The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2011, 01:55 AM   #1
tejanoprepper

9MM/124GR, Rainier lead safe Flat nose & bullseye powder

I am new to reloading and will be loading my first bullets in a couple of days. I ordered some 124gr Rainier lead safe flat nose bullets and will be using bullseye powder. The only problem is I cant find the load data for this mix on the loading manual I have. Have any of you loaded these bullets and powder before, or do you have an idea oh what start load I should start with?

Thank you,

PS: Here is the link to the bullets I got

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=139196

Last edited by tejanoprepper; March 27, 2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: for some information
Old March 27, 2011, 03:04 AM   #2
Jim243

Well this isn't much help but might.

Jim

http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm
Old March 27, 2011, 04:24 AM   #3
Shoney

The new Alliant online data does not list any lead loads. My old Alliant data lists 4.9 gr BE with 125gr lead.

You might start at 15% low instead of the standard 10% start load, because most new load manuals list lower Lawyer loads. Work up with care.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 27, 2011, 10:17 AM   #4
spacecoast

Alliant's web site shows 4.4 gr. of Bullseye with a 124 gr. GDHP for 1059 fps

www.reloadammo.com shows 4.7 gr. with a 125 gr. LRN for 1105

www.reloadammo.com also shows 4.2 gr. with a 125 JHP for 1155

www.handloads.com shows two loads of 4.9 gr. and 125 gr. bullets, one for lead and the other FMJ for ~1160 fps

Given those numbers, I think a starting load of 4.0 gr. would be pretty conservative and a reasonable place to start, and should cycle your pistol without much concern for overcharging. Remember that Bullseye is a very fast (rate of burn) powder and is not intended for max. velocity loads, only for target velocity.
Old March 27, 2011, 11:52 AM   #5
tejanoprepper

Thanks for the info. I think I will go ahead with the 4.0gr start load. I think it is definitely a good starting load and take it from there. Will see how it goes, its my first time and cant wait to get em done and go to the range.
Old March 27, 2011, 12:25 PM   #6
spacecoast

You didn't say what reloading equipment you will be using, but make certain that before you seat the bullets there is no possibility that you have mistakenly dropped a double charge in any of them. You can and should verify this visually. When I'm working up a new load I will usually start with a mag or two's worth of rounds - certainly no more than 50 until you ascertain that it's going to work OK in your gun. It's a pain to take them apart with a puller if you find it necessary to do so. Good luck, let us know how they shoot.
Old March 27, 2011, 01:18 PM   #7
tejanoprepper

I am using a Lee Challenger 50th anniversary kit single stage press. I used the lee universal decaper and deprimed all the brass. I dont have a tumbler yet, so I cleaned the brass with hot water and some dish washing detergent. i just let it soak a bit and then mixed it around and rinsed them out. I let them dry out and will start reloading in a couple of days, due to the fact that the bullets are barely on the way in the mail. I will surely start off with maybe 25 rounds and see if they will work fine and I will take it from there. Let me know if there is anything I am missing... thx for all the information.
Old April 1, 2011, 01:31 PM   #8
tejanoprepper

what OAL should i have on these bullets?

I got all my supplies together and will start reloading. I just wanted to know what would be the OAL required for the bullets I will be firing which are 124gr rainier plated flat point bullets. I am using a 4.0grain bullseye powder charge.

Thank you