The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 17, 2015, 08:42 PM   #1276
McCarthy

Sooo.. I just got my .327 GP100 a couple month ago and love it. Should I get the new SP101? Both have the same barrel length. Would be nice to hear from somebody who owns both the GP100 and SP101 in .327.
Old April 17, 2015, 09:55 PM   #1277
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
does anyone have experience with the Charter Arms Patriot in .327? I would have to attempt to find one, but just wondering if they are decent guns or not. they seem to be in my price range, but not sure what the actual street value is since they seem difficult to find.
When the 327 1st came out Charter was the only ones to offer an option that one could say was the ultimate 327 kit.
Just about every one including Charter was offering the 327 in a 2- 3 inch barrel options.
Charter also offered the target Bull Dog with adjustable sights and a 4 inch barrel.
I wanted one real real bad. but I figured I would wait and get the 2inch version taken care of 1st.
Bad move on my part. As soon as I got ready to order mine. They were gone.

Ruger had made the attempt to up the 327 mag by releasing the GP100 and the Black Hawk versions.
They are ok guns and I want one of each.
But it was not till the release of the single 7 and now the release of the new SP101 with adjustable sights and 4 inch barrel
We are now back to what Charter gave us 1st. I could have had one for $300 at one time.
arggggg Dumb Coz Dumb Coz... Should have got it then.

Oh well... I have my Single 7 and now I have the SP101 coming. It could be said I have over compensated for my early mistake.

In the 3inch or less range. $300 ish maybe a little more. I dont think any one is still making snubbies.

The Target Bull Dog. I would go maybe $400 ish. Any higher and you might as well get the SP101. But two months ago I would have paid $500 easy.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; April 17, 2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old April 21, 2015, 08:06 PM   #1278
rclark

I joined the club today with a 5 1/2" .327 Single Seven. I got this due to the .22 Shortage and call this my reloadable .22! Joins my Baby Vaquero. Will be shooting mostly hand loaded .32 H&R Mag in it in the 1000-1100fps range. I see no need to push velocity up, as I have .357s to cover that area (if needed). I think this will do ...for the intended purpose!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 22, 2015, 08:33 AM   #1279
Real Gun

Quote:
rclark I joined the club today with a 5 1/2" .327 Single Seven. I got this due to the .22 Shortage and call this my reloadable .22! Joins my Baby Vaquero. Will be shooting mostly hand loaded .32 H&R Mag in it in the 1000-1100fps range. I see no need to push velocity up, as I have .357s to cover that area (if needed). I think this will do ...for the intended purpose!
If you don't appreciate the caliber, not expecting to shoot any, why buy the gun? Aren't there other good choices in 32 H&R Magnum? What was wrong with guns you already had for 32 H&R?

Personally, I expect the 327 to reach out in a flat trajectory, beyond what a 32 H&R can do, and without all the drama and possible flinch of the .357. The gun can hold more 32s than 357s.
Old April 22, 2015, 09:10 AM   #1280
KEYBEAR

My son bought a new Blackhawk in 327 . He has shot 75 or 80 rounds and so far not great . The cylinder pin has fell out and now the gun is locked up will not work at all . So this new Ruger is going home to be fixed .

I guess if you buy enough you will get a not so good one .
Old April 22, 2015, 09:26 AM   #1281
rclark

Quote:
If you don't appreciate the caliber, not expecting to shoot any, why buy the gun? Aren't there other good choices in 32 H&R Magnum? What was wrong with guns you already had for 32 H&R?
I only have the Baby Vaquero, but it is fixed sight. Wanted an adjustable sighted revolver too. There are no 32 H&R Magnum Ruger Single Actions being made. Nor have I run into any at gun shows have I been at the last couple of years. This revolver is the closest it comes to a factory 32 H&R Mag from Ruger. It will will fine for that purpose . BTW, I will eventually build a stock of .327 brass, and reload for it too, but probably not at the high velocities it can attain (beauty of reloading is you can load what you want). 80g lead bullets are cheap, primers are available, no longer is my .22 type plinking shooting hinging on what is available in stores. Just build my own and my wife will be able to shoot it too. That is my logic on this. Not throwing dirt on the caliber... It is what it is.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 22, 2015, 11:10 AM   #1282
Real Gun

Quote:
I guess if you buy enough you will get a not so good one .
If you buy enough, you might get one that is ready for service rather than a work in progress.
Old April 22, 2015, 03:47 PM   #1283
superspirit

Quote:
I joined the club today with a 5 1/2" .327 Single Seven. I got this due to the .22 Shortage and call this my reloadable .22! Joins my Baby Vaquero. Will be shooting mostly hand loaded .32 H&R Mag in it in the 1000-1100fps range. I see no need to push velocity up, as I have .357s to cover that area (if needed). I think this will do ...for the intended purpose!
I got one of these for my grand daughter as 22 isnt available at an affordable price here. I load 32 H&R cases with 2.5 grains of 700x and 78 grn lead bullet. cost about 7 cents a round and she plinks them just like a 22. you dont have to go balls to the wall to enjoy these guns.
Old April 22, 2015, 08:09 PM   #1284
Sevens

Agreed! I load a 71gr Winchester FMJ (made for the .32 Auto) with a charge of Bullseye and while it is quite a bit warmer than the load you describe above, it is not at all harsh and it is very low cost and a lot of fun. My daughter shoots it also.
Old April 22, 2015, 11:52 PM   #1285
FrankenMauser

Quote:
My son bought a new Blackhawk in 327 . He has shot 75 or 80 rounds and so far not great . The cylinder pin has fell out and now the gun is locked up will not work at all . So this new Ruger is going home to be fixed .
Base pins generally don't just fall out.
Someone accidentally (or intentionally, but ignorantly) pushed the release button. ....And then it was fired without being secure and bent the pin and maybe more.
Old April 23, 2015, 08:17 AM   #1286
Real Gun

