The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2011, 08:37 PM   #1
imq707s

Lee Pro 1000 for .223...why no double disk kit?

So I finally got my new Lee Pro 1000 mounted to my bench and ready to start setting it up. I went through the dies and got them all dialed in, and then I started messing with the Lee Auto-Disk power charge dispenser. Come to find out, the largest hole/cavity in the largest disk is to SMALL and won't hold enough powder for a typical .223 round. I load 25 grains of H335 into my plinking loads, and the most I can get out of the Lee Auto Disk is 23.4 grains of powder.

So I start doing a little research on the net, and I guess it's pretty much common knowledge that for .223 rounds you need to purchase the Lee Double Disk Kit that lets you stack two measuring disks on top of each other in order to get the extra capacity needed for the .223. I think the kit is around $10.

I've used Lee stuff for years, and it's always been good quality stuff for a good price. So here is my question....if they sell a Lee Pro 1000 SPECIFICALLY for a .223 round, why in the hell wouldn't they throw in the Lee Double Disk Kit with it? If you can't even load .223 rounds without it.....why wouldn't they throw it in with the kit? Hell....even if they charger a little extra for it, anything is better than getting it all set up only to find that you can't even load any found because you need to stop and order a special "kit" for the powder charge dispenser.

Seems pretty stupid that they wouldn't include that with the .223 press they sell.
Old December 27, 2011, 09:36 PM   #2
3006mv

Thanks for sharing, sorry about your situation, this is good info for people that may be interested in buying your setup; I did not realize they made one for .223 I thought it was only for handgun loads. Maybe give Lee a call and voice your opinion. Would this item help ?http://www.midwayusa.com/product/150...der-charge-bar
instead of getting the double disk one? I wonder if you were to open the disk you are using just a little by removing some material to get the volume you need?
Old December 27, 2011, 10:01 PM   #3
dacaur

I would guess its not included becuase not all .223 loads will require the double disk kit....
Old December 28, 2011, 08:43 AM   #4
imq707s

Good idea, I think I'm going to try a little sandpaper on a drill bit and see if I can ream out the hole a little bit on one of the charging disks.
Old December 29, 2011, 12:09 AM   #5
1SOW

imq707s:

I have modified a number of holes successfully.

Warning, two things to be aware of:
1. Use a disc hole that is just smaller than needed for YOUR desired load.
2. Start enlarging the hole FROM the Bottom of the disc. This insures there is no "ledge" or obstruction that powder could rest on or stick to.
3. It only takes VERY LITTLE enlargement to get .2 grs of powder. GO SLOW and do a drop to test the weight.

My method is to use a jobber drill bit just a very small amount bigger than the hole you want to enlarge . Drill a very little from the bottom up, and check the drop. Where the bit stops leaves a very small "taper" (same as the bit shape) back to the original size hole. Repeat until you are almost where you want to be; then use a dowel with fine sandpaper wrapped around it to just fit the hole (from the bottom) Spin the dowel by hand until the inside is smooth and you almost can't see the place where you stopped drilling.

recheck the drop. Sand again if a a little more powder is needed..

This method has been accurate to 10 accumulated powder drops measuring within .1gr for me. It also leaves the original disc hole where it seats to the hopper unchanged.

Hope this makes sense.

Discs are $5 each.

Last edited by 1SOW; December 29, 2011 at 12:15 AM.