The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 19, 2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Jayko

New to the world of AR...

I have an AR10A4 by Armalite to fire the .308/7.62x51. Recently I was looking at purchasing a Hi-Point .40cal Carbine to go along with my Hi-Point 995. While browsing, I stumbled upon a site that had a heading: "Olympic AR-15 A3 Flattop Upper Assembly 9mm". In the details it went on to say "The 16" button rifled barrel is chambered for 9mm Luger and has a 1 in 16" rate of twist. Ready for installation onto any standard AR-15 lower receiver."

My question has now become; 'Will the upper assembly for the Olympic AR-15 fit the lower assembly of my AR10A4?'

It would be great if all I had to purchase for ammo was .40, 9mm for target shooting and the .308 for hunting.

Any advise or help would be great. Thanks.

article ref: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=924841
Old April 19, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Jim243

Sorry to disapoint you, but I believe the 9mm upper will need an AR-15 lower not a AR-10 lower.

Jim
Old April 20, 2011, 06:04 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Quote:
My question has now become; 'Will the upper assembly for the Olympic AR-15 fit the lower assembly of my AR10A4?'
NO, it well only fit a AR15 lower. I believe for a 9mm you well need a mag spacer for the mag well and you need to address the buffer weight for reliable function.
Old April 20, 2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Jayko

So to further flaunt my ignorance... what are the major differences between ARs 15 and 10, other than incompatability?
Old April 20, 2011, 10:51 AM   #5
precision_shooter

Quote:
So to further flaunt my ignorance... what are the major differences between ARs 15 and 10, other than incompatability?
Ignorance is the unwillingness to learn. Since you are wanting to learn and asking questions, I would say you are not ingnorant!

Now, the main difference between an AR-15 and and AR-10 are size. The 10 is bigger to allow for the bigger magazines that hold the bigger/longer cartridges of the .308 based family. The 15 is smaller allowing use of the smaller/shorter .223 and other cartridges whose length is equal to or less than (with adapters for magazines) that of the .223...

Other than that, everything between the 2 is the same, just in different scale...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old April 20, 2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Technosavant

Quote:
Ignorance is the unwillingness to learn. Since you are wanting to learn and asking questions, I would say you are not ingnorant!
Nah, the classical definition is simply not knowing. The modern perjorative definition is not knowing and not being willing to learn.

But yes, the main difference between AR-15 and AR-15 lowers is the magwell size. There may be a few differences in the parts kits as well; I'm not terribly familiar with the AR-10 design, but the LPKs are different between the two (and I couldn't say exactly what the differences are).

Furthermore, the 9mm top ends sometimes require more than just a mag block and a buffer change; depending on the design of the thing a new hammer may be required as well (there's some 9mm uppers out there that will work fine with a regular AR-15 hammer). Rock River also makes a 9mm upper, but I couldn't tell you if it's one of those that requires a special hammer or now.
Old April 21, 2011, 07:59 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

If your really interested in a pistol caliber AR15 look at stuff from Ron Williams, Bazooka Bros. or Olympic Arms. I'm looking at the blow back .45acp from Oly. A 11.5 barrel with a can sounds like fun to me.

http://bazookabrothers.com/

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=37