The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 11, 2015, 04:53 PM   #76
Sevens

Not a misprint? Perhaps we could argue terminology. It must be mis-priced or mis-marked if not a misprint. If that is the "everyday low price" then I would suggest you take a second mortgage on your house and go in to the safe business.
Old November 11, 2015, 07:35 PM   #77
Rembrandt

Unit was a floor demo. Turned out it was being discontinued for another line of safes.
Old November 14, 2015, 07:42 AM   #78
Mike40-11

Early 90s I picked up an unissued 1954 Russian SKS for $100. Guy always had crates of them at the gun shows. I'd been walking buy them for a couple years finally broke down. Can't get a Chinese knockoff for that now.

Great condition Enfield No.4 for $150 around 2010.

At an auction this year I picked up a perfect condition Pacific 12 gauge press, 5 sets of rifle dies, several thousand bullets in various calibers, several thousand assorted brass, miscellaneous other reloading components ad tools AND a shootable 1886 Spanish Remington Rolling block. All in just over $500.

Last edited by Mike40-11; November 14, 2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old November 14, 2015, 06:53 PM   #79
357 Python

I just got quite a deal. I was at an estate sale today and found some grips on a table. One set was the Colt Pachmayr and the other was a second generation set that was missing the screw and the grip nut. The second generation set was in pristine condition other than the screw and nut. One side was much darker than the other but that didn't matter to me especially for the price. I took it to the guy in charge of that section for a price and you won't believe what price he quoted. He said $10.00 each, that's right ten dollars each. You better believe both came home with me. There were a lot of other shooting items there and I snatched up my share, maybe more. The deals are out there if you look and wait long enough. The last 5 times at this company's sales I haven't bought anything this time made up for it.

BTW I ordered a screw and nut from Numrich Arms for about $11 shipped so I don't believe I have done too bad.
Old November 14, 2015, 07:10 PM   #80
Oysterboy

Hah, you did good.

Estate sales can be goldmines as you found out. My neighbor died next door and they had an estate sale. In there I found an Invacare bed, an electric one that you can raise both ends with a remote. They wanted $300 for it but they sell for $1600+. I didn't have enough so I had to pass it up.

Damn, I wanted it but the next day which was Sunday they asked me if I'm still interested and they're letting it go for $100. hell yeah I bought it and busted my ass carrying it home piece by piece. The frame with the motors was a back breaker. talk about thick steel.
Old November 15, 2015, 09:04 AM   #81
Rembrandt

A Herters turret press......$5 at a garage sale.

Old November 28, 2015, 08:31 AM   #82
truenorthern

First Fun Show I ever took my Wife to, NIB SKS's were $55.00. Mind you that was early 90's.
Latest hot deal was 9mm. ammo at Wallymart for $6.95 a box, roll back price. What ever that is. The kicker was the guy at the counter said I could buy as much as I wanted as he had lots'. Now I have lot's too!
Old November 29, 2015, 01:04 AM   #83
silverbullet6oh
Registration in progress

FEG-PA63

The gun shop I bought an FEG-PA63 from didnt know much about the guns. I was able to get it for $150.00. After owning it for a couple years, I sold it for $350.00 Wish I never would have sold it. Fantastic firearm.
Old December 2, 2015, 12:24 AM   #84
OcelotZ3

Found a custom built flintlock w/broken frizzen spring at a gun show for $450, and the guy took it down to $400. Showed a number of photos on a black powder site and they said it was worth between $2000-3000.

Icing on the cake was that the lock had a lifetime warranty so all I had to do was send the broken part back and I received a new one free.

Scott
Old December 2, 2015, 01:37 AM   #85
AzShooter

Smith & Wesson Model 22A for $50.

Working as a range officer at a big match Smith offered all of us this gun at a super price. I only wish I would have bought more.
http://s7.photobucket.com/user/AzSho...tuff.jpg.html][/URL]http://[/IMG]
Old December 2, 2015, 02:24 AM   #86
Brit

Nasty people miss out selling Browning Hi Power. As new, never fired!

Back in the 60s, I was working nr Manchester, UK. Dropped into Withy Grove, a gun shop. In the counter, a new Browning Hi-Power, civilian, deep blue, wall nut? Grips. Two Civy magazines, 13 rounders.

