The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 9, 2002, 11:16 PM   #26
dZ

here is the full "Hack" job:
http://charlies-angels.org/glamourous-gun-pose.jpg
Old April 9, 2002, 11:21 PM   #27
HKguy9

So I take it Sabrina is the one on the right?
Old April 9, 2002, 11:26 PM   #28
C.R.Sam

Waitone n Skunkabilly.......that be straight scoop. Dates from the Roman rule in merrie olde England.

Sam, now selling gopher fences.
Old April 10, 2002, 08:07 AM   #29
Ragin Cajun

Does ANYBODY have a picture of her in this pose???

I gave a company safety meeting last year on gun safety using Power Point. I tried for weeks to find her in that pose and never did. I had her with the gun straight ahead and the three angels but not Sabrina with the gun pointed up.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cangel1.jpg (13.6 KB, 355 views)
Old April 10, 2002, 08:34 AM   #30
4V50 Gary
Staff

I remember when the show was on the air, but I never watched so I can't tell you which of the three is Sabrina. However, I do recall that Farrah Fawcett was one of the original angels and her sister, Cheryl Ladd, replaced her when she left.
Old April 10, 2002, 09:26 AM   #31
Ragin Cajun

Sabrina is the one on our left, their right. The brunette.
Old April 10, 2002, 09:39 AM   #32
HKguy9

Good thing they got those long trigger pulls on those DA revolvers, finger on trigger, and all!! Sheesh!
Old April 10, 2002, 09:45 AM   #33
Gino

No one has mentioned WHY the move was invented for the TV show Charlie's Angels. It was so a picture could get her face and the gun at the same time. Beauty and "excitement" in the same pic. Looks great on a TV or movie poster.

Funny how a supid TV show can have such an impact on our culture. Most trainers have to teach beginning students WHY it is not proper. Same thing as how people on TV/movies will stand with their back against a building when getting ready to turn a corner. Why not turn 90 degrees or so and FACE the corner you are about to go around?

Makes you wonder about other stupid things you might be doing and not realize it...
Old April 10, 2002, 10:14 AM   #34
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Old April 10, 2002, 11:11 AM   #35
dZ

Nope that's Shelly Hack

sabrina was Kate Jackson
the Brainy Brunette

>>>>CHARLIE'S ANGELS

Weekdays at 12 pm ET / 9 am PT.
Saturdays & Sundays at 7 pm ET / 4 pm PT.

They're sexy and sporty, but most of all deadly. They can go undercover in all the chic clubs, razzle-dazzle the villains with nothing more than a glimmer of their pearly whites and flippant one-liners, hurdle motorbikes over bridges without messing their 'doos or smearing their make-up, and swing from flying trapezes. They are the girls of Townsend Detective Agency, and now almost a quarter of a century after they first began their fist-swingin', high-kickin' spicy escapades, Charlie's Angels are back in action.

While Sabrina Duncan (Kate Jackson), Jill Monroe (Farrah Fawcett) and Kelly Garrett (Jaclyn Smith) are all perfectly and glamorously accessorized, their show isn't all hair and make-up - it's guns, too. These girls expertly thwart and lock up the bad guys with the assistance of Bosley (David Doyle) and the mysterious manager behind the speakerphone, Charles Townsend (the voice of John Forsythe, who reprised his role for the 2000 remake).

Sabrina is the calm, multilingual leader, Jill the athletic lass, and Kelly the former showgirl who's "been around." Together, they're an intelligent, elite, fighting force.

Few TV series scream '70s louder than Charlie's Angels. Created by Beverly Hills 90210 mastermind Aaron Spelling and partner Leonard Goldberg, the provocative series debuted in the fall of 1976 as part of ABC's saucier programming agenda that also included a little comedy titled Three's Company. Charlie's Angels follows three skilled female detectives, regularly dispatched on dangerous crime-fighting tasks by Charlie. The Angels, as Charlie dubbed the clan, are assisted each week by the wealthy recluse's sidekick, John Bosley (David Doyle), as they chase evil villains, who materialize everywhere from Vegas night spots and health spas to western ranches and women's prisons.

While the show didn't bode well with the critics of the era (they labelled the show gratuitous, "massage parlour television" and "jiggleTV"), it was an instantaneous hit with audiences of all ages, colours, creeds and, significantly, both sexes. Ranked the 4th highest rated show of 1977 - 78 season, Charlie's Angles held steady in the top 20 for its entire run and garnered over 18,000 fan letters each and every week. The show was a phenomenon in it's own right. The Angels found themselves not only on gum cards, doll boxes, puzzles and posters, but they also found themselves on the cover of Time magazine.

Pundits have often theorized on the show's unpredicted popularity. While the sex-factor obviously played some part in its success, some have also argued for a more cerebral evaluation. The third incarnation of the women's right movement reached its zenith at about the same time that Charlie's Angels hit the airwaves. So, just as the Civil Rights movement forced equality for blacks into the public eye in the '60s, so did the ERA movement for women in the '70s. It wasn't a coincidence that the latter part of the decade spawned shows such as Police Woman, The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, and, of course, Charlie's Angels. Liberation was embraced, no matter how frivolous the content.

