The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 23, 2015, 11:35 AM   #1
GunBuyerWPB

M70 Featherweight Question.

I have a featherweight in .270Win which has a buttpad in hardness equal to a piece of granite. I was looking to change it out and would like to hear opinions on which replacement I should go with.

I was currently thinking Pachmayer Decelerator or Limbsaver Airtech. Any thoughts, pro or cons that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.
Old January 23, 2015, 11:44 AM   #2
kraigwy

I don't know which Featherweight you have. I have two, a post 64 Model 70 in 257 and another FN Featherweight in 270 Wn.

There is a big difference in the butt pads on the two rifles, with the butt pad on the FN it kicks less then the 257 Rbts. (neither are objectionable.)

I'd check the Winchester web site and see if you can order the new FN Model 70 butt pad and put it on your post 64.

If its a pre-64, leave it a long and get a shoulder pad from Buffalo Arms instead of screwing up the rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 23, 2015, 11:46 AM   #3
William T. Watts

I would leave as is, I have the same rifle and the recoil is more than manageable, the only way I would replace is if it were damaged.. If you decide to sell the rifle whatever you put on it will lessen the value.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; January 23, 2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old January 23, 2015, 12:26 PM   #4
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by William T. Watts
I would leave as is, I have the same rifle and the recoil is more than manageable, the only way I would replace is if it were damaged.. If you decide to sell the rifle whatever you put on it will lessen the value.. William
I disagree, what one shooter finds manageable another might find unbearable. Recoil is totally subjective to the shooter. Plus replacing a recoil pad won't hurt the value on any M70 except the Pre-64 M70's and that's only if someone isn't looking for a shooter grade Pre-64. Even some of the Pre-64's were offered with the option of a recoil pad, but most came with a metal butt plate. I'd just replace the recoil pad with one of the same color that's currently on your Winchester.
Old January 23, 2015, 12:51 PM   #5
RIDE-RED 350r

I can't speak on the other brand mentioned... But I recently picked up a brand new FN Super Grade in 338WM. It has the Pachmayr Deccelerator on it and I understand recoil tolerance varies greatly from one person to the next... But I find that the deccelerator does a terrific job dampening the recoil. Its a more powerful recoil, but not as sharp (if that makes any sense) as my Remmy 700 ADL in 270Win and synthetic stock..

Looky here, looks like you can get one pre-fit and might just be able to swap out and retain the ability to put the original back on later if you wish... http://www.pachmayr.com/home/prefit-pads.php
Old January 23, 2015, 01:57 PM   #6
Pathfinder45

I prefer a slip-on recoil pad which doesn't alter the rifle but does increase length-of-pull a little, which also reduces apparent recoil. That might not be desireable for a smaller person, but it works for me.
Old January 23, 2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Scorch

Decelerators look the best, Kick-Eez pads work the best. Limbsavers work OK, but they get sticky and lose their shape in a year or so.
Old January 23, 2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Paul B.

I have several rifles with Decelerators on them. I have a Limbsaver on one rifle that is wrapped with masking tape as it is turning to goo. I just haven't gotten around to removing it. It will be replaced with a Decelerator. Nuff said? FWIW, the rifle in question is a .338 Win. Mag.
Paul B.
Old January 23, 2015, 05:48 PM   #9
gman3

I have a Featherweight 30-06 (FN) with the Decelerator. It is almost pleasant to shoot. If that helps.
Old January 23, 2015, 08:10 PM   #10
30Cal

Consider buying a shooting coat for shooting at the range and such. I'd go with that or a slip on option rather than altering the rifle. Or get an aftermarket stock and save the factory one.
Old January 23, 2015, 08:46 PM   #11
Boogershooter

I own a few fw's! I also find the recoil of the 270 very sharp! My 308 and 25-06 are pretty nice! There are numerous shooting pads and vests that will help! If you have access to a lady's shoulder pad or cup; whatever they call them will help without changing yur lop or eye relief!
Old January 23, 2015, 08:51 PM   #12
Boogershooter

