The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2014, 10:28 AM   #1
subhuman

blackhawk serpa

I have had my Serpa2 sportster for a couple of months now and realy like it. before it i just carried my glock in a cheap wal-mart belt clip and hated the the thing. After wearing the serpa a few days i just plain forgot i was carrying unless i bump something, the paddle fit my hipmand the pistol is just weightless and carries high enough that my t-shirt keeps it well hid.
I was wondering how many of you carry OWB paddle holster and conceal and how they compare with the Serpa, also recomendations on somthing a litlle better that you may use maybe in the $100 range. I do like the button release a lot on the Serpa but can live with a good retintion holster.
Old February 16, 2014, 12:04 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

7TS, GLS.....

I have a SERPA holster for the M&P pistol. I agree it feels lightweight & is secure. Some trainers & armed professionals knock the SERPAs but I've never had any issues with them. I paid $25.00 for my holster in 12/2011 & it's done well.
If the SERPA isn't ideal, Id look at the new 7TS holster from Safariland, www.Safariland.com . It has a new polymer blend the firm says reduces scuffs, nicks, wear, etc. The holster is fast, secure & can be converted to different styles of carry(strong side, cross draw, paddle, etc). These 7TS holsters come in black or FDE(flat dark earth). The new Safariland GLS has merit too but I like the 7TS line slightly more. They retail for about $36.00 USD in most LE catalogs.

Another leather holster to consider is the well made Wright Leather Works Predator. It has a front band to aid re-holstering & a side body-shield to protect the weapon from damage. It sells for about $78.00 which is decent for a custom type holster. Note; the Predator holster may take several weeks to get due to high demand. I'd suggest checking with a custom shop or retail site before you pay any $$$. Some gun owners get annoyed when custom shops take a long time but many of these firms have only 1-5 employees & are processing 1000s of orders.

Clyde
www.policehq.com www.wrightleatherworks.com www.natchezss.com www.galls.com www.midwayusa.com www.blackhawk.com
Old February 16, 2014, 01:25 PM   #3
subhuman

im not knocking the serpa at all , i love mine i was kinda wondering about its long term quality because its fairly low priced but if it fails for some reason just wondering if anybody offers anything with an advantage over the serpa or just buy another one for $25
Old February 16, 2014, 01:47 PM   #4
subhuman

just read up on the 7TS , i will keep my eyes open for one around my local gun shops and try one out, thanks Clyde
Old February 16, 2014, 02:04 PM   #5
4thPoint

I'll have to do some reading on the 7TS, this is the first time I've come across it. I had a SERPA and upgraded to a Safariland 6378 for about $10 more (if you shop online.)

Two small advantages over the SERPA are the very inconspicuous thumb button (on the inside of the holster, almost impossible to miss with even a halfa***d draw) and the fact that it won't lock up like a SERPA if you happen to pull before hitting the release.