The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 30, 2011, 08:49 AM   #1
tpcollins

Question about the Harris BRM bipod

I was looking at the Harris S-BRM bipod to use for bench shooting/sighting in but the $110 price tag put me off (although I do have the Harris S series 25C for stand shooting).

I picked up the Caldwell 6"-9" version that swivels plus it also has the notched legs for $50. But when the legs are extended to various lengths, there's a bit of "slop" in these notches. It's not an issue when the weight of the rifle rests on it but I was wondering if the Harris bipods had the same "slop"? But for half the price I think I can live with it . . . thanks.
Old March 30, 2011, 09:10 AM   #2
bassfishindoc

I have two Harris bipods and in my opinion they are worth every penny! They are very tight and have no slop whatsoever. IMO I would rather pay a little more and get a quality piece that is tight w/o slop and has been proven to last. If you are unhappy with the Caldwell, MidwayUSA is having a sale on Harris bipods rights now and you can get the Harris S-BRM for 89.99.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old March 30, 2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

I have a Harris fixed model and a Caldwell pivot. The Harris is more sturdily built.
That said, the Caldwell seems to work just fine,despite it's lighter construction. It could use a pod-lock,but that's about my only complaint with it.
Old March 30, 2011, 11:23 AM   #4
tpcollins

Well that did it! I went and perused fleabay and a guy just listed a Harris S-BRM with a podlock with a buy it now for $80 - it's mine. Gee whiz, I'll have to take the Caldwell back to Cabelas - I hope I don't spend more than I get with the return . . .