The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 3, 2013, 12:41 AM   #1
deerslayer303

Heritage Big Bore Revolvers

Hey Ya'll,
Hope everyone is having a great weekend and making some smoke! I'm not its snowing and to cold for me. Anyway, Does anyone here have any experience with Heritage's SAA clones? I didn't even know they made anything other than a .22 chambered clone, until I went to their website. I can't find any retailers who sell them online, so I don't know what they sell them for. All I can see is the MSRP on Heritage's website. I'm thinking they may be priced about the same as a Pietta SAA. Just curious and something to talk about. One of these days I will get a SAA clone.
Old March 3, 2013, 01:03 AM   #2
BerdanSS

My brother has one in 45 colt with a 4.75" barrel and case colored frame (the RR45CH4 model). I've shot it on several occasions. It's pretty well made, decent accuracy and a blast to shoot. Only hitch that made me go with a uberti hombre, was the transfer bar action. Call me a purest...but to me a SSA clone should have a hammer mounted firing pin instead of them there new fangled things

Quality and accuracy wise though is on par with my 4.75" .45 colt uberti. Our local gun shop is a stocking dealer of the heritage arms guns. I believe he paid around $329 for his out the door on veterans day weekend, with his appreciation discount. Think it was like $389 before? Not bad...although I got my uberti for $270 including shipping and a $10 transfer fee (buddy owns a gun shop) NIB off of gunbroker from Tanners sports

Last edited by BerdanSS; March 3, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old March 3, 2013, 01:22 AM   #3
deerslayer303

Quote:
Call me a purest...but to me a SSA clone should have a hammer mounted firing pin instead of them there new fangled things
Well that's a bummer. I knew the .22 model had that transfer bar and a safety. But I figured the big bore would have the simplistic firing mechanism. But then again on the other hand with that there new fangled thingymadohopper you WON'T have to LOAD ONE SKIP ONE . 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other. But I'm with you. I want a CLONE! And what is the definition of a clone?? An EXACT copy, or is it not?
Old March 3, 2013, 01:56 AM   #4
TennJed

Look at Buds and keep checking. I have seen them available every now and then for a short time on their website.
Old March 3, 2013, 02:19 AM   #5
shootniron

Get the Uberti...a great shooter and well made for considerably less than the Colt.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:25 AM   #6
deerslayer303

When the time comes it will probably be the Uberti. You guys seem happy with yours. I slung one of the little .22 Heritage RR's in the cart last night while ammo shopping. If I don't win the auction on a 1860 I'm bidding on, I just may order a SAA. But I'm torn between .357 (cause I can shoot .38spl) or the 45 Colt (<which would be a new caliber for me).
Old March 3, 2013, 12:00 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

The Heritage revolvers I have examined....

....Have some parts made from "whitemetal" and then painted.

On the ones I looked at, this was true of the trigger guard and back strap.

In addition some older ones had the ejector tube and loading gate also made from whitemetal. I know that more recent versions have the latter two parts made from steel and then blued to match the revolver.

No problem here unless you handle the revolver a lot and then the paint wears off and the whitemetal shows through. My opinion is that is somewhat unsightly and cheap-looking.

They bear a striking resemblance to the Geroco Scout which I bought recently, made by Herbert Schmidt in Germany and then imported by Geroco. That revolver is browned rather than blued and the whitemetal parts will be replaced with Uberti parts as soon as my better half misplaces the checkbook.

Mine failed due to a broken hand pin and a worn cam. I made the pin and reshaped the cam and it is cycling like new.

Hawes parts fit mine and I have no clue what parts availability is like for the Heritage revolvers.

I agree with Shootin Iron. Get an Uberti first and then buy the Heritage as a second shooter.
Old March 3, 2013, 12:32 PM   #8
deerslayer303

Thanks Doc, I was hoping you would chime in with your experience. Because something was telling me you would know, with that PILE of revolvers you have. Uberti it is. I've never owned a SAA so I have no idea what model to get. So I can't think of any better reason to make the trek to Dixie.
Old March 3, 2013, 01:03 PM   #9
BerdanSS

Quote:
deerslayer303

I've never owned a SAA so I have no idea what model to get.

7 & 1/2".......model P.......44-40.........that is all
Old March 3, 2013, 02:00 PM   #10
jlb43

I vote for the Uberti SAA. I bought this baby about 12 years ago at a LGS. It was tagged as used but it sure did not look like it. It is a .357 which is a perfect gun for me since it handles a wide assortment of ammo from .38 shorts up. Next to my 3rd Gen. Colt .45 this is my favorite cartridge handgun.

Old March 3, 2013, 09:27 PM   #11
Hardcase

The Heritage big bore revolvers are made by Pietta. Heritage makes the rimfire guns in the US. They make two kinds of rimfire revolvers - one is steel, the other is that Zamac "pot metal" with various sleeves where extra strength is needed.

The big bore revolvers ought to be whatever Pietta is producing as an 1873 clone. I wouldn't expect any non-steel or brass parts that aren't in their regular line, but I suppose that depends on just how finished the gun is before Heritage gets it.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:31 PM   #12
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcase View Post
The Heritage big bore revolvers are made by Pietta. Heritage makes the rimfire guns in the US. They make two kinds of rimfire revolvers - one is steel, the other is that Zamac "pot metal" with various sleeves where extra strength is needed.

The big bore revolvers ought to be whatever Pietta is producing as an 1873 clone. I wouldn't expect any non-steel or brass parts that aren't in their regular line, but I suppose that depends on just how finished the gun is before Heritage gets it.
Which rimfires do they make in steel? Are any of the Rough Riders? If so how do you determine which is which?
Old March 3, 2013, 09:39 PM   #13
Hardcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennJed
Which rimfires do they make in steel? Are any of the Rough Riders? If so how do you determine which is which?
http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/department.cfm?id=1525

I've never seen one - my understanding is that they make them for the states listed on that page because those states have laws restricting guns under a certain weight or made out of certain materials - sort of anti-Saturday night special laws, I guess.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:20 PM   #14
brazosdave

My Uberti Hombre in .357 is a pleasure to shoot!
Old March 5, 2013, 10:09 PM   #15
MrAcheson

Quote:
Well that's a bummer. I knew the .22 model had that transfer bar and a safety. But I figured the big bore would have the simplistic firing mechanism.
The .22 and .32 Rough Riders do not have a transfer bar, they have an ugly hammer block switch. The Heritage Big Bore guns have transfer bars like Rugers.