The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Bill Daniel

Things I learn not to repeat.

As I finished adjusting my Redding body sizing die to set the shoulder back about 0.001" and I coated the inside with CRP in preparation to storing it and then thought I might check my measurement one more time. So I lightly coated the next case with Imperial wax and sized the case. It stuck, boy did it stick! After pulling the lips off the case head and hammering out the primer area with a Phillips head screw driver and using a Propane torch to heat the die, three hours later I got the case out.
The die seems OK and I cleaned it back up but I will always make sure my sizing dies are clean and dry before use.
I will next purchase a "stuck case remover" but I think I might have broken my press on this one.
All the best, Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old January 30, 2012, 06:44 AM   #2
JR_Roosa

Yep, stuck cases suck.

I got my new Forster press and they advertise that it's powerful enough to size a case without lube. Thought I'd give it a try with a .30-06. Don't know what I was thinking.

It could probably pull the sucker out, but the rim gave way first.

Go to ace hardware and get an allen head machine screw, drill bit, tap, and washers and with the right size socket as a spacer you can pop them right back out again without waiting for a stuck case kit to ship.

Find one a little bigger than the primer pocket and a fine pitch so you get optimal leverage.

-J.
Old January 30, 2012, 07:39 AM   #3
F. Guffey

Dan, you broke your press? Heated the die with a torch? You coated the die with CRP?

I clean my dies with a towel on a dowel, I am not a fan of abusing a press, as to ‘pulling the lips off’, I do not know what press you are using, all of my presses allow me to rotate the shell holder when the case is stuck, by rotating the shell holder I can remove the shell holder from the ram and case at the same time, the reason? After removing the die with the stuck case I can screw the die in from the bottom (upside down), then use the press as a vise to hold the die with the stuck case. Stuck case remover, drill, bit, tap, bolt to match the threads of the tap, washers for spacers and a nut that matches the puller (bolt).

Some insist on 1/4 inch, expect for small diameter cases, I insist on 3/8” pullers.

F. Guffey
Old January 30, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
CrustyFN

That's what I like about Lee dies. If I stick a case all I have to do is loosen the nut on top of the die and then drive the case out with a hammer and punch. I can remove a stuck and be back to reloading in around three minutes.
Old January 30, 2012, 04:00 PM   #5
sigshepardo

I got a .25-06 case stuck because I was using WD-40 ( someting else I will never do ). I called RCBS about it, and they agreed to take the die and remove the case. All I had to pay was the shipping, which was about 5 dollars. What good business!
Old January 30, 2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I don't think any of the stuck case removers are bullet proof. Someone here recently bent his Lee decapper rod on a stuck case. I've had stuck case removers pull the whole heads of two cases.

What I finally learned is to take advantage of the fact brass shrinks more than steel does as it cools. Heating it would make it stick harder, but putting it in the freezer makes it easier to pull.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 30, 2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Bill Daniel

Things I learn not to repeat

Thanks to all for your thoughts.
Guffey- I did not break the press but was concerned I might if I had tried a "stuck case remover" The CRP was my mistake but when burned with a torch leaves a attractive blue finish and no I won't be using that method to beautify any more dies.
Crusty- the body sizing die is open and as you suggested I tried to pound it free but only succeeded in punching a hole through the case head. As mentioned it was stuck, Space Shuttle re-entry heat shield tile stuuuck.
Uncle Nick- thanks for the metallurgy lesson. How long do you freeze the die before attempting to dislodge the case.
JR and sigshepardo- thanks also for your advice.
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old January 31, 2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Sport45

What is CRP?
Old January 31, 2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

I think it's broadly Composition Rust Preventive. I suppose Corrosion-X Rust Preventive is another candidate.

Bill,

Figure to leave it in for an hour. Should be more than enough time to equilibrate. If that doesn't let you pull it loose, take a Styrofoam box and pick up some dry ice. Set a cloth pad on it (to prevent thermal shock) and set the die on the pad and put the lid on and go away for an hour.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 31, 2012, 06:57 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

I had a .223 case stick in a Lee FL die a while back. I used the stick it in the freezer for an hour, and then loosened the top nut, and used a puch. The case did come out. The decapping rod looked like a nail that was caught in a knot hole it bent pretty good. Though an email to Lee, and a new one was in my mail box a few days later.
Old January 31, 2012, 09:32 PM   #11
Tim R

I stuck a 223 case once. An RCBS stuck case remover took it right out.
Old January 31, 2012, 10:03 PM   #12
Bill Daniel

Things I learn not to repeat.

Sport45 thanks for noticing and Uncle Nick thanks for trying to cover for me but in reality "OH CRP" is what I believe I said when the case stuck. It was, however, coated, eversolightly but coated none the less, with Breakfree CLP.
Thanks again to all and I will preview my posts before I submit from here on.
Bill