"Can I look at it?" After wiping my hands on my handkerchief, I examined it.

I said it looks unfired, new? I said "yes it is." How much "20 Pounds" he said.

Now, first of all, you could not buy a new one, in the UK at that time, I knew of them being bought, and shipped to hot spots, Malaya came to mind.

I looked stunned, and said "Twenty quid?" Yes he said, I put 5 quid on it, went to my local Cop Shop, had it added to my Firearms Book (England?)

Went back the next day to pick it up.

The kid who served me was smiling when I took delivery.

What's funny I said.

He looked around to make sure his boss was not there and proceeded to tell me the story.

A civil Engineer had a two-year contract to do some big project in an Army Base in Cypres. Another hot spot.

He paid a lot more than 20 Quid. He rolled out the first day on the job, nice shoulder holster, over his shirt.

MP, Sgt. "Excuse me, Sir, are you an Officer, looking doubtful" I would imagine. "No my Man, I am an Engineer" or words to that effect, he was a right arrogant BXXXXXX" According to the Kid.

It was being sold on consignment, he could not buy it? Don't know why.

So the Manager who was not impressed with this person.
Put the twenty quid price on it!!! I ran to the Van, never heard a word.

It was stolen in a house burglary in Canada many years later, Serial number (took it off it breaks a law?) I will never forget it. If anyone sees it, arrest the owner!

Last edited by Brit; December 2, 2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old December 2, 2015, 08:33 AM   #87
CajunBass

I got one yesterday that I thought I'd add. Or I thought it was pretty good.

Ruger LC9s, NIB for $250.00. Regular tag price was $399.00. The frame is raspberry pink, but I don't care about that. I was told they only come with one magazine, but there were two in the box when I got it home.

Couple other Rugers (used) I've gotten good deals on.

A Police Security-Six, 357, 4" barrel for $300.00. Finish was worn, but mechanically it was in great shape.

A P95DC, with a ten round magazine, 9mm for $275.00. I have really enjoyed this one at the range. Even I shoot good with this gun.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 2, 2015, 07:53 PM   #88
iraiam

bought a used Ruer Redhawk 44 magnum from a friend for $100, I think it was pretty heavily fired, and still is, but it turned out to be a fantastic shooter.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old December 2, 2015, 08:36 PM   #89
Huffmanite

Best deal for me was the day I went into a Cabela's Texas store and came out with a SAKO FN commercial mauser action 30-06 made back in the early 1950s for $360 (plus tax). Sako was not making their own actions back then. Found it in their used rifle racks identified as a custom mauser rifle with a $460 price on it. Was probably the lowest cost bolt rifle in their racks holding perhaps 140 or so used rifles. So, happens that day, Cabelas had an extra 10% for a firearm purchase. Long story, but basically got 20% off, which I didn't realize till I looked at my receipt, for maybe 7 different items, in parking lot and noticed the $360 rifle price. Then it dawned on me that clerk who'd started my purchase paperwork had put price of $400 on it and when I'd paid for the rifle, that clerk gave me another 10%.

Gets better. I wasn't sure about the rifle being a Sako built one....had faintly remembered reading Sako had used FN commercial actions in their first rifles sold in U.S. Well, 180 miles later and I'm back home, did an internet search and found three of these early SAKO rifles on Guns America for sale. Prices ranged from $900 to $1400.

Mind you, the stock on mine had its share of wear and tear. However, it bore and rail wear from bolt looked like it'd hardly been shot.....one of nicest bores I'd ever seen....appeared new. I imagined it'd been someones truck rifle due to condition of stock. Except for corrosion/pitting at end of muzzle (I'll recrown the barrel), rest of metal was quite good.
I
Old December 3, 2015, 07:36 PM   #90
Jack O'Conner

I bought a 4 bedroom house in Reading, Pennsylvania for cost of back taxes and related interest: $12,400. I spent another $7,500. on renovations, upgrades, and repairs. Then rent it for $800. per month. Sweet deal!!

Jack
Old December 7, 2015, 07:12 PM   #91
TheNatureBoy

I traded a Springfield XD .45 for a custom .280 Interarms. Boyds Stock, 26" Douglas heavy barrel, Ruger action. Its 45 years old and in mint condition. Its my go to hunting rifle.