The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 28, 2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Hardcase

Shooting the Revolver - Army Style

I ran across a copy of the Army's manual of Cavalry Tactics from 1860 a while back. There's an appendix that contains "A Manual for Colt's Revolver".

Quote:
The trooper being mounted, holding the reins as presecribed in Cavalry Tactics, the pistol either in the holster or pistol-case, the instructor will command:

Draw-Pistol

2 times.

1. At the first command, unbuckle the holster or pistol-case, seize the pistol by the handle with the right hand, holding it between the palm of the hand and the three last fingers, the forefinger resting on the guard, the thumb on the handle.

2. At the second command, draw out the pistol and elevate it, the guard to the front, the wrist at the height of, and 6 inches from the right shoulder.

Six times

1. Load.

1 time and 1 motion.

1. Place the pistol in the bridle-hand, holding it by the handle in front of the body, the hammer between the thumb and fore-finger, and turned to the left, the muzzle pointing upwards. Carry the right hand to the cartridge-box and open it.

2. Handle-Cartridge.

1 time, 1 motion.

Seize the cartridge with the thumb and the first two fingers, and carry it to the mouth.

3. Tear-Cartridge.

Bite off the end and carry the cartridge opposite the chamber nearest the lever.

4. Charge-Cartridge.

1 time and 2 motions.

1. Empty the powder into the chamber, and insert the ball, pressing it down as far as possible with the thumb and fore-finger.
2. Turn the pistol with the left hand, bringing the hammer towards the body, and cock it with the thumb of the right hand.

5. Ram-Cartridge.

1 time, 2 motions.

1. Seize the lever at the catch wit hthe thumb and fore-finger of the right hand, ram down the ball, and replace the lever.
2. Let down the hammer with the right hand, and carry the hand to the cartridge-box.
Repeat as above until all the chambers are loaded.

6. Prime.

1 time, 2 motions.

1. Lower the muzzle towards the right side by turning the wrist of the bridle-hand, the muzzle pointing downwards, the hammer to the front, the left wrist resting against the stomach; half-cock the pistol with the left thumb, turn the cylinder with the thumb and forefinger of the right hand until it clicks. Take a cap and press it on the exposed cone. Turn again the cylinder until it clicks, and so on until all the cones are capped, the hammer resting on the safety notch.
2. Seize the pistol at the handle with the right hand, and bring it to the position of draw pistol.
The instructor wishing to fire, will command:

Ready.

1 time, 2 motions.

1. Place the pistol in the left hand, the little finger touching the key, the barrel nearly vertical, the muzzle a little inclined to the left and front, the guard to the front, the thumb on the head of the hammer, the fore-finger along the guard.
2. Cock the pistol, and bring it to the position of draw pistol.

Aim.

1 time.

Lower the pistol, the arm half extended, and place the fore-finger lightly on the trigger, the muzzle directed to the height of the man's waist.

Fire.

1 time.

Press the fore-finger steadily on the trigger, fire and retake the position of draw pistol.
The men being at a ready, and the instructor wishing to fire all the barrels in quick succession, will give an intimation to that effect, and then command:

1. Aim-2. Fire.

The men will fire, then take the first position of ready, cock, aim, and fire again, and so continue until the pistol is discharged; then take the position of draw pistol.
The instructor wishing to reload, will command:

Load at will.

Load.

1 time.

Load the six chambers as heretofore prescribed, and take the position of draw pistol.

Return Pistol.

1 time.

Lower the muzzle of the pistol, and return it to the holster or pistol-case.
When the troopers become well instructed in the use of the pistol, the following mode of coming to a ready will be substituted for the above.

Ready.

