The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 22, 1999, 07:29 AM   #1
Harold

Have a s&w 625 with black on black adj sights.Its very hard for my old eyes to focus quickly.I find I can get on target faster with a smith with non adj sights.Are there many choices on the market or cuctom smiths that can build a better sight ? would it be possible to adapt an auto sight such as novak or heinie or wilson [non adj type]to the s&w 625?

------------------

Old May 23, 1999, 01:34 AM   #2
fubsy

A fairly inexpensive fix is to have a gunsmith put an orange insert in the blade.. of the front sight.....fubsy.
Old May 23, 1999, 09:12 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Harold, I agree with fusby. You'd be hard pressed to find a sight that gives a better sight picture than the Smith & Wesson adj. I put this inserts in the front sights for $25 and I'm sure that your local smith would do it for a similar price. George
Old May 23, 1999, 01:46 PM   #4
ArizonaMorgan

Putting a front sight from an auto wouldn't be that difficult, but putting a rear sight from an auto on a revolver would be pretty hard. There are a few ways to do it, but I'm not sure if anyone out there would do it.
Old May 24, 1999, 07:18 AM   #5
Rosco Benson

In the current issue of Combat Handguns magazine, Walt Rauch's column contains a review of a S&W 686 customized by Cylinder and Slide. This revolver is fitted with a fixed rear sight which mounts in place of the S&W adjustable and offers a more snag-free and rugged rear sight. A dovetailed front sight has been installed to permit windage adjustments (elevation adjustments would be accomplished by choosing the proper height front sight). This may be just what you're looking for. Cylinder and Slide has a website (www.cylinder-slide.com, I think).

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited May 24, 1999).]
Old May 26, 1999, 05:52 AM   #6
Tom B

Meprolite makes a night sight for S&W revolvers which give a much better sight picture than the stock sights. I have used them and you can easily install them yourself.