As for the Angels themselves, they were a constantly revolving crew. Playing the uber-sophisticated Kelly Garrett, Jaclyn Smith was the only star to stay on board for the show's entire run. Kate Jackson, who played the intelligent Angel, Sabrina Duncan, left the series after the third season. Farrah Fawcett (then married to Six Million Dollar Man star Lee Majors) became a superstar with her role as the athletic Jill Munroe, but also thanks to her renowned swimsuit photo, which eventually became the biggest-selling pin-up of all time. Dissatisfied with the creative direction of the show, and longing to kick-start a film career, Fawcett high-tailed it from the series after the premiere season, returning briefly in six contractually-mandated guest appearances scattered throughout the remainder of the show's lifespan.

Fawcett's replacement was Max Factor model turned starlet Cheryl Ladd, who played Jill Munroe's little sister, Kris, for three years. Kate Jackson also left, in 1979, and was replaced by Shelley Hack, as Tiffany Welles, who was later replaced by Tanya Roberts as Julie Rogers when ratings began to decline in 1980. Ultimately, the series was cancelled in 1981, and the final episode broadcast June 24th of that year, but not before Charlie's Angels left its mark on pop culture history as one of the defining shows of the era.

>>>

heres some Angelic gun handling by the original Cast
http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/...RAVOangels.JPG
it looks like more of a "Full Jill"
& a "Full Kelly"
"Sabrina" appears to be the "Bright one"

Farrah Fawcett-Majors with a gun really scares me
Old October 7, 2002, 07:30 PM   #36
WAGCEVP

kinda reminds me of the MMM t- shirts back in 2000 in DC....
the no gun sign (circle w/ slash thru it) the gun pointing up towards the wearer's head
Old October 8, 2002, 06:27 AM   #37
joeislove

Full Sabrina = Gun at or near head level, pointed straight up.

Half Sabrina = Gun at or near head level, pointed at 45 degrees.

Why it's a bad idea: If you are clearing a house or in some other type of situation where you might encounter sudden, unexpected resistance, it's better to have your gun arm pointed down instead of up, in case some grabs you by that arm.

If they grab you, and your arm is down, leverage is on your side; the action of stepping away from the attack brings your arm out straight, and even a shot fired early should strike them in the legs or abdomen.

If you get grabbed while your arm is in the air, leverage is on their side. They can use your arm to more easily control your center of gravity, and push you around. You're going to have a hard time getting your weapon back into the fight.

Have a friend grab your arm when you're holding it out at waist level, then in "full Sabrina" pose. See which is easier to break out of. Now try it with a water pistol. See which starting position makes it easier to get to the point where you can take a shot, even a shot at his thigh.

I may be wrong. This is the way I understood it, but I'm just a grasshopper.
Old October 8, 2002, 09:03 AM   #38
theberettaman

dz, WOW that's scary. Way too much info!
Old October 8, 2002, 11:46 AM   #39
Kentucky Rifle

Does anyone know where that photo of Algore was taken?

'Nam was hot, and then hotter. If you tried to carry a load like that, you'd get about 100 yards and keel over due to heat-stroke! Not to mention the difficulty of getting that load through the jungle.

KR
Old October 8, 2002, 03:16 PM   #40
Gomez

Generally, Full Sabrina is two hands on the gun, Half Sabrina is one hand on the gun. I've never heard a reference to the angle (straight up or at 45-degrees) being used in the description. Anyway, while I can't see any validity to the two handed Full Sabrina, I've grown to appreciate the Half Sabrina (well, a modified Half Sabrina) as a valid and useful gun manipluation position.

Here's why:

Good guys don't point guns at other good guys. If I don't need to be pointing my gun at you, the muzzle needs to be oriented either up or down. For down I use Position Sul, or a variation of Sul. That is my default, gun out of holster, not pointing at someone position. However, Sul is a terrible gun manipulation position. Try and reload, reduce a stoppage, etc from Sul. Doesn't work very well, does it? Well, you can point your gun "downrange" if you're on a range, but in the real world where are you going to point it.

Now, if I retract my pistol from Point to the Half Sabrina, or Norte, position (gun muzzle is up, mag well is rolled inboard. knuckles of my gun hand are at about cheekbone level.) The magwell of the gun, is right in my periphreal vision, to aid in my reload, and to decrease the liklihood of my looking down, at the gun. If my head ducks down to look at the gun during the reload, my situational awareness is decreased and my body language looks a lot more passive than I'd like in the middle of a fight for my life. The gun is cocked for a weapon strike, if need be. The gun and forearm are offering protection to my head and neck.

I can, and will, adjust the angle on Norte as the situation dictates. Sometimes it will be straight up (90* up from parallel), sometimes it might be as low as 45* up from parallel.

I guess the gun manipulation position that I use is not quite a "Full Sabrina" but it does share a surprising number of chartacteristics with it.

Anyway, those are my contrary thoughts on the matter.

*NOTE* "Norte" is sort of a joking reference to the opposite of "Sul". Sul=South in Portugeuse. Gun down.
Norte=North. Gun up.
Old October 8, 2002, 04:17 PM   #41
benewton

It's old, I know, but, males only, repeat after me, with the appropriate gestures:

"This is my rifle, this is my gun..."
Old October 8, 2002, 04:25 PM   #42
Gomez

Great movie, but the line was nonsense.