Ride red where did u find your supergrade? I've looked everywhere and can't find anymore! I contacted winchester directly and they have none scheduled to b built this year! None in the warehouse a available for shipping either! GOA, GB, nor buds hAve any either! None of the major distributors have any! Lipseys, sports south, nobody!!!
Old January 23, 2015, 08:54 PM   #13
Boogershooter

Sorry let me clarify! They have plenty of short action 308,243, and 7-08 but no long actions! They will produce 30-06 in April and may but no 338's this year
Old January 23, 2015, 09:22 PM   #14
gman3

Just did a quick check of Gunbroker. There are several Supergrades listed.

300, 30-06, 270. 338, 308, etc.
Old January 23, 2015, 09:39 PM   #15
Boogershooter

I have bought 2 nib rifles from gb! Neither were new! I'm not complaining as they were in great shape and got good deals but the ones they have listed are more than the msrp! One remington 700 mtn rifle I got had news paper around a stock screw to I guess keep it tight! I feel certain reminton didn't send it from the factory like that! If it doesn't have a invoice with a nib gun I don't purchase it! Anybody else?
Old January 23, 2015, 11:10 PM   #16
Snyper

Quote:
Consider buying a shooting coat for shooting at the range and such. I'd go with that or a slip on option rather than altering the rifle. Or get an aftermarket stock and save the factory one.
Several conpanies make "pre-fit" pad that require no alteration to the stock unless you want to change the LOP
Old January 24, 2015, 08:44 AM   #17
GunBuyerWPB

Thanks for the advice. My Featherweight is not a pre-64, but does leave a little sting in the shoulder. I want to put on a new shoulder pad to make it more pleasant to shoot at the range and also during a hunt. I do have what I refer to as "monkey long" arms so more LOP is a plus. Lol. So most are agreed to the Decelerator. I will post before and after pics after it is completed.
Old January 24, 2015, 09:45 AM   #18
gman3

You will most likely be very pleased with the results, and will enjoy shooting the rifle more than you did before. You also will probably shoot it more accurately since you will not be thinking about the recoil as much.
Old January 24, 2015, 02:56 PM   #19
RIDE-RED 350r

Boogershooter: I got my SG 338 through GB. The seller is a shop owner here in NY where I live. He just happened to have what I was looking for.

I'm not sure if it is against the rules to post a link to his GB listings openly in thread here... So PM me if you like and I can PM the link to you. I'm not sure what he has left in SG if anything at all. I may have bought the last one. Got it in late November.
Old January 25, 2015, 01:33 AM   #20
Boogershooter

Thanks red ride! I just got one a month ago from my lgs n 338 win mag.It's been on the shelf for 2 years! My father n law wanted one also! No luck! We have searched diligently No distributor they deal with can get one! Looks like it will b 2016 b4 they will produce new ones! When buying such a nice piece of wood I like to see the grain b4 purchase! I've been contacted from several gun shops since posting my post but all want $1400 or more! That's ridiculous after winchester ships them for $935! 20% is expected but 40% with no ky is unacceptable!!!!!!
Old January 25, 2015, 01:38 AM   #21
Boogershooter

I wrote a check for $1214 for mine! Ol lady almost flipped til she admired then slobbered over it!
Old January 25, 2015, 09:54 AM   #22
RIDE-RED 350r

Yes Sir, I hear you on wanting to see the actual rifle up for sale. That was another reason I was happy to buy from Performance Shooting through GB. He posted a bunch of pictures of the actual piece being sold, so I had a good look at what I was buying. If you look at his GB inventory, you will see what I mean.

Maybe I'm just a little picky, but when it comes to buying something kind of fancy like that, I never cared for sellers that use the generic factory picture leaving it up to chance what you are actually getting.

Back to the OP's topic though, I think he will be happy with the Deccelerator.