The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 2, 2011, 08:27 PM   #1
kraigwy

We Did it.

Wyoming govenor signed the Constitution Carry law.

Quote:
Governor Mead signed Constitutional Carry into law while saying his office had been clogged with emails and phone calls from people demanding he sign the Jennings-Jaggi Constitutional Carry bill.
E-mails, phone calls and letters work folks, DON'T LET UP.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 2, 2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Sodbuster

Great news, thanks for the heads up, Kraig. BTW I'm hanging out in the Greybull area for awhile. With a WY driver's license.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old March 2, 2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Well done, good people of Wyoming!
Old March 2, 2011, 09:43 PM   #4
csmsss

Congrats! Count yourself among the lucky whose state government has the good sense to treat its citizens like, well...citizens and not subjects.
Old March 2, 2011, 10:23 PM   #5
jmortimer

Another great State to add to the list of best States for the RKBA. Good for you all.
Old March 2, 2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Good work, guys. You've earned it.
Old March 2, 2011, 11:20 PM   #7
TXAZ

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 2, 2011, 11:49 PM   #8
Davey

Sweetness.
Old March 3, 2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Gary L. Griffiths

Four down.

Forty-six to go!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old March 3, 2011, 12:54 PM   #10
FTG-05

Old March 3, 2011, 01:00 PM   #11
orangello

Congratulations!
Old March 3, 2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

What was the newspaper coverage like in the run up to this?

I'm wondering specifically about the newspapers serving those areas that overrun with tourists like Jackson Hole.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 3, 2011, 01:06 PM   #13
4runnerman

Congrats
Old March 3, 2011, 01:44 PM   #14
kraigwy

I don't know about Jackson Hole, I'm on the other side of the state, but around here, if you were against the Constitional Carry law you were considered some type of commie. Those against pretty much kept their mouth's shut if fear of being run out of town.

Wyomingnites are funny creatures.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 3, 2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Sodbuster

Mike, I lived in Jackson from 1994 to 2002. Took my Wyoming CCW class there. It was put on by the Jackson PD and Teton County sheriff's office. Both departments, from the chief and sheriff on down, were huge proponents of CCW. as were the local citizenry and the newspapers. I doubt much has changed. They even offered an advanced (non-required) class which I took that was highly scenario based. BTW Gov Mead is from Jackson, his granddad having been governor and US senator (Cliff Hansen). Their family are original homesteaders in the valley, still own a generational ranch there. Good people.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old March 9, 2011, 07:12 PM   #16
JIMSPD9

Just what does the constitutional carry law allow or disallow? We here in Mississippi need some revamping of our laws.

Jim S.
Old March 9, 2011, 07:33 PM   #17
Bernie Lomax

Idaho, Montana, Utah, Colorado have bills in the legislature right now that would legalize Constitutional carry.

Back when Arizona passed Constitutional carry, I predicted that most states in the mountain west would soon follow suit, and that the next one after us would be either Montana or New Mexico. Looks like I might've been half right.
Old March 11, 2011, 04:20 PM   #18
ipscchef

Congratulations!

Congratulations to WY. My Brother in Law and Sis' live in Buffalo, great state,
nice people, beautiful scenery. And, a responsive government!!
Whats not to like!!
Willy
Old March 11, 2011, 05:48 PM   #19
frick74

I have spent a bit of time in Montana, and its heartening to see traditional values actually put on display in the west.

Its a different world out there, compared to some states in this Union, sometimes, I think perhaps the only hope for the entire country to survive.
Old March 11, 2011, 06:00 PM   #20
USAFNoDak

Trumpet that news far and wide, with great amplification and fanfare. It will help keep the liberals escaping from the nightmare called California from heading to Wyoming. If they know that the people of Wyoming are free to carry guns, the California libs won't want to stay there. As for conservative Californians who appreciate the 2nd Amendment, I hope they're welcomed with open arms and openly carried arms.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old March 11, 2011, 07:54 PM   #21
Bluehighways

Congratulations Wyoming! You are the envy of Wisconsin right now. We here in the frozen lands are pushing and pushing for Constitutional Carry. We have many obstacles yet to overcome. Our former governor Doyle is no longer a veto threat, now we have to hold the Republicans we voted in to what they campaigned on: Smaller government.

If they try to implement a permit system it will create another government bureaucracy, red tape, fees, licensing, registration, expensive classes, bigger government and increased cost for an already cash-strapped state population, along with the insult of asking permission and paying fees to exercise a God-given and constitutional right.

Hats off to the people of Wyoming, the 4th state in the Union to think clearly.
Too bad I live in one of the two retard (holdout) states. For Wisconsin, there may be hope. For Illinois, not so much.

Final thought, my wife is a Wyoming girl. Maybe that's why she's such a keeper!
Old March 11, 2011, 08:27 PM   #22
Kreyzhorse

Awesome. Another state down and I predict more to follow... well you know, unless blood runs in the streets like it did when Florida passed it's CCW law all those years ago.
Old March 16, 2011, 11:33 AM   #23
Doodlebugger45

The newspaper coverage was pretty fair overall. I travel around a good bit and from what I saw all the small town newspapers were either solidly in support of it, or else they were neutral and simply reported the facts. The Casper newspaper is kind of a liberal bunch and they had some slightly negative editorial comments about it. And there were a bunch of the idiotic letters to the editor in that paper written by the small but vocal liberal minority who always write letters to that paper.

Jackson is kind of an odd place in some respects. Yeah, there are a bunch of transplants living there and some of them have some pretty liberal wacko ideas. But for some issues like this one, they come down on the side of common sense. I think there are more liberals in the Laramie area than any other place in the state. Something about that college town mentality even at UW.

To me the most discouraging comments came during testimony in the Senate hearings. They had a couple police chiefs who predicted dire consequences about the new law. One of them was the Casper chief. Casper and Cheyenne are the only places that pass for big cities here. It was disappointing to hear him talk about the average citizen being a danger by carrying a concealed weapon. The testimony didn't seem to sway any votes, but it was rather disappointing anyway. Since I'm not a cop and never have been, I will refrain from making a judgement. Just kind of sad to see that attitude though.

All in all though it is a great sign. As mentioned, we should continually bring up experiences after the law is enacted that point out the positives of this practice. Unless of course we are all shot dead July 1 by crazed loonies carrying concealed weapons.
Old March 16, 2011, 02:27 PM   #24
thallub

Well done.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:36 AM   #25
Maleman

Congratulations.