The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 11, 2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Clevinger

Bell and Carlson Stocks

Any impressions of them good or bad?
Old February 11, 2014, 10:57 PM   #2
taylorce1

Good stocks, not as good as some of the others but more affordable. They are a little thick in the wrist and forearm with the full length bedding blocks.

Here is a comparison of two M70's a .30-06 FWT in tan McMillan Hunters Compact vs. .270 Extreme Weather in black B&C factory stock.

Old February 11, 2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Clevinger

Do they have that hollow, cheap feeling like some plastic stocks or are the solid and well balanced?
Old February 11, 2014, 11:37 PM   #4
john843

Clevinger, I've got a Mod. 70 PF long action .243 in a B&C Medalist. It defintely does not have that cheap hollow feel and sound you're describing. Very solid throughout with a great grippiness and sort of a "warm" feel to it. I've got the black with gray webbing and I believe the webbing contibutes to the grippy feel. As Taylorce1 said, if theres a drawback it is that the wrist and the forearm just forward of the floorplate is a little full for a lot of peoples liking, and while there is some weight saving, it's not nearly as noticable as say a Micky with edge fill.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:45 PM   #5
Clevinger

Taylorce1, thanks for the photos by the way. Very helpful.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:46 PM   #6
john843

Taylorce1, that 30-06 with the tan stock, black tg and scope and rings is gorgeous. Really sets it off nicely.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:55 PM   #7
Clevinger

Quote:
It defintely does not have that cheap hollow feel and sound you're describing. Very solid throughout with a great grippiness and sort of a "warm" feel to it. I've got the black with gray webbing and I believe the webbing contibutes to the grippy feel.
That's more what I am looking for.
Old February 12, 2014, 08:03 AM   #8
ndking1126

I have a Medalist and agree, it's a great stock for the price. It does not have a cheap feel about it. It's solid and well balanced. I don't find the recoil pad to be great.. functional but not great.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with one.
Old February 12, 2014, 09:41 AM   #9
jmr40

What rifle?

If someone is looking to put a heavy stock on a tactical or varmint rig they are a good choice. They use the same construction as the more expensive HS Precision stocks and are every bit as good for at least $100 less.

The problem is that construction. The better made stocks use epoxy to laminate layers of fiberglass or Kevlar cloth from the grip up to the barrel channel. After the stock is made the action area is milled to fit. This results if a very strong, lightweight and trim stock.

B&C and HS use an aluminum chassis in the action area. A mixture of molten plastic and chopped fiberglass is poured into a mold around the aluminum. Having the metal block in there results in a quite heavy stock that has to be thick and chunky to work around it.

I would not use one on a hunting rifle. They are too heavy and have that thick chunky feel to them. While the cheaper stocks get a bad rap on the internet I've found most of them to shoot just as well and would rather have most of those in favor of the B&C stocks. Filling in the hollow buttstock with packing peanuts gets rid of the hollow sound.
Old February 12, 2014, 12:21 PM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40
I would not use one on a hunting rifle. They are too heavy and have that thick chunky feel to them.
I agree with you on the feel of them, but the weight savings of a McMillan edge is only 6-8 ounces. The McMillan edge pictured weighs 25 ounces after bedding, the B&C stock weighs 30 ounces with factory bedding. I didn't like the feel of the EW stock so much that I put the EW barreled action in a McMillan M70 FWT edge fill stock. Luckily I've been able to find all my edge stocks second hand and have averaged around $400 apiece for them.

Last edited by taylorce1; February 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old February 14, 2014, 10:42 AM   #11
SCgman

I've used the medalist full bedding block stocks. They are heavy, solid, non flexing. If I had a complaint, even though the texture is roughed, it can come across as almost slick. One needs to either use good gloves or really stay conscious of sure gripping due to the increased weight.
Old February 14, 2014, 11:00 AM   #12
savagecornmuffin

One of the most accurate rifles I've owned was a Howa 30-06 in a Medalist stock. The B&C stock, a re-crown, and trigger got me to a consistent 3/4 moa.
Old February 17, 2014, 09:23 AM   #13
EMH

Those are some beautiful rifles.
Old February 19, 2014, 06:05 PM   #14
Unlicensed Dremel

The Medalist types are indeed excellent.

ANYTHING but a HS stocks - donneed to be givin' my money to a company which unapologetically uses a known murderer for a spokesman. Heck, even well-known murderer OJ Simpson has a far better argument than Lon that "I'm not a murderer" - he was acquitted. Lon was only saved by federal preemption.