The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 19, 2002, 02:53 PM   #1
Oakleaf

High Seats/ Ladder Stands

Couldn't see this covered elsewhere.

Looking for some high seats for a patch of ground we have.

Particularly interested in the Warren and Sweat Eagle model at Cabelas - looks sturdy etc.

They can ship it half way round the world to me and even after 17.5% VAT and import duty it still runs about 30% cheaper than an inferior ( looking ) unit bought over here!

Anyone used this model? Anyone used/ have another model from Cabelas or elsewhere ( that ships to the UK ) that they recommend?

Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
Old March 19, 2002, 03:41 PM   #2
leadbutt

Oakleaf, i use two of the 20' high stands that come with the double rail hand hold, and have had no problem with them, i did attach a extra strap to helped stabilize it.
Old March 19, 2002, 04:06 PM   #3
Oakleaf

LB

Thanks for the info.

The Model I noted has the double rail - certainly from the picture it looked a good design.

Be interesting to see how cabelas/ UPS wrap the thing!
Old March 19, 2002, 04:32 PM   #4
leadbutt

Hey oakleaf,a question for you,haveing read about the hunting there,i was under the impression it was all spot and stalk, are you going to use them for Stag? what kind of equipment will you use? bow? rifle?
Old March 21, 2002, 05:05 AM   #5
Oakleaf

LB

Despite the English tradion, bows are outlawed here for taking any animals.

The traditional image of Stalking here is the hill stag etc. We do that, but in addition we have thousands of acres of commercial forestry.

I have a share in the deer lease on 3000 acres of one such area in SW Scotland.

The ground holds mostly Roe, but also some Red. Forestry stalking tends to be a combination of movement and still hunting.
The High seats are for strategic points - over looking ride junctions or clearings etc. The ground is hard to cover silently, so often a good idea ( once you establish the hot spots ) to let them come to you.

Refer to other posts for my specific tools of the trade - but in the UK use of a rifle is mandatory - with minimum bore/ calibre sizes and velocity/ energy stipulated.
Old March 23, 2002, 03:12 PM   #6
Oakleaf

May I have another bite at the cherry?

Just returned from a late season foray on Roe Does ( obscenely late I know ). In any event drew a blank.

Whilst on the ground it struck me that there are very few trees big enough - a. to take a 12-16' lean to and b. large enough to support fatso here perched on top. I had an image of Wylie Coyote being catapulted from his Acme tree stand!

Also noted several ride intersections that would be difficult to cover - unless a free standing seat was used.

Obviously no prizes for Oakleaf in the smarts department on this one.

Rechecking Cabelas shows a 10ft Tripod stand - close to half the price of the ladder. Seat and support look iffy - but a decent rail system wouldn't be a problem -

hence may I repeat the initial question - but direct it to these tripod units.
Old April 8, 2002, 08:04 AM   #7
Oakleaf

Well the Cabelas 10 foot tripod model arrived today... in the same box as a couple of shirts, trousers and spare Coleman Mantles!! Amazingly everything appeared to survive - but a real question mark over packing quality control ( or common sense).

Thing took awhile to put together as the instructions are sparse. Foot platform looked big in hand - not quite so large when perching on it 10 feet up!

The swivel chair is a very useful function - though the seat back is very poorly designed - too low and no matter how tight you do the bolts, it will give way if leaned upon - potentially dangerous. Still easy to fix.

Quality was OK - certainly on a par with the UK seats at three times the price. Will need substantial dis-assembly to transport it - but it will be staying put for a while once in place.

Next step is the respray, treat the inside, adapt the seat and slightly extend the platform.

For the price - a good buy - we'll see about longevity.
Old April 8, 2002, 08:32 AM   #8
leadbutt

Oakleaaf,have never used the tripod stands,hope they work for you, I did have a e-mail site that would sell different plans for stands , guy keeps saying if you can weld you can build,I'll try and find the site again and pass it along
Old April 8, 2002, 08:50 PM   #9
riddleofsteel

One of my favorite stands is over 25 years old and unfortunately, no longer made. It is called an Ambusher. It is made of square and round thick wall steel tubing. The top section folds and has a rail and cloth blind to cut the wind built in. The best description I can convey is it looks like a "cherry picker" bucket like utility guys work on the lines with sitting in a tree. The top section sits on a 14' three piece, ladder that is made of a single square tubing with alternating ladder rungs welded to it and a wide foot on the bottom that bites the ground. With the entire stand assembled you walk it up to the tree and slam it hard so the primary spikes dig into the tree trunk. At the top is a unique set of clamping jaws with very heavy duty, sharp teeth. A rope is passed around the jaws several times and when you pull down on the rope it will clamp a tree hard enough that no other straps or chains are needed.
I have sat many of the more "modern" ladder stands and not one hold a candle to the rock solid set of the Ambusher. I have mouted this stand on trees not much bigger than my arm with great results. I will try to post a picture of it soon.
Old April 10, 2002, 07:22 PM   #10
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I haven't used a Warren & Sweat ladder stand. However, I do have a Warren & Sweat heavy duty climbing stand that has reliably held my large carcass safely for several years now with no sign of deterioration. The only metal ladder stand I use is a no namer I bought somewhere. It's held up good too. It's about a 12 footer and it really doesn't take a very large tree to be secure.