The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 14, 2010, 07:34 PM   #1
beex215

diy snap caps

this is by no means better than the store bought ones or the ones you already made. this is just something we can all do without buying the off hand items for the quick dry firing itch. you most likely already have them.

a bullet casing that has the primer. all you do is find something flat that fits in the little hole on the inside of the primer. hammer the outside until its flat

shot once

shot twice after the first.

do step one again til flat.

ive been doing this on the same primer for about 30 shots so far. the contact point is still strong and does not give with ease, so its still protecting the pin. i know its not the best method but its something we can all do. for fun i guess

SORRY ABOUT THE LARGE IMAGES. probably a good thing so you can see.
Old December 15, 2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Lee-Enfield

That's a good plan for a quick and cheap snap-cap, but flattening the primer must be a pain!

I've heard somewhere that a small eraser like the type mechanical pencils use can be cut and fit into the primer pocket of a spent shell. This way you won't need to hammer out a metal primer all the time.

I have some store bought snap-caps and they have some sort of silicone primer to achieve the same thing.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:26 AM   #3
grumpa72

Imo, a better version of the homemade snap cap is to punch the primer out and fill the hole with hot glue from a glue gun. That way you have something that will take the firing pin strike without issue. In addition, if the rubbery glue ever dries out or breaks up it is easily replaced. The other thing I do is to paint the base and bullet of the homemade snap cap with red nail polish and I use aluminum cases. That way, I have two visual indicators that I have something different in the magazine.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:41 AM   #4
mikejonestkd

A zoom caps are like $2.00 each or so, what the incentive/ reward for making your own?
Old December 15, 2010, 12:25 PM   #5
beex215

i already said its for a quick dry fire and most likely everyone could do this them selves. 2 hits at most and no shipping time
Old December 15, 2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Jimbo-Indy

Another idea is to remove the primer and fill the primer pocket with silicone caulking. Make a bunch for all your calibers. Easy, cheap and lasts a long time. If it wears out, make some more.
For practicing gun clearing, seat a bullet, without powder. Recommend you paint them some bright color so you know they are dummy rounds. At the range, load 1 or 2 randomly in a mag. Great training aid.
Old December 15, 2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Lee-Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejonestkd View Post
A zoom caps are like $2.00 each or so, what the incentive/ reward for making your own?
In oz (where most things gun related is expensive) snap-caps cost $15 for two, sometimes more. Cheap US stores like Midway don't ship here either. :-(
Old December 15, 2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
For $2 a pop times anywhere from 7-19 rounds adds up if you prefer to fill your magazine with them.

I prefer seating a bullet in a sized case without a primer and fill the primer pocket with red RTV. Easier on the firing pin and a visual indicator it's a dummy round as well....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 15, 2010, 11:49 PM   #9
Ideal Tool

Hello, I make mine by press-fitting nylon rod into pocket & facing off flush..need a lathe for best job. Why make when you can buy?? Have you ever tried to find a .236 Winchester-Lee navy?