The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 7, 2016, 06:06 AM   #1
BC Buck

Need electronic ear muffs.

Would like to get a quality electronic set of muffs. Buddy told me he got rid of his because they kept picking up CB chatter from truckers while at range. Dont want to deal with that but would be nice to hear what people are saying with out removing muffs all the time. Range is close to interstate 44 with plenty of truckers.
Old October 7, 2016, 07:05 AM   #2
burrhead

Your buddy's full of horse feathers. As to muffs, I like Howard Light Impact Sports. Pretty inexpensive and work well.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old October 7, 2016, 08:26 AM   #3
Ernest T

I've got a set of Howard Leight Impact Pro muffs. They work very well. You can carry on a conversation then shoot without making any adjustments. For my loudest guns I wear foam hearing protectors under these, and can still carry on conversations. These muffs have one of the best NRR ratings of 30 db that you can find on sub $300 muffs. I have some hearing loss from years of shooting, so I take hearing protection seriously.

My only complaint with this set is that it is a little bulky, and you may bump the stock of your rifle with them depending on your holding technique. I've adjusted my hold over time. The Howard Leight Sport model mentioned above is much thinner, but only gives you 22 db NRR, so there is always a trade off.

You want more NRR indoors. I think the recommendation is 28-33 db for indoor handgun ranges, so the pro set makes a great set of muffs for indoor ranges. The sport model would be better for smaller caliber guns or outdoor shooting.

Last edited by Ernest T; October 7, 2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old October 7, 2016, 09:00 AM   #4
reinert

I use the Howard Leight Impact Sports model, along with the standard foam plugs. I do some long range, B.P.C.R. gong shoots in the summer, and the H.L. Impact Sports muffs have a slimmer profile allowing you to get on the gun better while competing (lots of BIG boomers splashing iron). By turning the volume on the muffs up a bit, I can hear the score keeper just fine even while using the foam plugs, too. I see a lot of that model being used these days at the shoots, and I believe the slimmer profile has a lot to do with that; I know it does for me.

Shopping a bit, you can get the Howard Leight Impact Sports model for under 50 bucks.
Old October 8, 2016, 02:51 AM   #5
chris in va

Whatever you get, be sure it has a compression circuit so normal conversation doesn't get cut off.
Old October 8, 2016, 11:41 AM   #6
straight-shooter

Howard Leight muffs use clipping technology. I have a pair and while they work very well they do cut off conversation when a gun fires. To circumvent this I ended up getting a pair of Peltor Tactical Sports that use compression technology and they will not cut off conversation while gun fire is happening.

Also I noticed the Peltor's seal against my head much better and offer a quieter experience at the range. A little more dough but to me well worth it. I ordered them from Home Depot online and they arrived the next day with free shipping.

Peltor Tactical Sports - Home Depot
Old October 8, 2016, 11:56 AM   #7
Independent George

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Buck View Post
Would like to get a quality electronic set of muffs. Buddy told me he got rid of his because they kept picking up CB chatter from truckers while at range. Dont want to deal with that but would be nice to hear what people are saying with out removing muffs all the time. Range is close to interstate 44 with plenty of truckers.
Electronic muffs don't work that way. They're microphones, not radios; they pick up audio within a certain range of volume and frequency (like voices) while cutting out anything from outside that range (like gunshots).

I've tried out three different models; all work but have their own quirks.

The 3M Peltor Tactical had the best electronics and folded up nicely, but the worst ear cups in terms of both comfort and sound dampening.

The ProEars Pro 300 were the most comfortable to wear and blocked sound the best, but also the worst electronics; there's a lot of distortion and voices aren't always clear. It also doesn't fold very well, and the stupid switches can get turned on by accident very easily.

The Peltor Sound Trap has the best microphone, but isn't very comfortable and the behind-the-ears model I have slips and falls down every time I move my head.

Of those three, I'd say the 3M Peltor Tactical Sport is the best overall, but it's not perfect.

Last edited by Independent George; October 8, 2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old October 8, 2016, 12:58 PM   #8
straight-shooter

Quote:
Of those three, I'd say the 3M Peltor Tactical Sport is the best overall, but it's not perfect.
There is the option to purchase the Peltor Gel Cups for maximum comfort but so far I haven't felt the need to upgrade. The biggest variance is the shape of each individuals melon which would make it virtually impossible for every manufacture to make a set of headsets to fit. The Peltors have came the closest for me.
Old October 8, 2016, 03:37 PM   #9
`Bama_Mike

Walker's Razor is what I have. Got them at a national sports chain store for $59.00. I can't believe I didn't buy these a lot earlier on. Won't go without them again.
Old October 9, 2016, 01:06 PM   #10
BC Buck

ndependent George

Quote:

Electronic muffs don't work that way. They're microphones, not radios; they pick up audio within a certain range of volume and frequency (like voices) while cutting out anything from outside that range (like gunshots).

Im just repeating what he told me. I dont know what brand he had but this was about 5 years ago. Said it was hard to concentrate shooting when all the sudden your hearing 10:4 good buddy. But going to look at Howard and pelton. Thanks
Old October 9, 2016, 03:00 PM   #11
AzShooter

Another fan of Howard Leights.
Old October 17, 2016, 11:59 AM   #12
MislMan

Those Peltor sports model in the link only have a NRR of 20. Not enough protection in my view.
Old October 17, 2016, 12:22 PM   #13
FITASC

I have Peltors with a decent rating, but I believe the Walker's (game ears) are one of the best - not cheap, but your lost hearing can't be replaced
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 17, 2016, 01:21 PM   #14
Reloadron

Need electronic ear muffs?

Need, no but a nice to have would be a yes. I have and use the Howard Leight muffs and they work fine and have served me fine. Then too at my age my hearing is not what it once was. I have mastered tuning out some certain sounds like my wife's voice. Selective tuning I figure is what it is.

Ron
Old October 17, 2016, 02:51 PM   #15
AzShooter

I found an older pair of ProEars. They just needed new batteries. I forgot how good these are.

I could hear my hits on steel much better and conversations clearer.

Expensive compared to my Howard Leights but worth every penny.