The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 29, 2006, 10:27 AM   #1
VMUTH

Which ar upper??

Morning gentlemen. Need your opinion on an ar upper for coyote hunting. I currently have a RRA 20' bull barrel upper for the more long range need and it's pretty heavy to hike around with. (About 10-11 pounds.) I have a pencil barrel 16' for the close stuff with a red dot.

Was wondering what you guys would suggest as an alternative for the 20' RRA varminter. I was kicking around the idea of a 20' or 18' fluted upper as a replacement. My primary concerns are weight and the need for accuracy for 100+ yards.

Thanks
Old October 29, 2006, 10:39 AM   #2
kwkoch

i have a standard colt hbar and i get MOA out to 300-400 yards, its a flattop of course with a 6-18x50. does a number on yotes 500 yards and closer.
Old October 29, 2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If your light barrel will hold 1 MOA to 1.5 MOA, it oughta be plenty good for coyotes to 200 yards, anyhow. I've no idea how a red dot will do out at 200; never used one. But, even an inexpensive 4X will work just fine to 200. I guess I'd sight in for about an inch or sohigh at 100, which is close to dead on at 200. Near as makes no nevermind, anyhow.

I've had few "Hey, I saw a coyote!" shots beyond a couple of hundred yards. Most of my shots were at maybe a hundred or so.

When I've called coyotes, I don't recall ever needing to shoot beyond 100 yards, even in daylight. Usually, it was within twenty to forty yards.

Art
Old October 29, 2006, 01:18 PM   #4
Powderman

I have an Armalite 20" HBAR upper, A4 configuration, that holds 1/2 MOA all day long. It's chrome lined, and I have put a 6.5-20 Simmons Whitetail on it with great results. Get the Armalite scope mount, too--no need for risers, and it sits perfectly on that flattop.

The Simmons is on sale right now for 90 bucks from SWFA.
Old October 29, 2006, 01:53 PM   #5
ITEOTWAWKI

Two questions, first, where is that simmons whitetail scope on sale for $90? I was looking at one at midway but the sale ran out.

And secondly, what do you actually do with the coyote? I'd figure you don't eat it, and I can't imagine anyone wanting any other part of one. I've been wanting to hunt a couple but I've just not been sure what to do with them after I've got em.

As for the upper, a standard '20 A3 sounds like it would be the ticket. They're not nearly as heavy as the floated bulls and they balance reasonably well with a collapsing stock.
Old October 29, 2006, 02:00 PM   #6
kwkoch

you can sell the hides if you so choose. i had my last one made into a rug by the local taxidermist.
Old October 29, 2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Powderman

My mistake--it's 100.00 instead of 90.

http://www.swfa.com/c-252-simmons-wh...le-scopes.aspx
Old October 29, 2006, 04:27 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I cut the tail off Ol' Wily, skin it out and salt it, and nail it to a front-porch post. The rest goes to the buzzards and ants.

Art
Old October 29, 2006, 07:44 PM   #9
ITEOTWAWKI

So is it 'immoral' to shoot them and leave them to be reclaimed? I wouldn't mind doing it one bit, it just seems kinda wrong when there's so many people who so firmly believe in not killing anything you don't wanna eat. Also, is it the kind of thing you'd need a license for or can you just go out in the hills and plink some yotes?
Old October 29, 2006, 08:12 PM   #10
kwkoch

check your local state regs but most states the yotes are so overpopulated that the season is open all year. indiana has a season and there is no daily bag limit but there is a clause that if you have the land owners permission you can hunt them at any time of year. and as far as leaving them lay i know what you mean but varmints are a different story--im sure you can eat them let us know how they taste.
Old October 30, 2006, 09:55 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In sheep and goat country, the only good coyote is a dead coyote.

I like to hear the yodel dogs sing, but we have an ongoing argument about who eats the quail.

Art