from time to time, but it happened to me with that model of Bushnell. You won't get any greater distance with the Bushnell over a Tasco red dot as neither has magnification.

Given that it is a .22, I think you could probably go with several less costly options that would work just fine.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:53 AM   #12
riggins_83

Check out any of the Bushnell or Burris red dots...
Old January 28, 2010, 10:08 AM   #13
DasFriek

I kind of have a final result type report, But its not done yet.

I found the perfect red dot, Or so i thought. It was a Tasco Trophy 1x28 red and green with 4 reticles and a 3MOA small dot. Picked it up for $99 and seemed like a steal despite knowing i would never be able to shoot past 50'.

I put it on a 1" riser and headed to the indoor 75' range locally to sight it in. I spent 2+ hours trying to sight it in, The problem is it would center in at 20' then at 30' be 2" high and then off the paper at 40'.
I swapped every single part in and out, back wards and forwards including testing the gun with iron sights to make sure it wasn't it.

My guess is the issue is the drum the reticles aren't aligned correctly and it has a POA thats on a ramp.

Another thing i realized is even 50' is getting hard to see anymore, and i could do just as well with a pistol as i could with a rifle since i couldn't see far enough to take advantage of the rifles extra longer distance benefits.
This also gave me and another discovery, I cant see AR iron sights for nothing. Even at 20' it was amazing how bad my eyes wouldn't adjust correctly looking threw holes in the rear sight and then seeing the front post and the target all at the same time.

So i kept the 1" riser and put on this BSA scope:
http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=313 Model:HM39X40RGBD
Its a 3-9x40 with 3 illuminated dot reticles.
The only down side is the eye relief, But since i only target shoot with my .22's i see that as a non issue, Plus i can see great as close as 5' with it.
I think the illuminated dots may be a tad more of a novelty, But i do like it as it makes it stand out better against the target. It also doesn't magnify the dot size like a 2x red dot does.

Of course i wasted my last bit of cash at the range yesterday and cant afford more range time for a few days when i get paid to sight it in, That made me more mad than anything as i was so frustrated i only put two mags threw my P238 to test the extra power recoil spring in it since i carry it 24/7
BTW the 12lb Mustang extra power recoil spring and HD firing pin spring as usual make a big difference in taming recoil, Even tho that gun doesn't suffer to bad anyhow from it.

But its not over as i said, Im still gonna add a reflex style red dot low to mid priced just for days i want to do some fast target acquisition for short range rapid fire.
Old January 30, 2010, 10:08 AM   #14
vvaldez28

Reply for M&P 15-22

Hi there, check out this link from NcSTAR - very budget priced and a lot of special options included for the price with various styles. They typical come with multiple reticles and batteries, etc. If you are into spending more money, check out the EOTech or Trijicon, but almost double the price you might want to spend. I have used NcSTAR in the past and have been very happy. I have added a link for your convenience.

http://www.blue-sky-products.com/opt...ts-ncstar.html

Good luck and keep us posted!