The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 14, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1
38splfan

Colt Combat Commander- did I get a good deal?

Hello all,

Today I was at Cabelas on my lunch break shopping for an entry-level import 1911 (RIA, High Standard, ETC). Most of them seemed to be priced from $450 to about $600. As a personal preference, I wanted an American-made gun and told the clerk such. He suggested I check the pre-owned guns and showed me a case of Colts that were all near my price range. The best deal I saw was a Series 70 Combat Commander in satin nickel (ColtGuard). This isn't my first 1911, but my previous two have been imports so I'm not very sharp when it comes to Colt values.
The pistol has a good barrel, very nice aftermarket rosewood grips, and all the internals seem to be original. The finish is in good shape, with just a couple of spots (trigger guard and slide serrations) having worn to black. I understand this is pretty common with the ColtGuard finish. Otherwise it is a solid, serviceable, and attractive pistol.
I think I got a pretty fair deal at about $580 (gun with one original mag) out the door. Am I right?

Thanks for the help,
Johnnie T.
Old July 14, 2011, 05:23 PM   #2
grumpa72

I don't know about the satin nickel, but in my area that is a good price.
Old July 14, 2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I paid more for a gun that describes about the same. Mine didn't include the original box or papers, either. Did yours?
Old July 14, 2011, 05:32 PM   #4
WVsig

Solid deal depending on condition and function.
Old July 14, 2011, 05:42 PM   #5
SIGSHR

Not up on current prices, I bought my Satin Finish Combat Commander years ago, a great buy. Just don't do as I did, and have darker sights installed then go looking for a spare satin nickel slide.
Old July 14, 2011, 05:45 PM   #6
MC 1911

I'd give you $580.00 for it!! LOL!
Old July 14, 2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Don Glock

don't shop for guns at cabela's lol
Old July 14, 2011, 06:22 PM   #8
Billy Shears

You got a real '70 Series Colt for $580?

And you got it for that price at Cabela's?

Holy cow, my friend. Pass some of your luck this way.

Way to go.
Old July 14, 2011, 09:53 PM   #9
38splfan

Deal of the day.

Hello all,

Yes it is a real Series 70. It functionally checks out okay and will get some range time next week. No box or papers, just the gun and one mag. Still has the original bushing too, not an aftermarket job.
I think the price was what it was due to a combination of the finish wear, the lack of original paperwork, and the fact that there were probably a dozen other used Colts in the case. It's just the one that needed to move.
Sounds like I got a decent deal then. Thanks guys. Will give the range report soon.

Regards,
Johnnie T.
Old July 14, 2011, 10:39 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38splfan
Yes it is a real Series 70.
Technically, you are incorrect. What you mean is, it's a pre-Series 80. "Series 70" was Colt's designation for certain Government Model pistols with specific attributes, including the collet barrel bushing. There has never been a Series 70 Commander or Combat Commander.
Old July 14, 2011, 11:53 PM   #11
Mello2u

38splfan,

You have to post some pictures.

" Frederic Bastiat
Old July 15, 2011, 12:38 AM   #12
38splfan

Corrected.

Hello everyone.

I stand corrected. I was just reading the same thing about the "Series 70" designation vs. the "pre-series 80". I have learned something new. The intricacies of true Colt products as opposed to the copies are fascinating. I'm having a lot of fun researching this.
For those who forcefully demand the full-color glory of photographic evidence, be patient. Photos will be provided with the range report. Thanks everyone for all the info, it's been a great help.

Best to all of you,
Johnnie T.
Old July 15, 2011, 02:49 AM   #13
Sgt Pepper

Excellent find! Believe it or not, there are deals to be had at Cabela's, particularly in the gun cave, gun museum, or whatever they call it. A lot is overpriced, but there are pieces from time to time that are undervalued and sometimes haggling is in play. Less than a year ago, I picked up a SWEET '73 Colt Trooper MkIII for a little over $400 at my local Cabela's.
Old July 15, 2011, 10:09 AM   #14
jrothWA

Just one word...