Incline the muzzle of the pistol to the front, the wrist remaining six inches from the shoulder; place the first joint of the thumb on the head of the hammer, and cock it by an extension of the thumb, and resume the position of draw pistol.
Old September 28, 2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Hawg

Cool.
Old September 28, 2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello, Hardcase. No wonder many troopers..especially southerners, carried multiple revolvers..How many could do that with whizzing minnie's and exploding shells on horseback!
Old September 29, 2011, 09:34 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

Most excellent!
Old September 29, 2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

I have wondered....

.....how many horses were shot in the head accidently by a trooper who could not properly handle the revolver when the horse was moving at any speed higher than a walk.

I have also marvelled at the monumental amount of composure a cavalry horse had to maintain.

I have been told that because of the shape of a horse's eye, they easily become excited. The idea is that the shape of the eye and lens causes all motion to be exagerated to the horse's sense. Consequently horses are easy to spook unless they are trained. I also have read that horses that are not properly trained are of absolutely no use as cavalry mounts. I know that in the Napoleonic wars, attrition in cavalry mounts was not supplemented by drawing from the numerous horses available in the baggage train because the draft horses simply could not do cavalry work. They may have been unsuitable for physical reasons too. (Not just temperament)

I know there are horsemen in the group and I have been on a horse exactly two times in my life. Both times turned out bad and so I just figured it would be a good idea to worship from afar.
Old September 29, 2011, 02:52 PM   #6
OutlawJoseyWales

Thanks for the information, very interesting.

If you want an adventure, try shooting off the back of a horse.
I frankly don't see how this was done, but of course, we know it was.
Even Hollywood can pull it off.

Horses are like large pets, but then also like children. Every one of of them has a distinct personality, but since this isn't a "horse" forum, I'll hush.
OJW
Old September 29, 2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Ideal Tool

Howdy Doc Hoy..None other than George A. Custer managed that, while chasing buffalo away hell off yonder from command on prairie.
Came walking into camp carrying saddle.
Old October 1, 2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Stephanie B

Quote:
I have been told that because of the shape of a horse's eye, they easily become excited. The idea is that the shape of the eye and lens causes all motion to be exaggerated to the horse's sense. Consequently horses are easy to spook unless they are trained.
I hadn't thought about it, but that makes sense. Horses are herbivores, which in the wild means that they tend to get eaten by carnivores. So the horses that are better at detecting movement would have a better chance of surviving and that's how they would evolve.

The people who, all those millennia ago, domesticated horses and cattle were geniuses. I doubt if humans could have made the transition to civilizations without draft animals.
Old October 1, 2011, 01:23 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Quote:
1. Place the pistol in the left hand, the little finger touching the key, the barrel nearly vertical, the muzzle a little inclined to the left and front, the guard to the front, the thumb on the head of the hammer, the fore-finger along the guard.
Am I reading it right? The gun is placed in the left hand for firing?

Were troopers expected to keep a sabre in the right hand and the pistol in the left and the reins held in their teeth?
Old October 2, 2011, 12:58 AM   #10
Hardcase

Sounds about right to me, Gary. I believe that the saber was the primary cavalry weapon in the early 1860s.
Old October 2, 2011, 02:46 PM   #11
g.willikers

Might help to explain why there are so many relics to be found on the old battle fields.
Old October 2, 2011, 10:00 PM   #12
Hellgate

Somewhere I read that there never was a documented case of an irregular Confederate cavalryman (Bushwhackers, Bloody Bill Anderson types) ever killed by a Union saber. The irregulars often carried several revolvers and shot there way out of any enemy cavalry engagement. The Union guys were taking a knife (saber) to a gunfight. It may be BS but so far of what I have read of bushwhacker types it makes sense.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old October 8, 2011, 08:58 PM   #13
Southron

Why! You Can Shoot A Gun While Mounted on Any Hoss!

Well, at least ONE time!

The "Old Cavalry Method" to train horses to stand gunfire was to shoot a gun and then when the horse calmed down, give him some oats to eat. The trooper did this over and over again.

After a while, the horse associated gunfire with FOOD and didn't Spook anymore.

