The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 3, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1
feets

Hunting with pistol caliber carbines

I was working up some loads for my 94 Trapper in 45 Colt. I've found a couple good recipes for 250 gr SST at 1650 fps and 300 gr XTPs at 1440 fps. That's certainly enough to take the cocker spaniel sized deer in Texas and would do the trick on piggies too. I know I could push them harder but I don't see the point in it. Using fatties like these is kinda like bowling for Bambi as it is. There's no need for anti-tank munitions.
The SSTs that I use are the Hornady muzzle loading bullets that can be set at the perfect length to cycle in the lever action, fit in a big Ruger revolver, and still crimp before the ogive. It's a tough bullet to seat to length in a 45 Colt case.

I was thinking about trying similar loads with the same weight lead bullets.

For those of you who use pistol caliber carbines, what kind of loads do you use on different game? What about bullets? Lead? Hunting oriented JHPs (certainly no soft self defense stuff)? Squishy tipped pointy bullets?
Old October 4, 2012, 02:23 PM   #2
chewie146

Those SD and lighter constructed bullets out of a carbine can give great performance on coyote sized game and under. For me, when I hunt with long handguns and/or carbines, i typically use hard cast WC or SWC designs. That's where a nice single shot can really open up the possibilities. If you're running those SSTs in your trapper, make sure you load 2--one in the chamber and one in the tube. Don't stack a hard polymer tip. You'll have a grenade in your hands. Try Dardas or Oregon trail for those loads that aren't too hot. How far are you planning on shooting at these deer/pigs?
Old October 4, 2012, 07:41 PM   #3
feets

I wasn't too interested in going beyond 100 yards. That's a fairly easy shot with this carbine.
If I took a longer shot and missed the distance I could end up with a poorly hit critter. I really don't want to chase something half way to California to end my mistake.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Deja vu

I use a 357 magnum alot on deer and it works just fine with 158 grain SJFP bullets.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 4, 2012, 10:43 PM   #5
bubba15301

going to use a marlin1889 in32wcf(32/20) going to load a 120 grain cast rnfp.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:50 PM   #6
chewie146

Flat point, etc. would work great. Check out some of the casull offerings for the extra velocities offered from a carbine in .45. Those bullets would be better constructed to handle the impact of that kind of velocity without turning into confetti.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:25 AM   #7
Mayor Al

Wife had good success using a Ruger Semi-auto Carbine in 44 magnum. She got a large Feral Hog and a Whitetail Doe on our September trip. She used Mag-Tech 240 grain SJSP ammo.

I just got a new Ruger Model 77 Bolt Action in 44 magnum. I will be using the same ammo as "The Boss". I hate to set my Winchester 100 (.308) aside, but the ammo is not legal for hunting in Indiana, so the 44 magnum will step in. The Saiga 12 ga will go back in the rack too. No more slug-gun shoulders for me.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:38 PM   #8
tahunua001

I am still developing loads for my 44 mag(only had it a week) and have yet to find the opportunity to test the 9mm on deer.