Quote:
Base pins generally don't just fall out.
Someone accidentally (or intentionally, but ignorantly) pushed the release button. ....And then it was fired without being secure and bent the pin and maybe more.
My Single Seven arrived with a pin that was too long to allow the notches to engage (wrong model), so there is that possibility too.
Old April 23, 2015, 01:30 PM   #1287
A pause for the COZ

I posted this image in another thread, figured I would stick it here too.

here is the family photo of my 327's

Old May 12, 2015, 06:29 AM   #1288
Real Gun

I have the 5.5" Single Seven, and it is remarkably accurate. I would like to have a better specimen of the Single Seven though, since my loading gate has been ground to allow proper indexing of the chambers. I have asked two Gunbroker sellers of the 4 5/8 gun, supposedly corrected as the last size to be made of the three barrel lengths, if they had ammo and would verify that the chambers index on the loading gate. I am not buying anymore from afar without a seller working with me on my concerns. One has agreed to check, and the other has not yet responded.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:45 AM   #1289
weblance

I just bought my first 327 Federal Magnum revolver. Ive wanted one for a while, for several reasons. The biggest reason, my wife cant handle much recoil, and would protect herself with a 22, if I would allow that. I wont, and want her to use a centerfire. I bought a Taurus M327 off my local Armslist for $300. Its basically NIB. I have it loaded with 32 H&R Magnum, for her.

I decided I wanted to explore the potential of the 327, so I ordered a 7.5" Ruger Single Seven.

I read the first two pages of this thread. Its interesting to see what guns people wanted the 327 chambered in. A longer barreled SP101, and a Single Six. Both are available today in 327.

I would like to see Ruger chamber a 3" LCRx in 327.
Old May 16, 2015, 03:55 PM   #1290
Cosmodragoon

New Reason for .327 Rifle...

So I live in the free state of Vermont. I had some friends coming up from the slave state of NY to stay through the weekend. I was gonna take them to the range for some .327 fun. Since I'm running low and the relevant shops all close around 5pm, they volunteered to pick up the ammo on their way up. They were turned away down there. Apparently, you need a pistol permit to buy pistol ammo in NY! (The insanity of that alone took a minute to digest.) I called the shop that turned them away. The manager told me that they've been able to sell other pistol calibers because rifles have been chambered in them. Since .327 is only chambered in pistols, they can't sell it without a permit.

I know, some people will say "your friends should get a permit anyway". I suppose they should but do those people know what getting a NY permit involves?

On the other side of that imaginary line separating our states, we need no permits and manage to be vastly safer, but I suppose I'm preaching to the choir on that one... So for now, keep bugging companies to give us a .327 carbine.
Old May 16, 2015, 04:35 PM   #1291
Sevens

I would feel sick and dirty -AND- would be lying through my teeth if I ever suggested to any gunmaker that it is a ridiculous, anti-American and wholly oppressive law that spurs me to ask them for a product.

I get where you are coming from, but anyway.
On a similar note, they will sometimes ask (here in free America) if the .22LR that you are purchasing is for a handgun or rifle, as if you were to answer handgun -- you must be 21 or older to purchase... but 18 if for a rifle.
Old May 16, 2015, 08:20 PM   #1292
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Sevens wrote:

I would feel sick and dirty -AND- would be lying through my teeth if I ever suggested to any gunmaker that it is a ridiculous, anti-American and wholly oppressive law that spurs me to ask them for a product.
If that was the only reason, you'd be on to something here. This is just one more.

Of course, this kind of thing was enough to spawn the NY-compliant AR-15...
Old May 16, 2015, 08:35 PM   #1293
Sevens

Haha, touche' !

I gotta say...
I think that rifle is kinda neat. I like the ingenuity to take a proven and popular system and "dumb it down" and I think most all of us get a real kick out of the THUMB IN YOUR EYE to the powers that be.
Old May 17, 2015, 10:34 AM   #1294
Glenn E. Meyer

While denouncing NY laws is fun - let's not wander from the core of this club!

That is the wonderful 327.

How about a carbine in 327!
Old May 17, 2015, 11:16 PM   #1295
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
How about a carbine in 327!
Indeed. For the record, I'd buy at least one!
Old May 18, 2015, 08:15 PM   #1296
BillCA

I'd say a 16.25" barrel would be about perfect for a .327 Carbine. You're not going to get much more out of another 2" of barrel and the shorter barrel makes handling a light caliber rifle much nicer. Especially getting in an out of a pickup or off an ATV.
Old May 19, 2015, 07:10 PM   #1297
farmboy

Everyone seems to focus on a lever action, but a short and sweet little bolt action might be nice.

Hey Ruger! How about a 77/.327?
Old May 20, 2015, 05:15 PM   #1298
superspirit

I'd go for a 77/.327 that'd be a handy little rifle.
Old May 20, 2015, 05:53 PM   #1299
A pause for the COZ

Dont even get me started on the Carbine thing...

It drives me crazy that they will come out with some of the strangest things, almost on a whim.
But they just ignore the customers who are standing there money in hand begging for a Carbine in 327 mag.
Old May 20, 2015, 07:42 PM   #1300
Real Gun

Okay, so back to the real 327 guns, I fired 32 H&R Magnum for the first time this afternoon using my SP101 3" 327. I was impressed and thought it to be a viable, subsonic alternative, thinking of when ear protection is not practical. It was also the first time I ever fired ammo in any gun that was different than the caliber stamped on the barrel.