So, they still train horses that way.It works.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:58 AM   #14
Doc Hoy

Good info Southron

Makes complete sense.

I know nothing about horses. Accept that I don't get long with them.
Old October 11, 2011, 07:44 PM   #15
mike in nc

I am curious, does it have a section on cleaning the revolver?
Old October 12, 2011, 10:42 AM   #16
Hardcase

It doesn't, Mike.

I found the book online, on Google Books - here's a link: http://books.google.com/books?id=0Dh...page&q&f=false

The one that Google scanned is in a lot better shape than mine!
Old October 12, 2011, 05:51 PM   #17
Crazy Clay

Thanks for that link. I've bookmarked it for later reading.

Clay
Old October 12, 2011, 07:10 PM   #18
Newton24b

its strange no one has thought it odd that the manual instructs the shooter to bit open the end of each cartridge before inserting into the chamber. ive never seen that referenced anywhere else, and well not even the collectors of civil war cumbustable cartridges haveever stated that.

kinda strange.
Old October 12, 2011, 07:23 PM   #19
mike in nc

Thanks Hardcase
Old October 12, 2011, 07:26 PM   #20
Shotgun693

Given the right horse it's not that hard to train one to use as a shooting mount. Go see a Cowboy Mounted Shoot some time. I've owned several, out of 22, that were good to shoot off of.
Old October 12, 2011, 07:49 PM   #21
Shotgun693

Given the right horse it's not that hard to train one to use as a shooting mount. Go see a Cowboy Mounted Shoot some time. I've owned several, out of 22, that were good to shoot off of.
Old October 12, 2011, 11:14 PM   #22
OutlawJoseyWales

Shotgun, I've always wondered if it was the horse or the training. Horses are such strange critters, it would be easy to see how you'd have to find just the right one. They all have unique personalities, breeding, raising etc., so much goes into how they are going to react.

In history though, I don't know how that would work.
It would seem that every horse in the South would have been pressed into duty during The War.

Did you say only a couple out of 22 could be trained to gunshots?
Thanks.
Old October 13, 2011, 01:46 AM   #23
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton24b
its strange no one has thought it odd that the manual instructs the shooter to bit open the end of each cartridge before inserting into the chamber. ive never seen that referenced anywhere else, and well not even the collectors of civil war cumbustable cartridges haveever stated that.

kinda strange.

It's was referenced as recently as Februrary 11, 2011 that Civil War recruits could be refused entry into service if they have didn't have enough good teeth.
It was stated that was because teeth were necessary for tearing open paper cartridges.

The quotes below are from the following thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ighlight=teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate Post #15
The note about the "tail" of the pistol cartridges reminded me of something: This does not apply to pistol cartridges but the recollection came to mind that Civil War infantry soldiers had to have few or no front teeth missing or they would be rejected because they would be unable to bite & tear open the paper cartridges used in the rifled muskets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman Post #17
hellgate, liked your fronteirsman catagory explaination....

that is true about pulling your front teeth for deferment during the war of southern independence.

probably happened previously during the American revolution too and handed down .

this only was for musket & rifled musket cartridges....

most breech loaders & pistols used combustible cartridges also called self consuming,

loved that explaination..... that's the one i'm going for!

s.m.
Old October 13, 2011, 08:15 PM   #24
Newton24b

everyone knows about the front teeth rule for pulling open teeth. in fact, its still one of the mandatory questions a military recruiter asks you.

ive just never seen ripping open cumbustible cartridges for revolvers mentioned before in period material.
Old October 14, 2011, 01:48 AM   #25
4V50 Gary
Staff

Quote:
The "Old Cavalry Method" to train horses to stand gunfire was to shoot a gun and then when the horse calmed down, give him some oats to eat. The trooper did this over and over again.

After a while, the horse associated gunfire with FOOD and didn't Spook anymore.
Thanks Southron. I didn't know Pavlovian methods were used by the cavalry.