The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 31, 2014, 09:22 AM   #1
NJgunowner

Finally broke down and ordered a Mosin

I've wanted one forever, but never seemed to get around to buying one. It'll be interesting to see what kind of shape it's in and how much cosmoline I have to clean off (the reason I never bought one until now :P)

It arrives to my FFL monday from Buds, most of the places like Aimsurplus I'd normally try were out. They list them as excellent, so here's hoping
Old December 31, 2014, 08:00 PM   #2
Targa

Hope you get a good one. I was the same as you, always wanted one but never got around to it until last year. One of my favorite guns to shoot, just make sure to hold the rifle tight into your shoulder or that steel butt plate will beat you up a bit....
Old January 1, 2015, 10:29 AM   #3
NJgunowner

Yeah, it'll be fun . I had a Sig 556 but I found the 5.56 round totally unsatisfying. That and I have thing for WW2 rifles. Next on my list is a Mauser and M1 Garand. For some idiotic reason NJ banned the M1 Carbine
Old January 1, 2015, 10:49 AM   #4
tobnpr

I bought several from Bud's year ago before I got my FFL (they won't ship to collectors, so I don't buy them there anymore)- and they were excellent refurbs. Not so much for collecting- but great shooters. The ones I got had already been cleaned up- but no idea what you might get today. Pretty sure they sell Century imports.

Be sure to follow up and let us know what you got- and remember that the surplus ammo is corrosive primed.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 1, 2015, 11:21 AM   #5
NJgunowner

Oh ya I know all about the ammo . I have a 440 round spam can all ready to go. Frankly I'm more interested in shooting them than collecting. I don't want wall hangers.

Most of the reviews I've read say these aren't heavily covered in cosmoline so I'm hoping cleanup won't be too much trouble. I'll take before and after pics and post them here for anyone who is interested.
Old January 1, 2015, 11:27 AM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

Century says they have not gotten any Mosins in for a while & doesn't know if or when they will.
Denis
Old January 1, 2015, 12:42 PM   #7
wingspar

Separate the action from the stock, then Mineral Spirits will make short work on the cosmoline on the metal parts. A few minutes, and your done. The stock will take some time and patients. A hair dryer works on the stock. Work small areas at a time. It is most likely packed in grease, not cosmoline.
Old January 1, 2015, 04:37 PM   #8
NJgunowner

The stocks are supposed to be refinished, so here's hoping they are clean already. I have M-pro 7 handy, and that stuff is supposed to work really good at removing cosmoline. If that doesn't work I'll move on to mineral spirits.

I hate dealing with messy goop,
Old January 1, 2015, 05:26 PM   #9
SpookBoy

I did some sks's about a month ago, I used clear latex/plastic gloves, a gas mask & a couple gallons of diesel fuel. It took a little while, but with rags it came off nicely. I used the gas mask because the fuel gives me a headache. And a couple of brass bristle brushes. Those come in handy, leave the metal in the fuel for a few hours & the cosmoline will come off in chunks.

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old January 1, 2015, 08:07 PM   #10
NJgunowner

Yeah won't be using diesel fuel or anything like that, I live in a condo.
Old January 1, 2015, 08:39 PM   #11
tobnpr

Quote:
Century says they have not gotten any Mosins in for a while & doesn't know if or when they will.
Century has Mosin-Nagants for sale all over their website. Some cracked stocks, some refurbs, exc. condition, some laminated stocks...
They had hex receivers until recently but apparently just sold out of them.

Whomever you're talking to at Century is misinformed.
Old January 1, 2015, 08:50 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

Century shows leftovers from their Odds & Ends remnants.

Their marketing gal has told me twice exactly what I said above.
They have not gotten any in for quite a while & don't know if or when they will.

Whatever stocks Bud's may be selling from Century are not an infinite supply.
Century is not currently supplying other retailers, from what I understand.

That marketing exec has every reason to know accurately what Century is doing, and did mention the leftovers.

It's even more important & likely that she knows what she's talking about, because I was setting up another write-up on Mosins & looking for a source both for the hex sample she sent, and for reader demand generated by the write-up when I can get to it.

