The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2011, 09:51 AM   #1
JJT10

Colt 32 die question

I have a couple colt 32 revolvers that are from the 1920's. I have some rounds left, 32 S&W long, and I bought some 32 auto rounds. Looking at die's to reload these, it seems that there are different die sets for the long vrs the auto, which of coarse is a shorter case. Do I need to get both die sets? Or will one work for both? Also will the bullets be matched differently between the long and the auto? I know the powder charge will certainly differ. To make things more completed I have a handful of loads that are 32 S&W and have shorter casings then the auto's. These were all inherited except the 32 auto rounds I bought. The guns are fun to shoot but the ammo is pricey. I already load 40 S&W and thought I'd load these also.
Old April 1, 2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, first, .32 Colt and .32 S&W Long are not the same cartridge.

If your gun is marked .32 Colt New Police, then that IS the same cartridge as the .32 S&W Long.

The .32 Colt cartridges (short and long) used a sub .30 caliber bullet, the .32 S&W Long uses roughly a .312 bullet, as does the .32 Auto.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 2, 2011, 01:47 AM   #3
JJT10

They at not marked 32colt new police. I do know they are 32 cal 6 shot revolvers. They look to be chrome plated 2 have black plastic over the grip and 1 has brown. 1 says "Harrington & richardson arms co. Worcester Mass. USA pat'd Oct 4 '87" right on top of the barrel. 1 says same "Harrington & richardson arms co. Worcester Mass. USA pat'd Oct 4 '87. May14 & Aug 6 '89 April 2 '95 April 7 1896" The 3rd one is a deferent manufacturer same place it says "Forehand & Wadsworth Worcester Mass. USA pat'd Dec 7 '86 & Jan 11 '87" when I inherited them they came with 2 different size rounds the 32 S&W L casing measures .9125 Hornady has the S&W longs at .920 max. The shorter casings I have left from it are 32 S&W and the casings measure .596 with nothing listed in the book. The 32 auto's I bought, the casings measure .670 and Hornady lists max at .680. I can shoot either of this ammo from the guns I am just wondering 1 can I buy one set of dies to load them all or do I need to get a set for the long, short, and the auto? And 2 what do I actually have since there isn't much stamped on these guns. Also just noticed and read the short history of the H&R magnum on page 785 of hornady's book 7th edition. Maybe that's what I have? Or check the antique road show lol. Any way thanks for the help.
Old April 2, 2011, 02:05 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

All three of those pistols are very likely to be Black Powder Cartridge firearms. Shooting smokeless powder loads is absolutely not safe, until you determine the exact models you have there.

Although I can tell you all about the differences between .32 Auto, .32 S&W, and .32 S&W Long; you need to find out what you've got first. You need to find out exactly what cartridge the pistols are chambered in (there are nearly a dozen .32 caliber cartridges possible), and whether they are smokeless or black powder rated.

Post in the revolver forum here, with all the information you've got. There are several H&R collectors that frequent these forums, as well as an H&R historian that does his best to provide positive IDs.
Old April 2, 2011, 06:56 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

As far as I know, H&R never chambered any of it's breaktop guns in .32 Colt.

Are you sure that's what you've got?

I'd better bet that you've got three guns chambered for .32 Smith & Wesson, an earlier, shorter cartridge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.