The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Contrast Man

5 Station Die Setup

I just picked up a Hornady LnL AP and I'm having some issues deciding on which route to take on my die positioning. I'll be loading for 9mm, .357mag, .45ACP, and perhaps 9mak.

With how the die sets are packaged, it seems to make sense to have;

1) Size/Deprime
2) Expand
3) Powder Charge
4) Powder Check (Lock-Out)
5) Seat/Crimp

The only optional position I'm 100% firm on is the Powder Check. Some people feel it's unnecessary, but I would like to keep it. I do know of the universal PTX, and am considering it, however my concern with it is achieving the appropriate amount of expansion, especially with changing calibers.

If you have effective setups you run now or experience with the universal PTX, please let me know!
Old July 23, 2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Not precisely universal, the way the Lee expander is, but the Lyman Multi-Expander would be my choice. It comes with expander inserts for the calibers you propose to load for, plus has a female thread on top to accept the powder measure of your choice, plus it gives you the superior, IMHO, M-die expanded profile which creates a small step at the bottom that your bullet sits on, keeping it straight as it starts into the seating die. That actually makes a visible difference in how even the case bulge at the bullet base is, proving the bullets went in more straight. I find that with lead, at least, that actually affects group size (favorably, so).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 23, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Contrast Man

That's a pretty intriguing die. I've never heard of this before and at least on Lyman's website, it appears to be only an extra $10 over the universal PTX while being a lot simpler in operation. Especially when I change calibers. Though it seems that buying new dies individually is going to be the way to go.
Old July 23, 2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

You might actually turn out to be perfectly good to go with that setup. The only whole die addition that comes to mind to suggest is a Redding Profile Crimp die for the .357 Magnum. For a full power revolver round that needs a good roll crimp to prevent bullet back-out (especially light weight revolvers), this is a good choice. these dies constrain the case within the radial elastic limit of the brass to eliminate the development of a below-crimp bulge during heavy crimping. While the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die will iron out such a bulge, it always springs back a little, a problem you don't have if it never forms in the first place.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle