The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 19, 2000, 03:19 AM   #1
TCW

I'm going to purchase a short defense barrel for my Wingmaster. I can't afford to put ghostring sights on it, but I was wondering if there was a good alternative. Are some sight systems better than others for a HD SG? Should I just save for the ghostring system? I have a choice of buying a reminton barrel w/ rifle sights or a plain barrel and adding sights later. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old December 19, 2000, 05:41 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ghost ring sights are nice, but if I didn't hunt with my 870s, they might just have beads. I've done good work with just a bead, including a possible on my old duty qualifier.

Since slugs are not a good choice for HD, rifle sights or GRs(I'm coming to loathe that name) are optional. HD shotguns are aimed, but they can be aimed nicely with a bead and a good cheek weld.

And, a short bbled,bead sighted 870 does a very good imitation of a quail gun.
Old December 19, 2000, 06:05 AM   #3
Jager1

Either is a good choice

That being said, I prefer the rifle sights. Outside of bird/small game hunting, I have little use for a bead sight. Both of my Wingmasters are equipped with rifle sights and they have spoiled me.

The ghost ring sights are useful also, but I wonder about how they might function in low light situations. For my practical purposes, rifle sights are all I could ever ask for. They allow me to lob those slugs and buckshot with more accuracy than a bead sight ever could.

If affordability is the issue, just get a rifle sight equipped barrel and upgrade later.

Aren't these dilemmas fun?

Old December 23, 2000, 10:58 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Jager,peep sights work very, very well in low light, the big aperture is excellent at "Gathering" light.

One advantage of a peep vs rifle sights, the longer sight radius of the peep does wonders for accuracy.