LUCKY!!!
Old July 15, 2011, 10:19 AM   #15
KyJim

Quote:
What you mean is, it's a pre-Series 80.
Is this the same as a pre-Series 70?
Old July 15, 2011, 06:33 PM   #16
38splfan

KY.

Hello KyJim,

What I have read says that this is similar to the "pre-series 70" guns. The biggest indicator is the lack of a colleted bushing.
I hope everyone will pardon my ignorance as I learn the ins and outs of the Colt Cult. My first 1911 was a Citadel 1911A1 "Tactical".
Maybe some forgiveness points are in order since my taste has refined a bit?

Regards,
Johnnie T.

Last edited by 38splfan; July 15, 2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Old July 15, 2011, 06:50 PM   #17
drcook

If you go out on gunbroker and compare prices, you will see (assuming condition) that you stole it.

I have a blue Combat Commander, marked with a Series 80 serial nbr, that is actually a pre-Series 80 gun (transition model, there are some floating around).

These guns (Combat Commanders) go for 750.00 to 1000.00 or more.
Old July 15, 2011, 07:51 PM   #18
38splfan

drcook

Hello drcook,

Thanks for the info. Those were close to the numbers I had in my mind. I assumed close to $1k for a pristine model with box and papers, and maybe $750 or so without.

Best regards,
Johnnie T.
Old July 15, 2011, 08:41 PM   #19
KyJim

Okay, maybe I am showing my ignorance here. As I have always understood it, Colt introduced the collet bushing in Govt. size pistols and called them Series 70. The Commander size pistols did not use the Collet bushing. Then Colt changed to the "Mark IV Series 80" pistols. These incorporated the firing pin block (Commanders included). For several years, the Govt. size pistols retained the collet bushing and referred to as Series 80 pistols.

See: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201

Simply put, I've just never seen guns referred to as pre-Series 80 and I'm wondering if this is a term of art to designate a specific run of pistols or is the same as calling something pre-Series 70.

I have a pre-Series 70 Combat Commander (9mm). Below pic was taken to show essentially bad shooting.

I also still own a Combat Elite Mark IV Series 80 (with collet bushing):

Old July 15, 2011, 08:58 PM   #20
Jim Watson

Internet Gunboard Terminology is imprecise, unless you are getting on somebody's case about the difference between "clip" and "magazine."

"Series 70" is part of the Colt trademark for Government Models with the Accurizor collet bushing. Since Colts made between 1970 and 1983 do not have firing pin blocks, the Internet Generation has taken "Series 70" as a generic term for about anything of the 1911 pattern without a firing pin block; make and model notwithstanding.

No Colt Commander or Combat Commander was made with a factory Accurizor collet bushing* but since they did not have firing pin blocks until 1983, it has become Internet Usage to call the older 4.25" guns "Series 70" also. This is compounded by Colt having assigned serial numbers with "70" prefix to Combat Commanders as well as Government Models during that decade.

*Barsto made some Commander barrels with their own design of collet bushing. It did not work like the Colt but it worked pretty well. They quit producing it because people were yanking them off over the flared muzzle and breaking or bending the fingers.

Back to the OP.
I think $580 is a pretty good price for a real Colt.
Those satin nickel Combat Commanders (Which were very common when the model was new on the market, don't let anybody tell you they are rarities.) tend to show dirt and wear pretty badly, but it doesn't keep them from shooting. If it turns out to be a keeper, you can apply some of your savings on the purchase price to a refinish, maybe one of the applied coatings.

Last edited by Jim Watson; July 15, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old July 15, 2011, 11:06 PM   #21
38splfan

Thank You.

Hello Jim,

Thank you for clarifying the information. Knowing all of that I can now effectively describe the pistol as such:
  • 70 prefix serial number
  • standard one-piece bushing
  • satin nickel finish with aftermarket grips
  • overall condition about 80% with no functional deficiencies

Thanks again. Range report to follow.

Regards,
Johnnie T.

Tags
1911 , colt , commander