She advised me clearly twice that Century will most likely not be a large-volume source for readers to go to when the write-up does come out.
Denis
Old January 1, 2015, 09:13 PM   #13
chris in va

I hope you're not getting one they sell in the physical store, because holy cow are those smeared with cosmo.
Old January 1, 2015, 10:31 PM   #14
kilimanjaro

You can use boiling water, too. Just take the parts to your bathtub and empty the teapot over them. Use a basin to put stuff in, and and old towel to lay the barrel on and keep the tub finish from scratching.
Old January 1, 2015, 11:05 PM   #15
skizzums

another vote for boiling water, have done it on 4 guns and it worked great and it's more thorough than anything else. especially on the bolt
Old January 1, 2015, 11:13 PM   #16
tahunua001

well, if it's one of the ATI or smaller import companies, odds are it will likely be a pretty old warhorse. if it's anything like the latest century imports I've seen... it'll be an old warhorse.
Old January 2, 2015, 10:01 AM   #17
tobnpr

Quote:
Century shows leftovers from their Odds & Ends remnants.
They have some listed there.
They also have, under "Rifles Curio and Relic"- not "U-Fix-Em", or "Odd-Lots":

T-53's for $99.87
91/30's, good condition, but with cracked stock, for $119.
91/30's, arsenal refinished, for $179.

I would post the links but they are not accessible unless logged in as a Dealer.
Old January 2, 2015, 12:56 PM   #18
DPris
Member Emeritus

Again, read this- Century says they have not gotten any in for a while.

Nothing in those words says they are not now currently selling off what they do have.

Nothing in anything I've said here states Century is no longer selling ANY Mosins.

When I was arranging for the test sample sent, I was told stocks are way down & the hex was essentially hand-selected out of what they had left. I needed a superior sample for photos & they had to look for a good one.

They used to import those in volume & supply several retailers beyond their own website listings, not at the moment.

What's the problem here?
Denis
Old January 6, 2015, 07:19 PM   #19
NJgunowner

This is what it looked like out of the box from Buds. It wasn't drowning in cosmoline which is a plus, but whatever was used to touch up the stock came right off. I'll see if I can get pics of that. I really didn't use anything more than a damp rag and the touch up the did came right off it. So don't let the pictures below fool you, the stock looks pretty rough.

It was counterbored, all match numbers, bluing wasn't bad at all, rifling looks decent but I'm still cleaning the cosmoline out of it. Made in 1942.

This rifle is fair to good all in all, calling it excellent is bit of stretch on Buds part.

Last edited by NJgunowner; January 6, 2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old January 6, 2015, 10:58 PM   #20
tahunua001

gotta remember that buds has to go off of what century tells them it is. with century imports it's always a good idea to knock all of their grading down a peg. if it says excellent, it's likely very good in reality. if it says good, you're not going to like the looks of it. I ordered a M95 a while back that was V/good with possiblity of cracked stock, what arrived was missing about 30% of the finish and there was a chunk of wood missing out of the butt the size of a pingpong ball.
Old January 11, 2015, 07:23 PM   #21
Gaucho Gringo

I have my C&R and have bought 2 M-N rifles, 1 from Classic, and 1 from SOG. IMO they are both a lot nicer people to deal with than Century, which I have never bought from because their attitude rubbed me the wrong way when I first tried to buy from them. J&G Sales and Widener's are also on my short list of C&R milsurp gun vendors. All the C&R milsurp guns I have purchased from Classic, SOG, J&G Sales & Widener's were exactly as described and in many cases better than described.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old January 12, 2015, 01:02 AM   #22
tahunua001

my ATI import that I got from kentucky gun co is way nicer than anything I've gotten with a century import mark.
Old January 15, 2015, 12:23 AM   #23
Clark

I am 63 and the guy I hunt with is 64.
Every year he shoots an animal with a Mosin Nagant.
He got his first one for $7 in a barrel full of Mosins in a hardware store when he was a kid.
I have only been messing with them since 2002.
We have both made custom parts for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mosin Nagant Antelope small 2014.jpg (124.6 KB, 25 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?