The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 30, 2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Sefner

NRA Instructor Certification Questions

So I'm interested in becoming an NRA Certified Instructor, but I have some questions.

I'm 21, still in college, "grew up around guns", but never took a real interest in shooting until my late teens. I have purchased and own several firearms, go to a shooting range, am looking to become a member at another range (part of the reason I want to become a Certified Instructor, to give back to the range and the community) and I feel like I have a very strong knowledge in the areas that I want to become certified in (partly thanks to this forum ), but I'm still a little worried about whether or not my background is suitable/thorough enough for the Instructor Certifications. The website to register for the classes says that "Candidates must possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills acquired through previous firearm training and/or previous shooting experience. Instructor candidates must be intimately familiar with each action type in the discipline they wish to be certified." This seems very vague to me. The classes I am interested in are both Personal Protection classes, Range Safety Officer, and FIRST Steps Pistol Orientation.

So my question, to those who are Certified Instructors, what kind of background is needed for these classes?
Old August 30, 2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

I think that you'd be fine.

I suggest starting with getting certified for the Basic Handgun course. That will prepare you to teach Basic Handgun and First Steps and lay a good foundation.

When you then go to become certified in the Personal Protection courses, you will first take the course itself and then take the instructor's component. At least that's the way our local Training Counselor handled it when I got certified.

I believe that if you are a Certified Instructor you can go for your RSO certification on-line.

Congratulations on your decision to seek instructor certification. I think you'll find it very worthwhile, and helping teach is a satisfying and valuable contribution to the RKBA.
Old August 30, 2010, 03:11 PM   #3
HeadHunter

An NRA Certified Instructor can receive the Range Safety Officer Certification through Home Validation. https://www.nrahq.org/education/training/rso_val.asp I am working on that right now.

You might also like to get started on the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program in the Handgun Discipline. https://www.nrahq.org/education/trai...ship/index.asp It's actually a very enjoyable program and gives you some very specific benchmarks to define your skill level.

"You can't go as deep [in] training as in a race or a fight. If you don't compete it's easy to convince yourself you're going hard. You're not." — Mark Twight
Old August 30, 2010, 05:45 PM   #4
finz50

I just completed my class to become a certified instructor this weekend. Here's a link to find a training counselor in your area. http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx You can also call the NRA at 702-267-1430 to find a TC in your area. You're going to need a TC that will give you the training. Mine, had our class meet him to shooting qual and show him that we we capable of unloading/loading different actions (SA revolver/DA revolver, and semi-auto) or firearms. The classes may not be available to easily (I know PPOTH is very hard to come by right now and you have to go through the class as a student before you can sign up for the instructor class. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions....
Old August 30, 2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Sefner

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

finz, I really was interested in PPOTH and found just what you said, that they are very hard to find

HeadHunter, what is the Marksmanship Qualification? I had found the link you gave earlier today but I can't find a Marksmanship Qualification anywhere in there.

fiddletown, thanks for the headsup on RSO. I'll definitely look into that. Online classes are a huge plus for me.
Old August 30, 2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefner
...fiddletown, thanks for the headsup on RSO. I'll definitely look into that. Online classes are a huge plus for me.
Well, I'm afraid it seems I was wrong about it being on-line. See HeadHunter's post. The RSO certification is home study, which is almost as good as on-line (you'll have to mess with the mail).

In fact, I just used HeadHunter's link and ordered the RSO materials.