The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 24, 2015, 08:45 PM   #1
DennisCA

Tung Oil Question

RE:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562917

I am finishing up a stock using one part tung oil and one part mineral spirits.
Before I reassemble it, do I put anything on the stock as top coat or am I'm GTG?
Old May 24, 2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Rondog

Over the tung oil? Just multiple coats of it is all you need, buffed with a cloth. You could top it with Tom's 1/3 Military Gunstock Wax. That's good stuff that a lot of people use. Or you could make your own, it's 1 part each of beeswax, tung or linseed oil, and turpentine. I just buy Tom's.

http://www.thegunstockdoctor.com/index.html
Old May 24, 2015, 10:18 PM   #3
DennisCA

"Rondog-Over the tung oil? Just multiple coats of it is all you need, buffed with a cloth. You could top it with Tom's 1/3 Military Gunstock Wax. That's good stuff that a lot of people use. Or you could make your own, it's 1 part each of beeswax, tung or linseed oil, and turpentine. I just buy Tom's."

I have (and use) Tom's 1/3 Military Gunstock Wax - It's great stuff, just don't use it inside the house (unless you want to smell up the house)!
Old May 24, 2015, 10:50 PM   #4
Rondog

Oh it smells great! Certainly no worse than the wife's candles and scent burner things everywhere. I like it. I've moved from tung oil and mineral spirits to BLO and turpentine, gotta love it!
Old May 27, 2015, 02:11 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Just multiple thin coats applied over several days with 24 hours drying tine between coats is all you need. Once the last coat is dry, nothing else will penetrate. And you don't need the mineral spirits, but it must be pure tung oil.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:25 AM   #6
tobnpr

If you want to knock down some of the high gloss, Birchwood Casey's Stock Sheen & Conditioner works well.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 30, 2015, 04:00 PM   #7
Pahoo

Bingo !!!

Quote:
And you don't need the mineral spirits, but it must be pure tung oil.
On new or fresher tung oil, you don't need to make up any of the spirits. On older tung oils you may but for the most part, no mineral spirits needed. ...

Quote:
If you want to knock down some of the high gloss
A number of years ago, I contacted Birchwood-Casey, about the availability of a semi-glass True-Oil. Stated they were working on it. Well, I guess they are still working on it. ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 30, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old May 31, 2015, 07:27 AM   #8
mete

Tung oil ? Years back I came across a comment that during the handling of Japanese rifles was causing a good number of problems .This turned out to be tung oil allergy !
AFAIK the tung oil available contains only small amounts of tung oil mixed with things like linseed.
Old May 31, 2015, 09:58 AM   #9
603Country

Woodcraft sells good pure Tung Oil, which is what I use. I used to use BLO, but rarely do so anymore. The Tung Oil is better. I'm not using it on gunstocks, but on wooden bowls, cutting boards, and cooking tools. I use a good bit of it. Walnut Oil is also a good option, but I still prefer the Tung oil.

None of the above oils will survive a trip through the dishwasher, so don't put your gun stock in the dishwasher.

Tung oil is a nut oil, so could be a problem for someone with a peanut allergy.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:13 AM   #10
Pahoo

Stuck in a rut !!!

Quote:
The Tung Oil is better.
Have to admit that I'm stuck in a very "comfortable" rut. I have refinished firearms that have survived many cold and wet Midwest winters for over 30yrs.
I'm sure there are many other products just as good but how do you measure these against my Tru-Oil history. .....

As in most things, we stop looking when we find something that works well for us and that's where I am. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 31, 2015, 07:19 PM   #11
603Country

I didn't say that Tung oil is better than Tru Oil, but just that it was better than BLO. If someone asked what I like best, I'll say that I'm a huge fan of Waterlox Original in satin. It isn't a fast finish, but applied properly it's very nice. Also, unlike BLO or Tung Oil, it will fill pores on wood. Depends on the wood itself and how big the pores are, but 5 or 6 coats ought to do it. As for time, 3 weeks will allow for application and curing. The oil used in the blend of materials is Tung Oil.