The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 10, 2009, 09:17 PM   #1
olmontanaboy

Colt blackpowder

I was talking to a guy in work today and he told me that he heard that Colt might start up the black powder division again, he said he heard it at a local gun shop. Just bull**** or could it be true?
Old May 10, 2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Hawg

Highly unlikely. They didn't even put their hands on the third generations.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:26 PM   #3
olmontanaboy

Yeah, it don't seem too likely to me neither, but I wouldn't mind seein it happen.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:30 PM   #4
Hawg

It would be nice if they built their own parts but they no longer have the tooling. They'd be too expensive for the average shooter anyway.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:06 PM   #5
Wobble

I think it's a good possibility, although I haven't seen or heard of any such thing. I would like to think that it might happen.

I have two of the 3rd generation blackpowder guns (Colt Signature series) that were manufactured by a Colt-licensed company, Colt Blackpowder Arms Company (no longer exists), to Colt specifications in the mid-late 1990's and came in a Colt box with Colt manual. Although the parts came from Italy, assemply and finishing was at CBA and the quality was exceptional. They are considered by collectors as genuine Colts and are beautiful guns.

There was also a 2nd generation production of blackpowder guns in the 1970's and 1980's that used contracted Italian parts and were assembled and finished in a Colt-owned factory. These were also high quality guns and are now collectors items.

Pricing on the 3rd generation guns in the 1990's was about the same as what a Uberti would cost now. So, if a 4th generation comes along, we can expect to see prices that are at least three times that of an Uberti -- probably in the $750-$1000 range.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:58 PM   #6
CraigC

With the great improvements they've made with the SAA in the last couple years, it wouldn't really surprise me. I'd love to see Colt or USFA start producing premium-grade cartridge conversions. At least the 1851 and 1860, be nice if they did the pocket models as well as the Walker and Dragoons.
Old May 11, 2009, 06:03 AM   #7
CaptainCrossman

there were some 3rd generation guns that had a mixture of Italian import and Made in USA parts- some of the 3rd gen guns had frames and other parts made in USA.

they need to get off the "cheap import" angle and make the guns here in USA- with the economy hurting the way it is, every stereo, car, or gun that's imported is just one more nail in the USA economy

let's make the stuff here already. Even if the jobs pay only $10-$15 an hour to start, I'm sure they can find people willing and happy to do it, from the millions of unemployed we have in this country now. Heck, I'd be thrilled to work at a place that made these handguns here in USA- and be damned proud of it too.

our problem as a country is, the moment we need something, we look overseas for someone to make it cheap- rather than roll up our sleeves and tool up, and make it ourselves here.

which leads to the question- WTH happened to this country ?
Old May 11, 2009, 06:11 AM   #8
Dingoboyx

If they did, it would be good

except I cant see that there would be a big enough market for them to do so.... and so if they did, the guns would be too expensive.... IMO, Colt would more likely source a replica company to licence build them for colt (and stand over them with baseball bats... to ensure Colt Quality) and then they would be very expensive anyway

Nice thought tho
Old May 11, 2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Wobble

I think there would enough collectors/investors to justify a new run. It worked in the 80's and 90's. Heck, if I had had a bunch of 3rd Generation Signature Colts in my 401K, I would be much better off right now.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Fingers McGee

I could only hope

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 12, 2009, 07:56 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

With NIB 2nd and 3rd gens on the market and not selling I would give it a snowballs chance. Colt could make more money by making the Python again, but that ain't going to happen. Colt is happy making EBR's.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:37 AM   #12
arcticap

After July 1st, 2009, Colt's future existence is uncertain since that's when their gov't. contract to produce the M4 expires, and their entire [civilian] handgun production has been significantly downsized over the years.

Quote:
...Colt continues production of classic designs such as the SAA, sold in both the limited collector's market and through more traditional channels. However, it survives primarily on the manufacturing of a variety of civilian and military weapons. The most popular of these are various AR-15 Carbines, a weapon category that it invented and helped develop over nearly 30 years since acquiring the AR-15 design. The AR-15 Carbine derivatives, and weapons like them have proved so popular that a large amount of competition has arisen in the area. As with AR-15 rifles, the original Colt designs and their derivatives are heavily copied, and as a result they face much competition from other manufacturers, including Springfield Armory, Kimber Manufacturing, and US Fire Arms....

However, Colt remains the sole source for M4 carbines for the US military. Under their license agreement with Colt, the US military cannot legally award second-source production contracts for the M4 until July 1, 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt's_...turing_Company
Old May 13, 2009, 12:31 AM   #13
Poordevil

Colt making another blackpowder series? I dunno. Over at gunbroker.com I have been seeing Colt 2nd generation Dragoons, Navies, Walkers you name it up for auction with opening bids around $800 and no takers. Many don't have a single bid on them. These are NIB and they are not selling.

This is just my observation over the last 3 days or so. I am kind of interested in a NIB Colt Walker so I was checking things out. If this is any reflection of what the blackpowder market would be like for Colt, I don't think they would be to anxious to get their feet wet.

If Colt did make another run of quality blackpowder guns they would probably retail for at least $800. Made in USA with quality steel and fit and finish; those things would not be cheap! And they would have to go a long way to beat the quality of the 2nd generation guns out there now that don't seem to be selling.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:39 AM   #14
madcratebuilder

I really doubt that Colt would have ever made the 2nd or 3rd gen revolvers without the late Val Forgett and Lou Imperato. These two men were the driving force behind these revolvers, they made it happen. RIP
Old May 13, 2009, 11:16 AM   #15
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Colt making another blackpowder series? I dunno. Over at gunbroker.com I have been seeing Colt 2nd generation Dragoons, Navies, Walkers you name it up for auction with opening bids around $800 and no takers. Many don't have a single bid on them. These are NIB and they are not selling.
I've been buying (and occasionally selling) 2nd Gens on Gunbroker and the other auction sites for about 5 years. The ones that don't sell and seem to hang around forever are the ones that are overpriced as compared to the Blue Book. 2nd Gens (and Sig Series) revolvers that have opening bids set in the 98% to NIB values of the Blue Book usually don't stay around long; and, depending on model, sell at or above the BB.

That isn't always the case, though, cause I've seen some sell at rediculously high prices as well as bargain basement prices (Like MCBs cased Pocket Police).
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce