The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 12, 2016, 05:23 PM   #1
rickyrick

How long will this fancy bolt last .... Sharps

So I bought it because someone else on the forum had mentioned in the past....

Supposed to solve the problems that occur when a person never cleans their rifle or doesn't have a chance.

My 300 bo build was under budget, so I decided to splurge on this bolt. I usually don't get into all the fancy coatings and all.

This one has fancy coating and redesigned lug profiles and some beveled edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 12, 2016, 05:37 PM   #2
Wyosmith

It probably will last long enough to not worry about, but I have to just come out and say it;

The Emperor really is naked.

Only the most educated and sophisticated among the gun world can see the problem with the standard AR bolt used in semi-auto guns, and the urgent need to fix it, .................and they also are the only ones enlightened enough to "see" the Emperor's new cloths and are willing (for a price) to enlighten you too.

Such a deal..................
Old September 12, 2016, 05:49 PM   #3
rickyrick

Yup I agree that it most likely is fixing a problem that I'll never experience. Money spent on guns isn't really wasting it, with the sale it wasn't too much more than a proper milspec bolt.

I will post an update in 25 years when I break it
Old September 12, 2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Model12Win

He a shiny one.

Daddy like.
Old September 12, 2016, 06:02 PM   #5
rickyrick

Here's confidence in your product, step #15

Heck, I was wondering what to do with this,

I was thinking that I should build a rifle around it instead of recycling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 12, 2016, 06:11 PM   #6
stagpanther

I may have been the one to recommend it--I have one and have found it very easily locks up with extensions and so far shows no signs of "sharp-edge" drag that you often find on "conventionally lugged" bolts while chambering a round.

If they made them for 308 platforms (I wish) I would buy one without hesitation.

But if it looks like something you don't really need--then don't use it!
Old September 12, 2016, 06:36 PM   #7
rickyrick

Well it's noticeably smoother while operating by hand, seems very well made and finished. Packaged better than any other AR part I've bought.

Seems like a good product.

Still really interested in the 25-45 but that will be a 2017 project. The 25-45 has caused me to visit sharps product page several times.

The prices are very fair, in my opinion.
Old September 13, 2016, 08:30 AM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

I bought one. So far I know of only one place that has really tested them (machine gun rental place in Vegas) and that is just anecdotal, not data. They only had two of the Sharps bolts - one died around 6000 and the other was still going but had less than 20k? (going from memory here so could be foggy).

There has been at least one recall of Sharps bolts due to hydrogen embrittlement issues.* The owner didn't know if these bolts were pre or post recall. The owner didn't bother acquiring any other Sharps bolts because he was already getting over 20k on the budget bolts he was using.

*I've got a list of broken pistol parts and every single one of them had an NP3 finish (as the Sharps bolt does). It is tough to make a fair comparison because that pistol has had probably four times the round count of the next nearest competitor; but it doesn't reassure me any.

As far as use, it is slicker and cleans up better than NiB without discoloring. Logically, the design changes they made should improve function; but there isn't a lot of hard data to support that conclusion I have seen.