The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Oberg

Handloading Slugs

Does anyone handload slugs? We have to use shotguns for deer (stupid as it is not as safe and not a humane as rifles... not even on the same scale) and bullets are getting to be outrageous we are talking $6 for a box of 5 to shoot at a deer who will propli take 2 to die. So can it be done and does anyone do it? and what does it take to do?
Old October 23, 2008, 06:28 PM   #2
FireCop203

I use a Lee slug mold. It takes 1 ounce of pure lead. It can be loaded using a variety of brands of hulls using plastic wads and a regular crimp. I load mine on one of the less expensive MEC reloaders. Get a shotshell reloading manual and use that as your guide for a good powder load.
Old December 3, 2008, 10:13 PM   #3
llkanne

handload slugs

ge ballistic products catalogue. have used their a/q slugs. good accuracy. also get their slug loadig data books, uptpdate info in them. good hunting. lyle
Old December 3, 2008, 11:59 PM   #4
Loader9

I load the Barnes Saboted Solid but loading it is different than a lead slug. The shell has to be roll crimped which requires a drill press and tool to roll the plastic over and lock the sabot in place. They hit harder than the Remington solids and have amazing accuracy of under 2"groups at 100 yds out of a rifled barrel. They are amazing inaccurate out of a smooth bore and you'd be lucky to hit your truck at 100 yds. But if you're looking for cheap, the Lee is a dandy.
Old December 4, 2008, 04:05 PM   #5
crowbeaner

I'm still doing my research on loading slugs; results with the Lee 1 oz. slug have been disappointing to date. I tried some loads with the Lyman 445 grain Foster slug, and still not doing well. I may have to bite the boolit and order a sabot or wasp waisted slug mould and start over. Hunting season interrupted my reloading, and the snow may preclude anymore development until spring. The newer loads I made up are with Unique and SR4756; only shooting them will tell. If you load the Lyman foster slug, be aware that certain combinations listed in the Lyman shotshell manual will not be the right length for roll crimping, and that most loads require a roll crimp. The bit itself is around $30 from BPI or Precision Reloading; I strongly recommend the hull vise and a benchtop drill press to make good crimps. All shotgun barrels have different pet loads; what shoots well in one barrel may be abysmal in the next; you have to try several loads to see what that particular barrel likes and go from there. CB.
Old December 5, 2008, 03:11 AM   #6
snuffy

Oberg, your assessment of the lethality of shotgun slugs is way off base,(IMHO). When properly hit by a .72 caliber,(12 gauge), slug, a deer has only moments to live. I have made one shot kills numerous times with a simple foster type slug. The problem is getting a shotgun set up to be accurate. That usually means a good slug barrel with good sights or a scope.

You certainly can load slugs. As mentioned above, there's lots of options out there. BUT doing a better job than the ammo factories do, is going to be difficult and expensive. Especially if you've never loaded shotgun shells before.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 5, 2008, 11:29 PM   #7
Clark

Handloading slugs is not easy to get the high velocity and good accuracy of factory slugs.

I gave up and just bought some cases of slugs.
I have not run out yet.
Old December 6, 2008, 12:58 AM   #8
Edward429451

Whats the velocity of factory slugs, fosters?
Old December 6, 2008, 02:06 PM   #9
crowbeaner

Factory velocities vary from 1500 to 1600 FPS with 2 3/4" maximum factory slugs; the low recoil wussy loads are around 1250 to 1300 FPS. The 1 1/4 oz. magnum 2 3/4" loads are around 1450.
Old January 4, 2009, 11:24 PM   #10
Oberg

The problem with the factory slugs is that they run out of power (no more speed) at such short distances. How can you get a shotgun to have better ballistics?