The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2009, 06:33 PM   #1
squeak003

what sling and why

what sling do u use on your hunting shot gun and why did u choose it?
Old May 16, 2009, 06:53 PM   #2
oneounceload

What type of hunting are you talking about? I do not have a sling on any hunting shotguns, nor do i see a need to have one
Old May 16, 2009, 07:05 PM   #3
inSight-NEO

It funny how I spent a small fortune (and quite a bit of worry) on various sling mounts and slings. Of course, I bought my various mounts and slings in regards to 1-point as well as 2-point carry. Yet, in the end, I hardly use any of them.

I never keep a sling on my HD shotgun, well...when at home or at the range (unless required to do so by range officials). But, this does not really relate to the topic of "hunting" shotguns so I wont go into the specifics regarding this decision.

Quote:
I do not have a sling on any hunting shotguns, nor do i see a need to have one.
However, having a sling is nice and certainly useful at times such as when needing to secure a long gun for crossing rough terrain (in my case, traversing such terrain on an ATV), when carrying multiple weapons,...basically anytime you anticipate encountering the need to remain hands free and it would either be unsafe or impractical to lay the weapon down (based on location).
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; May 16, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old May 16, 2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Pahoo

Years ago, in Greece and Italy, I observed men riding bicycles and motor scooters with shotguns that had slings. Back then, Americans didn't sling many rifles let alone a shotgun. I use a sling on my slug gun when hunting deer but not on upland shooting. I feel they would only get in the way on upland shooting. I know of waterfowl hunters that use slings. Why use them?? I suppose for the same reason you sling a rifle, they are handy. I just use a nylon, well padded camo sling. Nothing fancy ...

Be Safe !!!
Old May 16, 2009, 08:17 PM   #5
RoscoeC

I have tried all sorts of stuff, but I prefer a plain 1" or 1 1/4" leather strap.

Like this one:
http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/pr...51/prodid/8448

I do like a sling on my hunting shotguns and rifles. I usually carry a backpack and a slung weapon is easier to manage when hiking. I like to have my hands free, especially in rough terrain.
NRA Life Member
Old May 16, 2009, 09:46 PM   #6
squeak003

i mainly hunt for deer. there are times i walk almost a mile to one of my blinds through the woods and there are times i ride a 4 wheeler to other blinds
Old May 16, 2009, 09:49 PM   #7
rantingredneck

I use a simple light weight nylon 1" sling that's easy to adjust with one hand. All my hunting shotguns have slings. I've never had a problem with them getting in my way and when you cover a lot of ground on foot in a day they really help.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old May 16, 2009, 10:09 PM   #8
zippy13

For an infrequent hands-free carry, I keep my slingless gun in a cloth case and use the case's sling.
Old May 21, 2009, 06:56 PM   #9
James R. Burke

I am pretty much like Oneounceload. No sling on any shotgun. Not saying you should not get one, but for the type hunting myself, and wife do it would not work. We hunt mainly grouse they come up fast, and close. You need to be on them and get on the trigger fast.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:48 PM   #10
Doyle

Generic model from Wallyworld. It works, doesn't cost a lot, and I won't cry if it gets wet or muddy.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:56 PM   #11
oneounceload

I'll clarify, as I am an upland hunter, so considering turkey, waterfowl and deer folks was not in my thoughts - sorry. My shotguns are all target or upland oriented; a sling would be a hindrance, not an asset...
Old May 22, 2009, 07:30 AM   #12
rantingredneck

I do a little of both, but my birding is mostly dove these days. Quail many years ago, but not much of it. When dove hunting it doesn't bother me, but isn't really required either once I get to the field. Depending on where I'm hunting though, I may have to park some distance from where I'm going to set up. Then carrying shotgun, shells, stool, water, etc..... A sling can help.

Most of my hunting with shotguns is deer with turkey following second. Lots of walking to get where you're going. Lots of walking setting up and doing man-drives for deer. A sling really comes in handy there, especially when I'm the one shoulder deep in the briar thicket .

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old May 22, 2009, 07:53 AM   #13
rjheff

I was thinking of adding a sling to my model 97. Then someone said, well, what about that exposed hammer that could get snagged on anything. I abandoned the sling thought regarding the 97. I do use them for my turkey and rifled barrel Mossy though.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:43 PM   #14
wea5el

I'm similar to all the above upland hunters and prefer no sling. However, trying to carry a injured bird dog and a shotgun from a field or the mountains can be challenging.

I now always carry 'The Outdoor Connection Brown Bag Sling'. It fits in the game vest pocket and can be slipped on and off in an instance. I added a small carabiner and it doubles as an emergency leash for the dog. I even practice releasing Conibear Traps using the sling to compress the springs in the event the dog gets trapped while hunting the bottom lands. I try to minimize items in the vest but adapt them for multi-uses.

Brown Bag Sling